6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
In NC, he'd be charged. I think I was a fairly irresponsible discharge of a firearm.

Once the man made it outside, Chris fired a warning shot. The man, who was carrying a stolen laundry hamper, began running. Chris emptied the magazine, firing off 12 shots by the time the intruder neared a fence in the family's front yard, the 11-year-old told the station.

The final shot hit the man in the leg as he was hopping the fence, the boy said.

"I shot through the hamper he was carrying," Chris said. "It was a full metal jacket bullet. It went straight through the back of his leg. He started crying like a little baby."

Shoot him in the house? Absolutely. Fire 12 shots at a man running away, even with property...not an authorized use of deadly force.

All for self-defense, even by somebody of his age...but this seems like celebrating a really dangerous situation.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
While I personally have to no problem at all with shooting a criminal while he's running away, it isn't legal in most states. It should be but we have to play by the rules. Hopefully the 12 shots the kid didn't land on the thief were fired in a safe direction and not at the neighbors house.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I never want to see an 11 year old have to make the decision to shoot anybody... still too young to fully understand and comprehend the complexity and legal ramifications of the situation

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
This story made me go have a talk with my 12 year old. He knew the rules. But it was a good chance to review them. The problem is many of us have taken our children and taught them to shoot and hunt. But rarely do we discuss self defense with them. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it's because I live in montana. He's more likely to have to shoot a fox chasing the cat in the yard than an intruder in the house. He knows where my 45 is. He knows how to shoot it. He actually loves shooting it. Last time out he was quick to point out I have 2 1911s and that seemed rather wasteful. I really only need one. He'd be happy to take the ria off my hands. This article was a good chance to go over with him and discuss what the kid did wrong and right. When is it ok to shoot. When is it not ok. It does happen. Not long ago there was a 12 year old girl in butte that killed an intruder with her trap shotgun. She was very active in competitions and evidently not the pushover the intruder thought. She did everything by the book and was a great example that children can properly defend themselves with a firearm when backed into a corner. It's a shame it would ever come to that.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Not in Texas and probably other states. Now if the perp had nothing with him as he was making his getaway things may have been different.

Do any of you remember the Tom Horn ordeal. He shot some hoodrats stealing from his neighbors house. He was nobilled.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow

Parents worse nightmare to say the least.

I applaud this young man for not freaking out and remaining calm. Intruder in the house with a gun needed to be handled and he did!

In Texas his parents would have been arrested for leaving a firearm reachable by a child. BS!

Simply put; ONE FOR OUR SIDE!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
No child should have to go through what he did. Like BW said here in NC can't shoot them when they are leaving.
The best thing the young man is alive. I think the parents would be in trouble for have a weapon available to the 11 year old here.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I hardly see this as a "good" thing. A gun is left around and a kid uses poor decision making to unnecessarily shoot someone. I think it's great he had it for protection (we can agree on that), but for Christ sake he fired a warning shot. This could have easily escalated the situation and gotten himself killed. I'm glad he's alive, and I'm glad the bad guy got caught, but I don't see so much positive in this story. There's hundreds of others that could be used to as examples for the benefits of self protection. Thank god he and the neighbors aren't all dead in this situation.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
One question, where were the parents?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I should have been more specific on the part I liked. It was the short interview, the kid was cool as a cucumber and his explanation cracked me up. But yes, some more training should be in order for the young man.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Further detail

Child is home schooled. Parent had gone to run an errand. Criminal threatened child's life. Same guy had already robbed this house once recently and several others in the neighborhood. I think, Alabama's castle law will give complete immunity once the felony event started. Pretty sure the kid could have walked up and administered a finishing shot to the head and would have full immunity once the home invasion started.

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
Love a good ending to a tale of this sort. Shame that the kid had to step up, bravo for the adults/authorities standing behind the brave actions of an 11 yr. old. Piss on the P.C./"Sensible"/B.S. opinions of the media and the anti-2A crowd. The P.O.S. intruder deserves worse than a limp.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Child is home schooled. Parent had gone to run an errand. Criminal threatened child's life. Same guy had already robbed this house once recently and several others in the neighborhood. I think, Alabama's castle law will give complete immunity once the felony event started. Pretty sure the kid could have walked up and administered a finishing shot to the head and would have full immunity once the home invasion started.
Exactly my point, this is a few minutes from me. The parents knew that there were threats of this sort and chose not to protect their child. It's a best-case result but if the boy had killed the robber it would have changed his life forever. Taking a human life is a serious decision to make and not one that should be left to a child.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
It's a best-case result but if the boy had killed the robber it would have changed his life forever. Taking a human life is a serious decision to make and not one that should be left to a child.
His life is changed forever! So will his parents as I would hate to be them with the civil lawsuit coming their way and civil law is far different than criminal law. The kid is lucky to not have accidentally shot someone else with the 11 missed discharged bullets. Here in California the parents would have been arrested by now for leaving a firearm unsecured and in the reach of a child and where someone got injured. The kid might have also been arrested for attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm within a residential area. I am glad the kid was unharmed.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
His life is changed forever! So will his parents as I would hate to be them with the civil lawsuit coming their way and civil law is far different than criminal law. The kid is lucky to not have accidentally shot someone else with the 11 missed discharged bullets. Here in California the parents would have been arrested by now for leaving a firearm unsecured and in the reach of a child and where someone got injured. The kid might have also been arrested for attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm within a residential area. I am glad the kid was unharmed.
All the more reason not to live in California.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
+1... good thing he doesnt live in kalifornia or New York and probably most states
He should be ok in AL

perp being a crackhead should be good for boy, i'm sure perp is well known by the law

warning shot, not good, neither were stray boolits.
if kid was charged with endangering safety I would agree. sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way. he is very lucky he didnt kill an innocent stander byer, that woulda really changed his life.

knife, not a good idea, esp. if doesnt know how to use it(most dont), shoulda grabbed pistol from get go

I was taught in 7th grade by my civics teacher,
#1, if you shoot an intruder make sure he is in the house, if not drag him back in (WI. law, can not shoot if not in house, then anyway, now we have CC, still can not protect property with deadly force in WI., only life)
#2, make sure he is dead (to avoid civil lawsuit)

a trained child regarding firearms is better than an untrained child, more respect for weapon, knows how to use, less accidents

·
Registered
890 Posts
Alabama's Castle law is full immunity against both criminal and civil law. The fact that a minor was involved does raise an interesting question as to the immunity extending to the parents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts