6.8 SPC Forums banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is this 6.8mm "hybrid ammo" going to be something that will feed, fire and function in a standard civilian AR with a 6.8mm Rem SPC II chamber?
No. The 6.8mm cartridge developed by SIG Sauer is bigger and more powerful than the 6.8 SPC. It's about the same size as 6.5 Creedmoor.
Then that means the 6.8mm Rem SPC that I know and love is still the offbeat bastard rat that nobody makes ammo for
and everybody (except us smart guys!) ignores!

...and NO milsurp ammo!

Well, shucky darn!

Bebe

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Seem to recall the standard load out for a M240 gunner (M60 in my day) was 1000 rounds. 5 belts of 200 rounds each.
You seem to be conflating M60/M240 ammo packaging with that for the M249.

M60/M240 ammo is 100-rd belts in paper cartons, with two cartons per can.

M249 ammo is 200-rd belts in plastic containers, with four containers per can.

·
Super Moderator
11,883 Posts
You seem to be conflating M60/M240 ammo packaging with that for the M249.

M60/M240 ammo is 100-rd belts in paper cartons, with two cartons per can.

M249 ammo is 200-rd belts in plastic containers, with four containers per can.

Well that is a good possibility. It's only been 40 years since I got out. In fact, 9/26 will be 40 years to the day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Then that means the 6.8mm Rem SPC that I know and love is still the offbeat bastard rat that nobody makes ammo for

...and NO milsurp ammo!

Well, shucky darn!

Bebe
There won't be surplus 6.8 SPC from the new NGSW wonder-cartridge, but a couple of countries in the Middle East do use the SPC. Federal/ATK made their ammo for the initial shipments. It is possible that if those countries re-order a large quantity there will be overruns, blems, and seconds again.

As for the hybrid ammo types, the brass and steel case used by Sig Sauer should work in normal guns. If the price of copper for brass ever goes way up, a case that uses less of it might become cost effective. The odd-looking plastic cased cartridge from True Velocity/General Dynamics does have a rim, so it is possible that it could be used in current actions, maybe with a barrel change.

As a side note: a neck-less cartridge looking very much like the one from True Velocity/GD was patented in the European Union a few years ago. It was an interesting design to allow longer, higher BC bullets to be shot out of normal 7.62x51 rifles. The idea was to make a cartridge that would be less powerful, but still get decent long-range performance from its more streamlined bullet. The potential market was countries that wanted to switch to a lighter weight, lower-recoiling cartridge but couldn't afford to replace their existing 7.62x51 rifles.
As far as I know, little development has been done to make it fully functional in existing rifles and to find a bullet that would still be accurate after making a very long jump to the rifling.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

...and NO milsurp ammo!

Well, shucky darn!

Bebe
I suppose, depending on the projectile length and shape, we may be able use pulls.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Right! that rifle looks about 7mos pregnant!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Interesting,
SIG calls their round 6.8X51mm, that's the same length as the 7.62X51 NATO case. Very similar to the .270 Win mag, except the steel case head implies a much higher chamber pressure. I'm dying to know what the ballistics are - bullet weight, velocity and max pressure on a hot day. As us civilians know, very high pressures mean shortened barrel life. Otherwise, the service rifle is a very slick design, sort of a piston actuated AR-10. - CW

·
Registered
844 Posts
I suspect that given the cartridge specs and the requirement for a suppressor a bullpup is the only way to get the 20+ inch barrel stuffed into the package, and still meet the CCB requirement.

·
Registered
463 Posts
141 - 160 of 192 Posts