6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at possibly one of these:

http://www.sightmark.com/sm18007.html

Does anyone have experience with one? Are there better options out there for some digital night vision? I'm looking at something that's useful out to at least 100y, is less than $1000 and is under 2 lbs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im also interested in feedback here. Been considering some basic NV and or Thermal for awhile. My issue is, im afraid to buy something $$$ that is outdated very fast by new tech.. Sorry if I hijacked a little.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had the photon and the atn x-sight. Let the photon go and kept the x-sight.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Im also interested in feedback here. Been considering some basic NV and or Thermal for awhile. My issue is, im afraid to buy something $$$ that is outdated very fast by new tech.. Sorry if I hijacked a little.
X2. I am also afraid of them going out, and then not having a warranty since most only last 2 years or less. Does anyone have any experience of them having issues after warranty is expired, and being able to get it fixed/replaced?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the photon and the atn x-sight. Let the photon go and kept the x-sight.
Which models did you get? Was the photon the old 5x or one of the newer 4x or 6x? Is the ATN the 3-12 or the 5-18? What did you like better about the ATN?

X2. I am also afraid of them going out, and then not having a warranty since most only last 2 years or less. Does anyone have any experience of them having issues after warranty is expired, and being able to get it fixed/replaced?
This is a real concern for me too. I recently had a scope break on me after firing almost 1000 rounds with it. Now I'm hesitant to get any optic without a lifetime warranty. The main reason I was leaning tward sightmark is because of their warranty. I have no idea how they'll hold to it though, I'm not sure how reputable they are.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The photon was the newer 4x. I started out with the 3-12 x-sight and yes there were a lot of problems, mostly focus. ATN let me upgrade to the 5-18, and with the last 2 firmware updates I'm really happy with it. I only night hunt for 2-3 weeks a year in Texas and the photon sucks during the day, hole in lens cap for day use. The x-sight could use a better viewer, low pixels make it grainy on high mag. but for me using the 5-18 at around 10x out to 200yrds, the longest that I'll shoot, it fits the bill for BOTH day and night. I'm hearing that the 3-12 issues are being addressed. The x-sight is just more veratile. If I was a dedicated night hunter I'd spend more and get a dedicated night scope but for $600 and my usage I'm satisfied, NOW, as I said there were some problems at the start. With all the bad reviews online I was worried at first. ATN should not have released the scope when they did. They have continued to improve the scope. There's better out there but at 3-4 times the cost. Hope this helps. Edited this to add it IS heavier than the photon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm looking at possibly one of these:

http://www.sightmark.com/sm18007.html

Does anyone have experience with one? Are there better options out there for some digital night vision? I'm looking at something that's useful out to at least 100y, is less than $1000 and is under 2 lbs.
Have Photon XT 4.6 and am pleased with it. Using aux illuminator and is clear.

Ran upon this also today in another forum. digitalcrosshairs.net and looks interesting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The photon was the newer 4x. I started out with the 3-12 x-sight and yes there were a lot of problems, mostly focus. ATN let me upgrade to the 5-18, and with the last 2 firmware updates I'm really happy with it. I only night hunt for 2-3 weeks a year in Texas and the photon sucks during the day, hole in lens cap for day use. The x-sight could use a better viewer, low pixels make it grainy on high mag. but for me using the 5-18 at around 10x out to 200yrds, the longest that I'll shoot, it fits the bill for BOTH day and night. I'm hearing that the 3-12 issues are being addressed. The x-sight is just more veratile. If I was a dedicated night hunter I'd spend more and get a dedicated night scope but for $600 and my usage I'm satisfied, NOW, as I said there were some problems at the start. With all the bad reviews online I was worried at first. ATN should not have released the scope when they did. They have continued to improve the scope. There's better out there but at 3-4 times the cost. Hope this helps. Edited this to add it IS heavier than the photon.
This is all good information, thanks. I'm glad you mentioned that the photon isn't great in daylight compared to the x-sight.

Is analog out for consideration? I don't know the differences between digital and analog?
The reason I was only looking at digital at the moment is because any traditional night vision under $1000 I feel wouldn't suit my needs. That said if anyone knows of some night vision that isn't digital, effective out to 100 yards and isn't over a grand, please speak up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have heard the Sightmark Digital NV scopes are good.
Remember that with digital NV you will need a good IR Illuminator. Usually the ones that come with the digital NV scopes are not that great. The one that came with my X-Sight was only good to about 60-70 yards.
I can finally say after all the firmware updates my ATN X-Sight is doing very well. I bought a Torch Pro IR Illuminator to go with my X-Sight and I can see to the 200 yard mark easily.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I picked up a Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42s today at a gun show. A few guys there had good things to say about it, so I went with it.
I'l try to post back some images later after it gets dark here. I paid $600 including the sightmark QD 30mm mount for it.

I tried it today in the daytime, and could easily make out some young Mallards at 100 yards. I could not see details on the ducks, but could clearly see the birds.
I'll see how it does tonight and report back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That being said, I never intend to use this scope in the daytime. I can't imagine using a digital scope in the daytime instead of good optics.

Kind of like shooting your pistol indoors with all of your protection on, or riding a motorcycle with a helmet on, doesn't really give you the same experience.
But for seeing in the dark, I'm pretty excited.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cant get the camera to see the digital display. Not sure why. This usually works for me. Will try another night and report back.

But it looks decent. I dont have anything else to compare it to. I believe I could identify and shoot small game at 100yds no prob, and coyote plus size game to 200.

The controls are very easy.

Have not yet mounted to a rifle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question about your Photon 4.6

Have Photon XT 4.6 and am pleased with it. Using aux illuminator and is clear.

Ran upon this also today in another forum. digitalcrosshairs.net and looks interesting.

Are you using this Photon on an AR? If so, what kind of rings/scope mount are you using? I was told to use an 2 or 3 inch offset mount. My options are cheap ebay or amazon "Made in China" option, or Vortex.... but they also make that one in China.

Thanks, BC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts