6.8 SPC Forums banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It seems like a bull pup will be just about the only way to have a barrel length to achieve the desired ballistic performance and have a suppressor mounted while keeping the overall length of the weapon within reason.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hope no one gets injured and has to switch to weak side with a bullpup. Hot brass in the ear hole doesnt seem very appealing

·
Super Moderator
11,883 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Hope no one gets injured and has to switch to weak side with a bullpup. Hot brass in the ear hole doesnt seem very appealing
The cartridge case is mostly polymer, which doesn't get hot like brass does.

And "weak side" shooting with a bullpup can be done with proper technique:

·
Super Moderator
11,883 Posts
I must be losing my touch. Couldn't even get a response. :a01:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The cartridge case is mostly polymer, which doesn't get hot like brass does.

And "weak side" shooting with a bullpup can be done with proper technique:

Id bet that steel head is a little bit warm. Regardless, hot brass or not, having to move your head to the rear of the butt stock to keep cases from smacking you in the face isnt ideal. If they were made to eject out of the bottom similar to the Keltec's that would be fine. I like the idea of a bullpup but its not my first choice if I'm going into battle.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Id bet that steel head is a little bit warm. Regardless, hot brass or not, having to move your head to the rear of the butt stock to keep cases from smacking you in the face isnt ideal.
I agree, it is not ideal. But, it is usable. The only question is if the military will deem it acceptable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Polymer

Don’t see polymer cased crap coming out of that rifle in video.......
Is polymer debris buildup really going to be better for the environment than lead or brass??

I assume those are solid copper bullets.

Probably just end up in the Pacific Ocean garbage patch, like everything else...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is polymer debris buildup really going to be better for the environment than lead or brass??

I assume those are solid copper bullets.

Probably just end up in the Pacific Ocean garbage patch, like everything else...
All of the competitors will use the same lead-free bullet developed for the US military. I have seen various weights from 130 -140 grains discussed, so, as far as I am aware, its specs have not been released publicly. It might have the same construction as the M855A1's Enhanced Performance Round (EPR). It might be something else, since penetration of body armor is a main goal of this weapon.

The polymer is primarily used to reduce cartridge weight. Both the General Dynamics/True Velocity polymer-walled case and the Sig brass-walled case have steel bases. There has been some suggestion that the spent cases may be easily collected by equipment with magnets, making range cleanup easier. It would not be surprising if all of the competitors have some type of recycling method in mind to make the spent cases more "green".

161 - 180 of 192 Posts