6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lurked over at the 204 Ruger forums, their bolt guns weigh 7 to 9 pounds and their AR 15 in 204 Ruger weigh typically 8 to 12 pounds. Long heavy 24 inch bull barrels with heavy receivers and components.
This one is built for Mike, only the highest quality parts have been used. It could be built lighter, but no aluminum BCG was harmed in this build.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nice! I went mid weight on my .20P, coming in around 9 pounds complete. I like the steadiness and being able to see hits through the scope.

-Alexander

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Build list and prices
2A Balios ultra lite receiver set
Wilson Combat Barrel $342 (inc. shipping)2A Balios Handguard $233.61 (inc. shipping)
JP LMOS lite carrier $179
Rubber City Adj Carier $40
Port door rod $8V7
Port door $37
POF Buffer Tube $44 (inc. shipping)
Tapcon Buff/Spring $36.20
Bullet Button $10.49
Mag K Grip $20
V7 Combo Pack $45
V7 Selector $49
2A Ti Pin Sets $36
V7 bolt Catch $17
V7 mag catch $27.16

Mike will be using a variable power scope that is out of my price range. I am using my 24 power Vortex Viper to sight this beauty in. will be shooting 26 grain and 32 grain ammo to get the adjustable carrier dialed in.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
is that a set screw castle nut on the buffer extension?

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Nice! I went mid weight on my .20P, coming in around 9 pounds complete. I like the steadiness and being able to see hits through the scope.

-Alexander
Yup. A lightweight 5.2# 204 Ruger would be pretty useless to me as a varmint gun and that's really all they are much good for. I recently added a rifle buffer system to mine and a LUTH AR MBA to it. Added some heft and more adjustability. It sits right at about 9.5#. Since mine has a target crown adding weight was the only option for controlling recoil. I mean, why shoot at squirrels unless you can see them vaporize right before your eyes, LOL. That's the fun of it.

Now, I recently built an 18" 6.8 that weighs in at about 6.5#. It's my walk hunting medium range gun for deer and pig and perfect for that purpose.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Not sure why the extra weight, is your 204 Ruger that bad on recoil?
Not bad, but with only an 18" Wilson barrel on it, it needed a little more heft to get a better show through the scope especially at closer ranges. At the speed it produces the show is over pretty fast during recoil within 100-200 yards They actually have more recoil than you might think pushing those 32 and 40gr bullets to at or over 4K out the barrel. Heck it never leaves a bench when I'm varmint shooting anyway so, even if it weighed 12# it would even be better from a shooter's standpoint. Varmint guns are not just heavy for accuracy and velocity. They are heavy so the shooter can see the results of the trigger pull. Most guys, even with bull barreled bolt guns, put muzzle brakes on them for that reason. I put one on my 5.56 Mossberg MVP bolt gun this year for that very reason and it made a huge difference in the view from behind the scope. It's no fun if you can't watch a ground squirrel fly or....poof!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For extra fun at the range or when there aren't any squirrels, try shooting apples with the 32gr Vmax or 39gr TNT bullets, turns them into apple sauce instantly!

Lapriester, I'm using my .20P on top of my prone match gun lower, also with a LUTH-AR MBA (now with 3-way butt plate too) but I have a 24" spr profile BHW barrel. Hoping to get some access for squirrel shooting up above Susanville, they're plagued with them up there!

Breaststroker, IMR 4198 and I believe N133 are great powders for the .204 caliber guns. H335 is too, but not as fast, it will push the 32's around 3600-3700fps but pretty accurately.

-Alexander

·
Registered
109 Posts
Can't wait to get my hands on this baby. Thanks Wayne for the great work. I will use this mostly for coyotes and the occasional ground squirrel that pops up on the ranches I do depredation work on. The coyotes average 25 lbs and I've killed hundreds with my bolt .204's they are just heavier than I like. My reloads are H335 like mentioned above.

As far as missing the "show" I don't give a **** as longs as I leave a bloody crime scene. After I pull the trigger. That's all my reachers care about.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shot today, the first couple of days are brutal. Shoot, clean, adjust scope, check to see if bolt was held open. Do it all again. And again!

Only shot your 39 grain reloads.

Took 3 rounds of 20 minutes to get it sighted in. I don't know about lapriester , the recoil is barely over a 22 LR with the adjustable gas and light weight JP LMOS carrier. I only use splatter targets, although I had a brand new target with zero holes.

Started at 25 yards, then 50 and then 100 yards. Going from 25 to 50 was also brutal, was 6 inches high, not too bad at 100.

With my scope set at 24 power I could see where every bullet hit immediately.

I might just get a barrel and try out the cheapest ammo, the S&B.

Actually I might get this barrel and get it re-profiled to a lighter weight (34.6 oz. stock). With the tiny hole it is basically a bull barrel. I might even go down to a 0.625 gas block.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok BS now you're just teasing me. Watch out for that heat out there, you don't need to get heat stroke.

Those 39's are my go to tote load so those being dialed in would be sweet. Trigger is ordered and I can send you more Ammo if needed.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since retirement I get up about 7 am for a quick head call, put on the coffee pot and go back to bed. After 40 years of getting up at 4 am I am still surprised I can sleep past 9 am, one day even went to 10:50 AM!

But Lost Wages is 100 degrees by 10 am, so I got up this morning at 6 am. You have to get used to the heat gradually, normally I have no problem shooting in 112 to 115 degrees. There is usually a small breeze in the morning.

So from 7:30 to 9 am I shot in 88 to 95 degrees, with zero wind. Last three shots were in a half inch bulls-eye. No photo as my cell camera recorded a big smear. Besides today was for barrel break in and sighting in my scope.

Further break in next week, and checking on the 26 grain ammo cycling with the adjustable carrier key.

But I can say it is one sweet looking rifle. And oh my the recoil.

Wait to you see the new suit I am putting on my Juggernaught Tactical 18 inch 308. Going heavier because I want it purty, as in Presentation grade walnut.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Build list and prices
2A Balios ultra lite receiver set
Wilson Combat Barrel $342 (inc. shipping)2A Balios Handguard $233.61 (inc. shipping)
JP LMOS lite carrier $179
Rubber City Adj Carier $40
Port door rod $8V7
Port door $37
POF Buffer Tube $44 (inc. shipping)
Tapcon Buff/Spring $36.20
Bullet Button $10.49
Mag K Grip $20
V7 Combo Pack $45
V7 Selector $49
2A Ti Pin Sets $36
V7 bolt Catch $17
V7 mag catch $27.16

Mike will be using a variable power scope that is out of my price range. I am using my 24 power Vortex Viper to sight this beauty in. will be shooting 26 grain and 32 grain ammo to get the adjustable carrier dialed in.
Looks good! Didn't you buy the Vortex from me a couple years ago? Lol

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes and I now have three. First time using the Vortex level. I am usually pretty good at keeping the scope perfect horizontal but the level makes sure of it.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Today was much better, first two shots with his 39 grain plastic tips were in the bull-eye. Separate targets, only the second time I have shot since early May. Already 100 degrees at 8 am. Don't get better later either, 105 at 8 PM.

Started adjusting the adjustable carrier key, as I was way over gassed with the 39 grain. Ejection at 1 to 1:30. Adjusted down and checked the function with this round using a 223 PMag and a Lancers. Perfect function with both mags.

Next round of shooting with the 26 grain Corbon 4200 FPS Varmint Grenade were two more bulls-eye shots. But ejection at 1 again.

I am always amazed how when the gas block (or carrier key) is adjusted close to 3 ejection the group size usually shrinks a lot. I was at about 1-1.5 inch group and that was reduced to the size of the bulls-eye, just smaller than a nickel. The 26 grain did NOT LIKE the PMag, first shot would not chamber. The Lancer and metal lips functioned perfectly. Of course the Surefire 60 round magazine would be a cool factor

This rifle will shoot better than I can at this time. I need a lot more range time to get back to decent shooting. One sweet AR!!!!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wilson Combat 204 Ruger results Hornady 32 and 40 grain

Thanks to fanninland
Shooting 5 shot groups at 200yds, my 18" WC barrel recently averaged 3851 fps MV with the 32gr and 3612 fps MV with the 40 gr on a hot (92degree) and windy TX day
So I should get about the same from my WC 204 Ruger. I don't have a calculator YET, can someone compute the drops at 200, 300 and 400 yards.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.