6.8 SPC Forums banner
181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtKblRY1qs Has anyone posted this link yet? Well here it is again.
Slick video, much coverage of the Sig-Sauer weapons, but skims over the other two except to cast doubt about Textron's CT ammo. Curiously, it appears the Sig squad automatic's barrel reciprocates slightly as it fires. Also, Sig is developing a .338 caliber GPMG for rifle platoons, to replace the current 7.62 NATO weapon and perhaps the old Browning .50 cal on a variety of vehicle mounts. - CW

Reactions: amram

·
Registered
478 Posts

.....Sig is developing a .338 caliber GPMG for rifle platoons, to replace the current 7.62 NATO weapon and perhaps the old Browning .50 cal on a variety of vehicle mounts. - CW
If I had money to bet, I would put it on the 6.5 Creedmoor to be widely adopted by SF for some purposes.

·
Registered
881 Posts
.....Sig is developing a .338 caliber GPMG for rifle platoons, to replace the current 7.62 NATO weapon and perhaps the old Browning .50 cal on a variety of vehicle mounts. - CW
If I had money to bet, I would put it on the 6.5 Creedmoor to be widely adopted by SF for some purposes.
They are definitely interested in .338. Dillon already has a prototype to replace the M134 with .338.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,688 Posts
Looks like the bullet will be popular.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On a side note: True Velocity had signed a deal with Sierra to produce a line of ammo for Civilian use prior to ShotShow2020. As of last week, TrueVelocity had yet to send them any product.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just wish they hadn't gone to that proprietary telescoped round over the SPC II.. Oh well.
SPC II wouldn't meet the contract requirements. No existing round would. You can get a idea or what they are trying to do by looking at the 277 Fury (SIG's Civilian version)

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Based on what I have read, all of the companies were given the specs of the new 6.8 steel/copper EPR (Enhanced Penetration Round) bullet and told to design around it. Some articles say that velocity specs have been lowered somewhat over time, but I have read that they wanted over 3000 fps for a (roughly) 135grain bullet from something the same length as a AR with a 13" barrel. This was to penetrate hard body armor at 600m. The loaded cartridge was intended to be lighter than the existing 7.62 NATO. Two of the three apparently managed some actual, weight savings vs 7.62. Sig, appears to have confused the issue by saying it achieved a weight savings, but compared their new cartridge to the but the existing 270 WSM, is the existing cartridge closest to meeting the specs (even though it needs a 22"+ barrel to do it).

The long bullet is the proposed 6.8 EPR . The others are the existing 7.62 and 5.56 ones.

·
Banned
2,278 Posts
My understanding is that the 3 rounds in the running are all variants of the 6.8. Just not the SPCII.
Negative. The 6.8 NGSW rounds are not 6.8 SPC variants. They are larger, more powerful cartridges. The only thing they have in common with 6.8 SPC is bullet diameter.

181 - 200 of 223 Posts