6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has recently had a total knee replacement a few weeks back, he was worried about sitting on his butt for 4 months not able to do anything. I told him I would drag his gimped butt out, plant him in a chair and we would go fishing for bluegill with my son.

So, for the past few weeks we have been going to a local river for a few hours and throwing some worms and bobbers. Last trip out I decided to bring a vintage rig along, it's a 1950's St. Croix 6' light action rod with Tennessee handle and an equally old Bronson Buddy 800 reel. My (late) great uncle custom built this rod for me back in the 90's. I've caught thousands of bluegill on this rod.

Sometimes, slowing down and just enjoying the time with family and friends is needed. No worries, no hustle.

How have y'all been decompressing this year?

Anyone else enjoy fishing for these fun little guys? I always have, never get tired of it!

-Alexander

·
Super Moderator
11,794 Posts
Bluegill is one of my favorite fish to catch and to eat. Been too long since I had the opportunity to get into some good fishing though. I need to figure out how to make that happen.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Nice...

Decompressing for me is a day in the mountains with mans best friend, no one else in sight, no curfew and no one knowing my whereabouts.

Nice picture too by the way.

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
Loads of fun right there. Nice rig there. I love well made/home made things. I made my own long bow six years ago.

This summer, working around the house, attacking my basement... building work benches, sorting, etc. Working on a good/solid reloading bench to also use for building my ARs and such. The beauty of it is, within arm's reach of it is over 8' of counter space atop some salvaged kitchen base cabinets. That area is a combination gun cleaning, hunting gear organizing area, leather working, archery tools, black powder stuff, hobby bench. So, my smaller (dedicated reloading/building) bench isn't limited, I will be able to spread out as needed for a project.

Separate from all of that... woodworking benches with incorporated router table, long areas for either end of my chop saw, and an in-feed shelf/out-feed table for my table saw. I tested the set up, and can easily rip a full sheet of floppy 1/4" Masonite by myself. I'll tweak things a bit, and will build a stationary (sort of) stand for the table saw so it remains level on two planes. Right now, using the portable stand, floor isn't level. That's a later project though. I'm setting it up so the table saw and chop saw will be able to share a shop-vac for dust collection... not an issue since I have 3 shop-vacs.

And, another couple of benches for grungy type things (automotive/motorcycle related).

The basement has been a disaster for decades, a dumping ground for salvaged materials (getting put to good use now), and storage. Inefficient, and packed. Get my benches/shelves done, and I'll pull wire and install outlets as needed. THEN I can start in on some waiting home improvement/repair projects. Oh yeah... also squirreled away, is enough new insulation to button up the entire basement, so I'll be fairly warm during winter time projects.

It's amazing how much better things are already, I'm only about halfway around the basement, and haven't started runs to Goodwill. No dump runs yet either, just filling my home pick-up trash can each week. This week, all the reloading gear/components... leatherworking tools, archery, black powder gear went from the spare bedroom to their new home in the basement. Been promising myself this for over a decade now... it's finally happening.

M'be some pix after the perimeter work is built/things stowed, and before fine tuning it gets done.

Good on you for looking after dad's well being while he heals up... fishing is one of the best Rx's too.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Catching 'gills is one of my favorite passtime for sure. Ever since I was old enough to go fishing on my own. Nothing quite like the fight of a 9" hump-backed slab on an ultralight rod with 4# test leader to get you excited about the right things in life. I don't keep the fish I catch in the river here as it is not advised. But if I drive up to one of the lakes around here I wouldn't hesitate to keep some fish!

Caught this guy on a 5' UL fast action rod with a Zebco 33. I have several of these reels and love them too! I only buy the older ones because I know how to work on them and they're American made.

I also just picked up another vintage St. Croix rod I will rebuild. I believe this one is a model 8100-L 72" UL first introduced in 1957. It will get 6 eyes instead of the 4 it has now, I will scrounge up another American made vintage reel to put on it too. My late uncle taught my dad how to build fishing rods and I am now finally giving it a go myself after watching dad do it for years (and picking up tons of little info without knowing).

I just love to make and fix things. Especially old things. I'm known as a tinkerer. Worked as a mechanical designer and metrologist, photography is another great outlet for me as it allows me to create with other people as well.

@woodstock - just find some still water and a pack of worms on a #10 hook. I've even gone for just an hour during some down time. Makes the day better!

@Buddy - mountains are great, but I'm a water guy. I enjoy my time in the hills, but can't live without access to the ocean. There's over 1000 miles of waterways here, probably 3 or 4 dozen larger bodies of water just in town. I'm never more than 10 blocks from a river/slough/canal anywhere here in town! Thanks, btw!

@RD, feels good to get it going I bet! My shop is in major need of a revamp as well as a new loading bench. I need to move my second lathe, anvil, forge, belt grinder and other tools to the other side of the shop. It'll happen someday, hopefully not a decade from now, but someday.

-Alexander

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
Love fishing with light and ultra-light tackle. I have a little Fenwick FS53 spinning rod and a Browning 504X reel on it. I keep it stocked with 2# test. Caught MANY trout and arctic grayling trolling from a canoe when I lived in Anchorage.

Down in the basement, I have an OLD bamboo rod, one piece... about 11' long. I have no idea if it'd hold up to fishing use still (after a rebuild). It's never had a reel on it in the 40+ years I've had it... it was OLD when I got it (from where ever... LOL).

Never fished for/caught bluegill.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you love using UL gear, then bluegill should be high on your list! These guys fight in a weight class way above their actual size! A 9" gill like I posted will pull the drag and double a rod over quick! Frantic fight with blistering runs, then they turn sideways and become even tougher to drag through the water. Best part is they're abundant everywhere in the country and taste great! I like to head and gut them, scale, then either cornmeal S&P or standard breading recipe and fry. Delicious!

That old bamboo rod I bet could be brought back to life, give it a thorough looking over for insect damage, then probably a new coat of varnish. Check the threads and varnish those too. Pick up a vintage Pfleuger fly reel (assuming it's a fly rod) and get it out there! I have a couple old bamboo rods as well, they're different to cast (closer to parabolic action) but something just feels right when using one!

-Alexander

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
Sounds like fun battling those.

I think this was a salt water rod, pretty heavy at the base. Needs new eyes as well. It's hardware is pretty rough.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Flint Knapping

Here are some of my recent obsidian blades I have been working on. One is worked down into a blade and one is still a pre- form. I am not very good at it yet but I find it relaxing for some reason. Plus I get to break something to make something. I always enjoyed finding arrow heads as kid growing up in Texas so I learned how to make them which is way more fun. I have some pretty good smaller arrow heads I've made but I seam to break more of the smaller pieces than I complete.

Flint Knapping

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
I've always been interested in knapped obsidian arrowheads. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've always been interested in knapped obsidian arrowheads. Looks good.
Thanks RD, like I said I am still not very good at it but learning and having fun doing it. When I first started there were times I would start with stone bigger than my hand and end up with little more than a broken pile of bits at my feet.

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
Thanks RD, like I said I am still not very good at it but learning and having fun doing it. When I first started there were times I would start with stone bigger than my hand and end up with little more than a broken pile of bits at my feet.
I didn't realize I'd given you lessons (at making a pile of worthless chips) :a26:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the day off tomorrow and am going to go fishing for a few hours with just dad, gonna get our plan together for dove season opener next week, just kick back and enjoy some time on the water.

Looking forward to it after a couple rough weeks at work and a terrible performance by me at my last silhouette match due to a pulled muscle in my back.

-Alexander

1 - 14 of 14 Posts