6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to my question, but I want to make sure:

I am thinking of changing my ARP 20" 6.8 barrel over to a left-handed receiver, but I want to keep my ARP bolt. The bolt should work with any carrier, whether right- or left-handed, correct? I think I found a sale on a lefty BCG, and I would just swap out the included bolt for my ARP bolt.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I think I know the answer to my question, but I want to make sure:

I am thinking of changing my ARP 20" 6.8 barrel over to a left-handed receiver, but I want to keep my ARP bolt. The bolt should work with any carrier, whether right- or left-handed, correct? I think I found a sale on a lefty BCG, and I would just swap out the included bolt for my ARP bolt.
I think you need a specific left hand bolt carrier and your good. The geometry is not symmetrical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Most bolts, are designed to put the cam pin through on only one side of the bolt (Right handed Ejection). So at the least a traditional right handed bolt would need the cam pin hole drilled out to rotate the bolt 180 degrees. Then it would be able to go in the carrier either way, so be sure to pay attention when installing the bolt in the carrier. I'm not sure the ejector would be in the right spot though. If you have the carrier and bolt handy, try a dry fit to see if it looks like the ejector would be in the right location. If possible I'd compare it to a right handed setup to see how things compare.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Most bolts, are designed to put the cam pin through on only one side of the bolt (Right handed Ejection). So at the least a traditional right handed bolt would need the cam pin hole drilled out to rotate the bolt 180 degrees. Then it would be able to go in the carrier either way, so be sure to pay attention when installing the bolt in the carrier. I'm not sure the ejector would be in the right spot though. If you have the carrier and bolt handy, try a dry fit to see if it looks like the ejector would be in the right location. If possible I'd compare it to a right handed setup to see how things compare.
Thats the only potential issue I see. If the bolt isn't cut all the way thru for the cam pin, then you will have an issue flipping the bolt 180 degrees. Othewise the ejector should be fine. It sits at 90 degrees to the gas key during unlock and ejection and drives 22 degrees when in battery

·
Registered
82 Posts
You need a lefty bolt to kick empties out the left side. Flipping a righty bolt will cause the spent brass to bang on the bottom of the port. Lefty bolt in a righty BC works of you cut a port on the left side.

I can choose which side my 6.8 kicks them out of.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, folks! I figured I would need a lefty bolt, but I was hoping otherwise since there is no ARP lefty bolt. I will probably just leave it in the right-handed receiver since it's my hunting rifle and isn't that critical that it be a lefty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only change I made to a wrong handed lower receiver is to get a left hand selector lever from Stag Arms.
Costs less than ambi selectors and you don't have anything sticking out of the left side of the receiver. The shell deflector has always worked to keep the brass off me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts