6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Art, These do not come from your combat loads but I think you maybe the only one that knows why this is happening. I was shooting some pretty hot loads using a 90gr TNT. I know the TNT has a thin jacket but do you think they are expanding into the black hole and then the leade is shaving them off?
What do you think about redesigning a reamer to make that 45 degree angle at the end of the case into a radius so there are no EDGES?
Thanks Harrison

·
Registered
257 Posts
Several things can cause it.

1. We have noticed that some chamber leads (chamfer 45 degree) was not to spec. They were made nearly at a 60 which made them too sharp - therefore shaving ocurrs. This was going on early on and I believe this has been addressed unless your barrel is 1 1/2 to 2 years old

2. Bullet jacket too thin and the lead too soft. The higher the antimony content of a bullet the harder the lead. If you are not seeing this problem at lower velocites I do not think this is the problem.

I guess would be, because you are pushing the velocity when the ojave engages the bore the bullet is expanding at the 45 degree angle and because of the higher pressure it does not get swedged back down in time and shaving occures. You are correct in thinking a heavier jacket would help.

By the way did you check the bullet dia?

Art

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Art I'll try a few things. I can get 2950fps with these TNTs out of an 18" barrel using 335. That makes them the flattest shooting bullet out of the 6,8 out to about 500yds.

Are you guys planning any new loads?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes

We are coming out with a Plinking round before the end of the year. Its getting too costly to throw lead down range.

Currently we have five loads:

115 grain Mil-LE
110 grain Pro-Hunter
110 Grain Barnes triple shock
95 graim Frangible
97 grain AP

That more than anyone else, we are looking at a 100 grain OTM.

go to our new web site we got some good deals and we are now offering 7.62?.308

Art - SSA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts