6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long Term Review of Smoke Composite Stocks.
<O:p</O:p
Thanks to CHASW back in April, he was the first to post information on the Smoke Composites stocks.

I was stuck above four pounds on my light weight AR 6.8 SPC. The stock just looks cool, but instead of getting the lightest one, I purchased the closed version. It just looked stronger. I ordered it 4/21/15 and got it one week later.
Can you say wow, Smoke Composites carbon fiber stock is sweet. Super nice finish and light weight. Stocks weigh 111 grams or 3.91 ounces. Adding the castle nut the weight goes up to 4.12 ounces. Add the end plate and you are 119 grams or 4.19 ounces.

This
stock is beautiful and cuts 3 to 4 ounces over the lightest carbine tube stock combo. First time my AR dropped below 4 pounds. Shot it with this stock a lot. Amazing but the carbon fiber dampens the AR twang.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Long term review Smoke Composite stocks

But I was also working on my AR 308 and had a great place for the closed stock to go, right to the AR 308. So I ordered the open version that is 0.7 ounces lighter and that new stock went on my AR 6.8. My scale read exactly what they listed it as, 93 grams or 3.30 ounces, and 3.55 ounces or 101 grams with the castle nut and end plate. My superlight lower weighs 15.89 ounces, that one used the polymer New Frontier trigger group. My super light hunter lower now weighs 18.19 ounces with a SSA-E trigger and everything else V7 parts.<O:p</O:p
By May 25[SUP]th[/SUP] the AR 6.8 was down to 3.89 pounds with the new barrel and the new Smoke Composites open stock. Again with the new barrel I shot a lot at the range.

Now four months later the Smoke Composites open stock still looks brand new. No wear at all from the aluminum section of the stock that threads into the receiver. No nicks or scratches anywhere, which is amazing for me. All I can say is I love this stock it just feels right.
July 1[SUP]st[/SUP] I put the Smoke Composites closed carbine stock on my AR 308. For those of you who have shot AR 308s you know that is the ultimate test of a stock. The action is like a heavy sledge hammer. By using the sweet Smoke Composites closed stock (4.2 ounces) and the aluminum V7 lower parts the DPMS 308 lower was down to 22.55 ounces. Again shot it and two different uppers at the range, mostly heavy 175 grain SMK’s. Still no AR twang!

Right now the lower is at 20.25 ounces when I get my new Smoke Composites open stock (3.5 ounces) soon. Soon my AR 308 will be banging away with the lightest stock buffer / tube anywhere! The AR 308 will be just under 5.5 pounds with the open Smokes Composite stock.
My original review was WOW and after months shooting two of them my review is double WOW WOW!

So far I have ordered only the carbine length stocks, they have rifle length stocks and they can customize both the carbine and the rifle to your needs. Now that is service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts