6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Paulo....I took out my Piston this afternoon, no pictures yet, but hopefully soon.

It's accurate, at least I can hit what I shoot at from the 50yd line!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: The only hiccup was it kept on failing to pick up another round from the magazine. :? Luckly, my gunsmith/dealer was there and he tried, took it apart, tried again, took it apart again, shot my neighbors upper (failure to pickup again) and found a very slight drag in the buffer tube. It wasn't the bolt carrier as my neighbors upper (S&W M&P15) did the same. He suggested I contact LMT (Ryan) and let him know what I found out!!! This short-stroking was evident with both P-Mags and the standard issue LMT GI mag!!! At first I thought it might be the mags, but, now I believe it was just a break-in problem. :idea:

After Norris left, I shot it more and the more I shot, the less short-stroking... :) In the end, I made it through a whole mag without one short-stroke!!!!!!!! :D :D :D My neighbor and I will go back out tomorrow and shoot some more.

I really like the inexpensive 'short-dot' DMS-1. Using just the black reticle in the daylight was great and later I began using the illumination at around #3 for shooting black 'shoot-n-c' targets. All smiles!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

More to follow tomorrow!! 8)

Kelly

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
About time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What ammo did you use?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had some old PMC 55gr red and white box. Shoots pretty good. I really like this rifle...it's my first and only AR :oops: !!! Hope everyone can forgive me. I am planning on giving Gene at LMT a call tomorrow about having Mike Rock make me a barrel in 6.8 (1:12 5R 16"). I'm not sure which material I should go with??? Any suggestions? Mike suggested since they do LMT barrels I should just have them ship it to LMT to have them turn it down to my specs then send it back to Mike to finish. While it's at LMT, I will see if I can get Gene to slip it in their production line and put the piston system on it before sending it back to Mike for finishing/fluting. I am thinking of having it mostly the same size as the section of the gas port and having Mike flute above and below the gas port...I will have to send it off to Harrison to have him turn the chamber to a DMR for me!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope I won't have to ship off my upper, but I will let Gene tell me what he thinks. Anyway, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. It really does shoot very smooth. Not sure if that is a term for these vs a DI. I'll have to try my neighbors M&P to make a comparison. But so far, I still have a grin on if you know what I mean!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Take care,

Kelly

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Awesome. Keep us posted. I'd love to see a 6.8SPC Piston from them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In case anyone is wondering why I am constantly advising people if they want to ensure they get the most out of their first outing and its to be as thrilling and enjoyable as it can be its a very good idea to hand cycle their guns 500-1K times when new. "I think 1K is best and is what I do.

There are little burs, build up of anodizing,various parts spec tolerances etc. When you hand cycle it will mate and fit these touching surfaces to each other thru lapping. It will also let you get familiar with the way your guns action feels etc.. and if there are any problem you might find them there.

I know many think its excessive and that 100-200 is plenty etc all I can say is ask anyone that has done it and every single one will tell you there is a significant dif you can feel from 0-500 and then again from 500-1000 with 0 and 1K being night and day.

The way I do it is do them in sets of 100. Ten sets and you are done. I do it over watching a movie or show. If you hand white collar hand and forearms :lol: you can wear a glove and or loop a rope aorund it and with it thru a short piece of tube that you can pull on with a lot more leverage.

If you think about it th experts will tell you beofre you can consider a gun GTG for duty, HD, CCW you need to put a 1000 rounds thru it for reliablity. That combined with the countless times you here about new owner with 5.56s having issue and they slowly go away after a range session or many be two but with 5.56 they are shooting literally hundreds of rounds each time out. I also thin this is also why most of todays AR guns are purposely over gassed to the degree they are. With the 6.8 we don't just shoot indiscriminately becasue of the cost of ammo so a gun not functioning right off is more of a disappointment and people tend to look for a actual defect as the cause and is basically chasing your tail.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey TimW,

Yeah my son Tanner and I did cycle the rifle a lot, but I'm not really sure how many times we dry fired it. I mostly did it to practice on the trigger. But of course, your right that all weapons should be broken in before beginning to believe in reliability!!!!!! :wink: I have had to shoot my little Kimber CQB Ultra (3 1/2") 'carry' gun a lot to bring it up to a dependable little gun. I was just thinking (wrongly) that the LMT would be a little different after some cycling at the house!!! :oops: Will give more reports today if we make it back to the range.

Hopefully we can shoot the ARs again this morning, but the weather looks a little iffy!!! This time in Florida is supposidly sunny and dry... :x

Take care,

Kelly

·
Registered
441 Posts
Exactly but hey there could be something actually wrong that is causing it. But the fact you found the more you shot it th better it got to at the end it was shooting without issues to me sure sounds like it needed to break in. Obviously, if I paid that kind of money I would expect the fit to be as such that you would not get failures until it broke in. The nice thing if/when you do do the hand cycle thing to the extent I do/recommend is when there is an issue you know its not because its just a tad tight or rough :wink: Somethings not right

1 - 7 of 7 Posts