6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be so many variants of 308 AR parts; I decided to just buy one and up grade as I wanted or needed to, great reviews on the one a chose.. Not - SMDH
anyway I've polished cheap ml spec stuff that is now smoother than the trigger on this one, so I also bought what I think is a really nice 3.5 lb trigger. no help on my accuracy,,, cheap factory ammo maybe?? (Solid mount 2X12 Leo) and a good bench.
Gun show Saturday and found some IMR 4895 I'll find out sometime this week when my dies arrive.
It needs a good Adjustable gas block, not this silly thing they call adjustable,, but it looks like what I want is not to be found; out of stock, no back order?
The charging handle needs to be up graded,, I never would have though it was so hard to find the right size or length on a charging handle.
Sorry for the vent but I'm so very disappointed after $1400,,,
I've put together a couple of 6.8s and 223s for myself and help guide others on there build that all turned out to be tack drivers and flawless oppression....
Thinking I should have never went down this road with the 308 when my 68's seem to be so much better in every way..

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems to be so many variants of 308 AR parts; I decided to just buy one and up grade as I wanted or needed to, great reviews on the one a chose.. Not - SMDH
anyway I've polished cheap ml spec stuff that is now smoother than the trigger on this one, so I also bought what I think is a really nice 3.5 lb trigger. no help on my accuracy,,, cheap factory ammo maybe?? (Solid mount 2X12 Leo) and a good bench.
Gun show Saturday and found some IMR 4895 I'll find out sometime this week when my dies arrive.
It needs a good Adjustable gas block, not this silly thing they call adjustable,, but it looks like what I want is not to be found; out of stock, no back order?
The charging handle needs to be up graded,, I never would have though it was so hard to find the right size or length on a charging handle.
Sorry for the vent but I'm so very disappointed after $1400,,,
I've put together a couple of 6.8s and 223s for myself and help guide others on there build that all turned out to be tack drivers and flawless oppression....
Thinking I should have never went down this road with the 308 when my 68's seem to be so much better in every way..
Operation not Oppression,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Some will probably say “ there’s the problem , you didn’t spend $4,000” Truth is as I’m sure you found out with your earlier builds ,Barrel ( assuming is properly installed ) trigger and sights / scope makes a gun capable of shooting accurate if it has right ammo and the shooter does their part . If the scope and shooter works on different gun then it’s the barrel or ammo . You are on the path to finding out .
I do agree that if targets are under 600 lbs and 300 yards or less a 6.8 will do just fine with less weight and recoil .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
The new Ruger SFAR has my interest at this time. I may pick one up next month... 308 and in the 6-7 pound range? Also the extra drilling for gas while supressed is pretty neat and a 4 stage gas block per-installed...decent trigger... I want to see how it runs supressed for people. Ive heard some decent things about accuracy... 1-2 MOA with PPU, which is damn decent for a 1k 308 ar style rifle! I'm thinking a new 308 hunting rig.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got reloading components this week and things look a lot better. I think the new trigger helped a lot too. I have a real adjustable gas block on the way, hot factory ammo was slinging @ 1 and 2 sometimes 3:00 a clock no matter what screw I put in this thing with 4 inch groups @ a 100,, suppressed; the brass came out black smut,,, few other goody's on order... Going to make work .

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll be joining you soon. I got a DPMS pattern lower that I need to start collecting parts for. The .308 Criterion barrel I want is out of stock at the moment, so that gives me time to get an upper and handguard figured out. I'm going for 6 lbs bare so the Roam upper and hand guard look good.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be joining you soon. I got a DPMS pattern lower that I need to start collecting parts for. The .308 Criterion barrel I want is out of stock at the moment, so that gives me time to get an upper and handguard figured out. I'm going for 6 lbs bare so the Roam upper and hand guard look good.
Man share your build when your done, maybe share what parts you used for us that don't have a clue yet..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was inspired by this thread Ultralight Elk Hunting .308 Build
He goes into great detail about his build.
I'm planning on this barrel for mine though https://criterionbarrels.com/produc...ightweight-18-5-308-ar-barrel/?v=7516fd43adaa
I'd recommend getting your upper and handguard from the same company to ensure proper fit. Otherwise stick with combinations that others have used so you know they'll work well together.
There are 3 types of 308 AR lowers now, so getting the upper and lower to work together takes a bit of planning too. That seems to be easier than the hand guards though. Lots of height differences that aren't spec'ed out so it can be difficult to match properly.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got reloading components this week and things look a lot better. I think the new trigger helped a lot too. I have a real adjustable gas block on the way, hot factory ammo was slinging @ 1 and 2 sometimes 3:00 a clock no matter what screw I put in this thing with 4 inch groups @ a 100,, suppressed; the brass came out black smut,,, few other goody's on order... Going to make work .
If you're going to run suppressed just get used to the FILTHY cases.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I fell into the pit myself, yesterday. I ran across a new Ruger 308 SFAR (Small Frame Auto Rifle) for $1,200 out the door. I haven't shot it yet but it's pretty impressive at 6.8lbs and a 4 position AGB. I got it to run suppressed primarily so I wanted the 16in barreled version. It's the same size as an AR15 but has an enlarged magwell. For the money it's pretty good on features and of course, if anything doesn't hold-up, Ruger has the best CS in the industry. Kind of a no risk trial for something I've wanted - an affordable, lightweight 308 AR.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I fell into the pit myself, yesterday. I ran across a new Ruger 308 SFAR (Small Frame Auto Rifle) for $1,200 out the door. I haven't shot it yet but it's pretty impressive at 6.8lbs and a 4 position AGB. I got it to run suppressed primarily so I wanted the 16in barreled version. It's the same size as an AR15 but has an enlarged magwell. For the money it's pretty good on features and of course, if anything doesn't hold-up, Ruger has the best CS in the industry. Kind of a no risk trial for something I've wanted - an affordable, lightweight 308 AR.
Wow, that SFAR has a lot of great features going for it. Ruger® SFAR™ Autoloading Rifle Model 5610 It be nice to see some side-to-side comparisons to other 308 ARs. I wonder how many parts are AR15 compatible.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Give us an update on how it operates. If it’s good, I’ll pick one up and maybe sell my 716. The 716 is a pig of a gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts