6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks the Ruger Mini 6.8 SPC strikes again. This time on a younger 8 point buck, but we needed the meat so he got the hammer dropped. This is on public land too I might add, so pressure is pretty high. Anyways I am not shooting from a rest, so the shot entered through the beginning of the stomach, ripped through every major organ and dropped him 20 yards from the shot. The bullet recovered is at the same weight roughly, pretty nice to recover next to the front quarter where it broke the bone and stopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Did you hand load it? The conventional wisdom for a while was don't use that round, it doesn't go fast enough to open. But, hunters posted good results, with factory ammo even.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you hand load it? The conventional wisdom for a while was don't use that round, it doesn't go fast enough to open. But, hunters posted good results, with factory ammo even.

I did handload it with the 110GR TSX Barnes Bullet, 25 grains of AA1680, CCI Large Rifle Primer, and 2.230 OAL. These have an accuracy of roughly the same as the factory remington UMC 115 grains that shoot just insane in this rifle. It's my opinion that if I put it on a concrete bench, with a proper rifle rest, I could shoot below MOA with the remington ammo. Plenty of testing has yielded 2 shots touching no problems at all, and the 3rd shot is just a bit off, but you know, it is what it is.

I need to get a chronograph, because Barnes numbers seem a little bit off, but that may be due to the confusing problems when 6.8 SPC first came out. Anyways, I love it personally. I am going to kill everything in NA with it hopefully if the stars align.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts