6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a peace officer in the state of California. I have never purchased parts to make my own firearm, I have always purchased complete firearms. I am very interested in purchasing complete parts to make my very own short barrel AR-9. Would someone here be interested in helping me step by step on what exactly to purchase? If anyone here has done it and could give me web sites and actual parts they recommend I purchase? Also from what I understand if I go this route instead of buying a complete AR-9 I save a buck, how true is this?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing from someone.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I just sold a bunch of AR9 stuff on the EE section! :)

Building vs buying doesn't necessarily save you money; however it can if you ever end to changing stuff out. When you build it you can get exactly what you want the first time. Unlike DI AR15s they do not require a gas system so you don't have to be concerned on reliability based off gas port alignment and other stuff. I've built a couple and this is what I've realized(completely my opinion and there are others here smarter than me that may disagree).

1. You can use any upper but they do make uppers with smaller ejection ports but its purely looks vs function.

2. Buy a barrel that has some good feedback. Difference in it and a rifle barrel is feeding reliability vs accuracy. I personally have ballistic Advantage, bear creek, and Macon Armory. All have worked and never jamed that I know of.

3. Bolt carrier groups are not a huge concern because it's a solid mass vs a rotating bolt. So don't over spend, just get a plain Jane nitride one. Just make sure you get one that's for the type of mags your gonna use. I think most now days work on both glock/colt but some used to only be cut for colt mags.

4. Lower receivers. You can buy lowers that take glock mags or use a standard AR lower and get a magwell adapter that takes colt SMG mags (they make one now that does glock but mag release and reliability is questionable). Uses standard buffer tube/stock but get an extended heavyweight 9mm buffer. Blowback guns have a harsher recoil and will hit back of buffer tube extremely hard.

4. Most standard AR15 trigger/lower kits work for 9mm. Never used a dedicated 9mm lower kit before myself.

I think that's really it in a nutshell. I personally went the magwell adapter and colt smg mag route for looks and already had tons of lowers but would probably buy one of aeros new receiver sets if I was to do it over(also like spartan lowers from joebobs).

Aimsurplus is normally my big goto for parts
Then JoebobOutfitters or primary arms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, thank you for your quick response buddy. I will start looking into in.

I was also thinking about just buying one, I saw this one on BUDS AND GUNS. Anyone have any real feed back besides what is on their website.
Freedom Ordnance FX9P10 9mm 31+1 10 Buds Exclusive

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've bought from buds before so they are g2g but never that brand. Sorry. :( look at primary arms too they got some on sale for same price/cheaper and foxtrot Mike has good reviews.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I didn't go 9mm, I went 10mm, but I would look at CMMG for the delayed blow back. They sell the bolt / barrel combo. The biggest thing to look for IMO is the last round bolt hold open. Everyone does it differently. My advice would to buy a receiver set

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hard to argue with delayed blowback setups. I've not shot one but all I hear/read they are smoother and less recoil. I was selling a lot of my AR9 stuff to buy a delayed blowback stribog. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have both a CMMG 9mm AR carbine and pistol.

AR Pistol

AR Carbine

P-MAG conversion insert.

If you have an AR pistol lower already, or even a lower you can convert. Then all you need to do is build an upper and get the mag conversion inserts. That could save you a bit of money.
I got the CMMG barrel/BCG kits from RightToBear when they were on sale last year, unfortunately they are out of stock. Got the mag insert 3-pack from them, they run about $78.
Now I do have a direct blowback AR pistol set up for Colt style magazines.
It has become a safe queen since I got the CMMG RDB put together.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
470 Posts
Glenn, would you please write a little on why you prefer the CMMG system?
Thanks
Sure!
The CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback, (RDB), uses a BCG and barrel extension similar to a standard AR type.
Which means you can use a standard or H buffer with it
That means you don't have all the weight of a direct blowback BCG and buffer.
Which translates into less recoil and getting back on target faster.
With the inserts to convert Magpul Gen 2 or Gen 3 30 round magazines, No need for a special lower or magazine block.
If you have load bearing rigs for your standard AR, The conversion mags can be used in them.
Seems like CMMG did their homework on the RDB system.
I have not had any issues with the two I put together.
They are fun to shoot and have been reliable so far.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sure!
Which means you can use a standard or H buffer with it
That means you don't have all the weight of a direct blowback BCG and buffer.
Thanks,
Glenn
I run an H3 and Tubbs spring on my 10mm. Been able to put everything from factory 10mm to my hand loads to Buffalo bore 200 grain thru it. It will shoot the hot loads, but the case smilies since the chamber isn't fully supported. So no reloading the hot stuff. Runs fine on my hand loads. Ive chrono'd my 180s at over 1500 fps from a 8" barrel.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I bought my own lower and built that and then purchased a complete short-barreled upper from Palmetto State Armory. It has run like a top and I have had no issues cycling anything in it. I don't really have any issues with getting on target and I don't think it is the delayed blowback setup. Could be because it is an SBR so I can shoulder it so recoil is easy to tame. I think I have a 6inch barrel on it because that was the only thing available when I was looking to buy.

The only thing I would be aware of is that you are from Cali so make sure that you follow all applicable laws I know the normal layperson has many hoops to jump through but not sure if it applies to LEO the same because I know LEO have an exemption from the handgun roster but not sure if that applies to Ar style guns as well. Make sure you are also aware of the pistol vs SBR rules.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts