6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out here? I have some varget powder and will be loading up some 100gr GMX bullets for non lead hunting in California. There is no data in the hornady manual for the 100gr GMX and their online data only shows two powders.

I have varget on hand and would like to try and use it before buying another powder.

Im looking for a min starting load with steps up to a max load so if any one has used this powder and bullet combo I'd love to get your data.

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
Varget

Are you using a bolt gun? i could be wrong but i don't think there will be any data using Varget for 100 gr. bullets. it's most likely too slow of a burn rate for the AR platform and you'll likely have function issues. Now for a bolt gun, others will have to weigh in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys are right, I've been searching around not finding much info. Keep the input coming I can use all the help I can get!

and the rifle is an 18" Wilson combat barreled AR.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I have used Varget with some 130 grain bullets and needed to use a drop tube to get this much powder charge into the case. Varget will not match the performance of AA2200, Re7, H322, or other standard 6.8mm. I don't think its worth your time to even try it. With a COAL of 2.295" you will have only a powder height of 1.162" with the GMX vs 1.325" which was achieved with this 130 ProHunter loaded long (2.415" COAL). I wouldn't expect that you could get 30 grains in your case and mv would be around 2400 fps. If you try the Varget with the GMX you will basically be wildcatting as there is no published data and looks like you would be the first to try it.

Caution - these loads worked in my rifle but this is no guarantee that they will work safely in yours.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Can anyone help me out here? I have some varget powder and will be loading up some 100gr GMX bullets for non lead hunting in California. There is no data in the hornady manual for the 100gr GMX and their online data only shows two powders.

I have varget on hand and would like to try and use it before buying another powder.

Im looking for a min starting load with steps up to a max load so if any one has used this powder and bullet combo I'd love to get your data.

Thanks
Don't use the Varget. It's really not very appropriate for medium capacity cases such as the 6.8. It's far better suited for 308, 30-06 and 223 (just a few examples but there are many more). You would b far better off finding yourself some AA2200, 10X, H or IMR 4198, RL-7. Take a look at the Barnes data for loading lead free. They list their TSX 110gr bullet and you could develop a load by beginning at a reduced charge and working up. Perhaps start in between their data for the TTSX 95gr and TSX 110gr.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just did a GMX ladder with 2200. Most accurate was. 29gr , 2.70 in length. Shot out of ARP barrel.

Used federal and s&b once fired brass. This is above published powder level so work up in your gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.