6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
SSA is too hot, an upgrade by paulosantos to SPC II would fix that.

Even though I may be ridiculed for stating this,
Remington has been 100% reliable and Very clean burning.

8)

·
Registered
410 Posts
SSA commercial loads will work. If you have someone like Paulo Santos ream the chamber out to a SpecII then you can shoot SSA combat loads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am (from all of the reading I have done here) aware of the limitations of the barrel in it's current form. I was wondering what other users had experienced with the LMT barrel unmolested?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It will be just like any other chrome lined 1:10"/6-groove/SAAMI chambered barrel. It should really perform well with the Hornady ammo also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well despite LOTS "O" Snow here in Idaho I made it out to the range. First ammo I tried as the sun was setting was Remington 115 grain OTM. Well this barrel does not seem to like it. I was shooting 5 shoot groups and the best I got was 1.5 inches. Alas with the fading sun and the need to sight in a new M4 build which by the way, shot 5 rounds (privi 75 grain BTHP) into .93 inches WOOOOO WHOOOOO ! ! ! !

I will get back to the range (Weather permitting) to try the rest of the plethora of SSA I have waiting. I did change one thing on the rifle. I added a YHM 5C1 (that I reamed out) for an aesthetic change really.

More info to follow.

IPSC_GUY

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
for what it is worth the Remington ammo SUCKS.... I would try either the SSA or the Hornandy stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
marinesg1012 said:
for what it is worth the Remington ammo SUCKS.... I would try either the SSA or the Hornandy stuff.
NOW ya tell me... Just Kidding. What is Remington's Major Malfunction?

rcrandall said:
Try the SSA 115gr OTM and Pro Hunters standard loads. They should work well.
AHHHHHHHHH I have some in the range bag for the next go round. I wish I had tried THAT instead of the Remington...

tbready said:
I like the 110 gr. Hornady V-max out of my 16'' LMT MRP 1/10. Very accurate. 8) SSA is also great.
When you say very accurate, do you mean say 1 MOA or under? Please say yes. I do have some Hornady V-max on order but I just got an email from Hornady today;

"Production tells me that they expect to have the brass cases here in January to run the 6.8 SPC ammunition again. We apologize for the delay.

Kathy McHale, Customer Service
Hornady Mfg."

THIS is the ammo I really want to try to. Any body have 20 or 40 rounds they want to sell just for testing sake? "HABU" Hook A Brother UP ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ahhh Mrs. McHale, is an awesome person and very helpful! If she says that is the case I believe it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cold said:
Ahhh Mrs. McHale, is an awesome person and very helpful! If she says that is the case I believe it!

Ohh I didn't disbelieve her at all. It just wasn't the answer I was hoping for but it was nice to know.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
IPSC_GUY said:
marinesg1012 said:
NOW ya tell me... Just Kidding. What is Remington's Major Malfunction?
I dont know I didnt know it sucked bfore I got here either I had 4 or 5 cases of the stuff sitting at the house, when I shot it through my AR performance upper it was shooting 2-3 inch groups, shooting anything else I hover right around an inch.

I just use that ammo for double taps and other training stuff now....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
tbready wrote:
I like the 110 gr. Hornady V-max out of my 16'' LMT MRP 1/10. Very accurate. SSA is also great.

When you say very accurate, do you mean say 1 MOA or under? Please say yes. I do have some Hornady V-max on order but I just got an email from Hornady today;

"Production tells me that they expect to have the brass cases here in January to run the 6.8 SPC ammunition again. We apologize for the delay.

Kathy McHale, Customer Service
Hornady Mfg."

THIS is the ammo I really want to try to. Any body have 20 or 40 rounds they want to sell just for testing sake? "HABU" Hook A Brother UP ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Yes I would say 1 MOA and under. This stuff is spot on out of my barrel. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I got to the range today for the first time since the snow really fell. I was right behind the snow plow going in. Once at the range with the temp a whopping 25 degrees, I tromped out to the 100 yard line and put up a target.

So the next ammo in the haversack of choices to try was the SSA 110 grain Sierra Pro Hunter (commercial load) and WA WHOOOO ! ! ! Much better than the Remington from the first try.

I sighted the ACOG in and fired off my my first group (five shots) that measured in at .799 inches. Three of the rounds were touching in a perfect little clover leaf with the other two rounds very close. I was ready to do cartwheels in the snow.

Then, 10 more rounds killing dirt clods on the 200 yard berm with impunity.

I will continue with the other three SSA choices while waiting for the Hornady Ammo to get produced. All in all though this has given me great hope for the 6.8 platform.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
That sounds more like what a 6.8 can do :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok more testing... Still going through the various SSA ammo. I was shooting 5 shot groups with quite a bit of cool down time in the 40 degree air between groups. Each five shot group was completed in about a minte.

First,

90 grain Sierra Varminter yielded a five shot 1.25 inch group.

Next up

115 grain Sierra OTM yielded a five shot 2.5 inch group...

Also the 115 grain was noticeably hotter. So far the 110 grain Pro Hunter has done the best.

I am going to buy some S & B V-Max like plastic tipped rounds and see how they do.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
IPSC_GUY said:
Ok more testing... Still going through the various SSA ammo. I was shooting 5 shot groups with quite a bit of cool down time in the 40 degree air between groups. Each five shot group was completed in about a minte.

First,

90 grain Sierra Varminter yielded a five shot 1.25 inch group.

Next up

115 grain Sierra OTM yielded a five shot 2.5 inch group...

Also the 115 grain was noticeably hotter. So far the 110 grain Pro Hunter has done the best.

I am going to buy some S & B V-Max like plastic tipped rounds and see how they do.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
The S&B's are V-Max bullets. 8)

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
the SandB ammo shoots the same as the hornandy stuff the only difference is the primer size from what I can tell and the SandB uses a green tip and hornandy a red.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
marinesg1012 said:
the SandB ammo shoots the same as the hornandy stuff the only difference is the primer size from what I can tell and the SandB uses a green tip and hornandy a red.
Good to KNOW ! ! ! I put a post up asking about this different primer size in some cases?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts