6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I have a few boxes of the 100 grain Accubonds. I've seen a lot of great data on the site but most is a little dated. A 2200 seems to be among the favorites and I use it for the 110 grain version, but what about Power Pro 1200 R? Or H335 for the 100 grain loads?

What about any gel test with it? I wasn't able to see any videos of a 100 grain Nosler Accubond gel tests. I did see an old post with pictures of a couple recovered from coyotes at long range.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think those would work, 1200R is very temp unstable so not as preferred for some. H322 has grown popular for accuracy but slightly lower velocity compared to 2200.

4198 is also popular for the 85-90gr stuff and may do well for 100gr too.

Here's the ink to XMan's comprehensive bullet testing thread. It is not ballistic gel, but his testing protocol is pretty consistent for all of his tests to accurately compare the different bullets and the results from his testing media are similar other gel tests and also field results.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Years ago i shot a ladder w 100ABs and 1200R on a 95* day....was blowing primers before I was halfway up.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I always yell WARNING when I see a reloader say 1200R. Excellent accuracy, good velocity (sometimes), but it is so temperature sensitive it is unreliable. greentick's experience is not unusual. I had over pressures with 1200R and 120 SST and broke a bolt (not ARPs) trying to work up to someone's load data. Turns out they were shooting in 60-deg weather and I was in 90-deg temps. I used 1200R with the 100AB for an entire year. I got excellent accuracy when I developed my load in the late spring. However, I found 1200R to be a very temperature sensitive powder with a 250 fps muzzle velocity variation over numerous range session from 30 to 95F with the same powder charge. Above 90F, I had 4 shots during 4 separate range sessions drop 300 fps below the mv average for that day. 1200R just wasn't stable enough for me to keep using it. If you do go ahead and use it, don't even try to push the pressure limits of your rifle. I neve got swipes with it as a pressure sign. Only primer indications.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
For the 100gr Accubond, 29.5-30 of AA2200, depends on your barrel.

It's not a gel test, but Xman's Bullet Performance thread is very useful for comparing bullets:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always yell WARNING when I see a reloader say 1200R. Excellent accuracy, good velocity (sometimes), but it is so temperature sensitive it is unreliable. greentick's experience is not unusual. I had over pressures with 1200R and 120 SST and broke a bolt (not ARPs) trying to work up to someone's load data. Turns out they were shooting in 60-deg weather and I was in 90-deg temps. I used 1200R with the 100AB for an entire year. I got excellent accuracy when I developed my load in the late spring. However, I found 1200R to be a very temperature sensitive powder with a 250 fps muzzle velocity variation over numerous range session from 30 to 95F with the same powder charge. Above 90F, I had 4 shots during 4 separate range sessions drop 300 fps below the mv average for that day. 1200R just wasn't stable enough for me to keep using it. If you do go ahead and use it, don't even try to push the pressure limits of your rifle. I neve got swipes with it as a pressure sign. Only primer indications.
Well it sounds like 1200 R is out then. I don't normally do a lot of shooting when its 60+, more like 50 and below. But you never know when you are going to go out and shoot. I use A2200 with the 110s so I guess its one less type of powder to buy.

Thanks for the awesome bullet reviews and testing you've done X man !

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the 100gr Accubond, 29.5-30 of AA2200, depends on your barrel.

It's not a gel test, but Xman's Bullet Performance thread is very useful for comparing bullets:
Thanks, I'll use this basic recipe, starting out below of course!

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello to all,

I have a few boxes of the 100 grain Accubonds. I've seen a lot of great data on the site but most is a little dated. A 2200 seems to be among the favorites and I use it for the 110 grain version, but what about Power Pro 1200 R? Or H335 for the 100 grain loads?

What about any gel test with it? I wasn't able to see any videos of a 100 grain Nosler Accubond gel tests. I did see an old post with pictures of a couple recovered from coyotes at long range.

Thanks,
Joe
I’m a fan of 335. It’s clean, meters well and I’m getting very nice groups out of a 16” barrel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When i could get them that is my favorite bullet for deer, great performance. I loaded with LT-32, 2750 velocity 16" barrel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
H322, H4198 or CFE BLK if you hate gross POI shift with temperature swing.
I only purchase H322 and CFE BLK for 85-120gr pills.
I should sell my 5lbs of 2200 to my brother and take the time to
experiment with 1lb of my 8208 XBR stash on 120gr this coming spring.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'll have to add on, H322 just plain "works" with just about any bullet in the 68.
Just FYI: I'm getting exceptional results with 130 gr bullets using AR-Comp in my non-AR 68.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I use H4198 for 110gr Accubonds. I haven't tried it with the 100's yet. With the 110's it's VERY consistent and accurate.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I use H4198 for 110gr Accubonds. I haven't tried it with the 100's yet. With the 110's it's VERY consistent and accurate.
H4198 works better with lighter bullets. You might try 29gr of H322 under the 110gr.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My rifle really liked Benchmark with the 110 accubonds. Good accuracy, but a little slow in the velocity department. I've since moved on to h322 with a slightly heavier (and cheaper) projectile. Yes, I'm a penny pincher (cheapskate).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I use N200 for all my lighter bullets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've tested four or five powders; best has been H-322 with every bullet I tried.

I haven't found any 2200 yet but when some becomes available I'll give it a trial to see it can beat H-322.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've tested four or five powders; best has been H-322 with every bullet I tried.

I haven't found any 2200 yet but when some becomes available I'll give it a trial to see it can beat H-322.
What is you're measure of " best"? Accuracy, velocity, temperature stability or other? What weight bullets?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've shot 90 gr Gold Dots, Hornady 110 gr. match and am currently loading Sierra 115 gr. hpbt bulets. The Hornady 110 gr. match bullets I also shot in factory ammo. The factory ammo and handloads with other powders were pretty consistently giving me 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" five shot groups with a few exceptions. With H-322 it appears groups are routinely going just over and under an inch.

As for velocity, I'm not there yet. When I land on a load that shoots multiple groups under an inch I'll break out the chrono and see what it's running. I expect the velocity will be ok for my purposes, I have a 20" barrel. Temp stability, heck I don't know. Here in in central Texas there's only been one temperature for months and that's HOT. :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts