6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to buy a 6.8 spc upper, or barrel/ bolt assembly. would like a ko-tonics barrel, chromed and 1/11 twist, but will contomplate others. used is Perfectly okay,as i am looking to make it on a budget. would like to buy barrel with matched bolt, or complete upper with bolt included. handguards dont matter, as i am wanting a yhm smooth forarm. thanks guys, brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
The post is false. My Barrett and LWRC shot 500 rounds each with SSA Xtreme loads (The Original loads) with no issues. If I had to buy a 6.8 SPC platform in 2008, would get a LWRC and the Barrett REC7. And before I get flamed on my decision, just want you to know I have LMT MRP and a Ko-Tonics complete rifles and they are great but like the funtionality and ease of clean of the gas piston. The plus side of the GP is that accuracy is still sub-moa at 100 yards and consistent of <2.5" groupings at 300 yards.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
441 Posts
You won't get flamed on here you must be thinking of another site. :wink:

But as much as I do like those guns and they may have very well shot that ammo they have a less then ideal barrel spec. The chamber is fine but the twist is jsut to fast. In the recent testing it shows swipes with the combat loads and none of the 1:11 twists do. The 1:11 -12 are able to produce significantly higher velocities as well. this isn't those producers fault they followed what the mil testing used. The problem is the only reason that twist was used in the tests was it was the only twist being made in a .270 bore becasue it is used by the 270 win. It is jsut to fast and hurts the 6.8s top performance. the creators of this round from the beginning wanted to use a 1:12 twist barrel and thought it to be ideal but non could be found with out a long wait. All that needs to be done is to keep their rifle exactly as is and change only the twist. Then the rifle would be one of the tops in performance.

If you read that the owner of the company of the ammo you shot says it is right on the raged edge of being able to handle the combat the problem is the thing that is holding back the ammo companies from making high vel ammo is the liability of it being shot in the faster twist barrel 10 and faster and causing issues. No one likes being a defendant in litigation.

We can get an extra 300 fps compared to the 10 twist just by changing the twist. For the 115 SMK 300 fps is a 21% increase in energy or 408 lb increase. It also works out to a decrease in drop @ 500 yard of 26% or 22". I think that is quite significant and worth the change.

There's nothing wrong or reason to get flamed for liking a particular gun and thinking it performs great but t the same time there is room for improvement just becasue its Barrett doesn't make it perfect or ideal. Would you stop liking it or think it worse if they changed the twist on it and gain 200 fps?

I think the new piston setup they have is great and looks much better then even the original just wish they would change the barrel twist. They would sell many time over more if they did.

Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also recommend buying from Ko-Tonics. He took the time to call me back and answer a few questions I had.

I'm also on a budget now and buy what parts I can on payday. It may take longer but in the end you get what you want and if you buy from Ko-Tonics you'll know your getting the best currently out there.

As a side note if you like saving money, spend $30 and get a Curio and Relic License . Places like Brownells give discounts to C&R FFL holders and some of those discounts will more than pay for the $30 fee of the FFL on one order. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts