6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to some of the new imr powders (supposedly temp insensitive) and was looking to find a starting load to try for hunting. Since I have access to agricultural dammage permits to hunt in warm weather I was looking at setting up a load for my stag 7L for all temp ranges but have absolutely 0 load data found on any of these powders. Does anyone have any contacts who might be able to give me some ideas?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have access to some of the new imr powders (supposedly temp insensitive) and was looking to find a starting load to try for hunting. Since I have access to agricultural dammage permits to hunt in warm weather I was looking at setting up a load for my stag 7L for all temp ranges but have absolutely 0 load data found on any of these powders. Does anyone have any contacts who might be able to give me some ideas?
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Look at 8208 XBR. I sure am.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And not a single one running the new powder much less behind a barnes 95gr ttsx. Maybe someone has better sources than me, still waiting for word from barnes and imr on possible starting loads but it's been 3 days.

Powders
Imr 4166 (don't have but can get)
Imr 4451 (would prefer this one)
AA2200 (back up, would need 2 separate loads)
Hodgdon H110
Hodgdon H4227
Imr 7977 (no way)
Imr 4350 (also no way)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
And not a single one running the new powder much less behind a barnes 95gr ttsx. Maybe someone has better sources than me, still waiting for word from barnes and imr on possible starting loads but it's been 3 days.

Powders
Imr 4166 (don't have but can get)
Imr 4451 (would prefer this one)
AA2200 (back up, would need 2 separate loads)
Hodgdon H110
Hodgdon H4227
Imr 7977 (no way)
Imr 4350 (also no way)
Be carefull with H110 or W296 they can behave badly with reduced charges.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I assume you are looking at the new 4166. I tested it and found it was insensitive to temperature change but not that fast for the 6.8mm. 4451 is too slow and better suited for the .270 Win. Below is a plot powder charge vs velocity with 130 grain bullets in an 18" ARP. It shows velocity potential compared to other powders. The sticks are pretty big with 4166 so a drop tube can be a benefit for getting more charge into a case. With lighter bullets, you should be able to start with 31.0 grains of 4166. Not sure how much more powder you will be able to fit in a case. Don't expect the velocity to be that much higher than shown below, e.g., 31.0 grains under a 100 gr and 130 gr bullets will give you approximately the same muzzle velocity. The chamber pressure is just higher with the heavier bullet.

XBR and H322 should have more velocity/energy potential when used in the 6.8 and are temperature stable powders. These are the two powders I'm working with now to develop my winter loads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well those are 2 powders I don't have... may have to invest in the Hodgdon when I get back to the store. And those were just the powders on my bench for .300 win mag, .270, .243, 6.8 spc and .44 mag (rifle and pistol) don't know much about the xbr but will look in to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts