6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an AR-Stoner upper receiver lapping tool and finally got around to using it tonight. Fit was tight but not excessively tight. Use plenty of ALG grease before starting. My question is….. “How much material should be removed?” I just tried to even out the high spots. Any advice / direction is greatly appreciated as I have several more uppers I plan to do. TIA. Rick
Drink Font Fashion accessory Metal Packaging and labeling

Material property Font Cylinder Gas Electronic device

Body jewelry Finger Audio equipment Eyewear Jewellery

·
Registered
444 Posts
Looks you got it level. I have been doing it only until all the anodized material is removed. I check progress at least 6 times because I don't want to take off more than needed. Then I it check for fit as I step torque and checking for perfect gas tube alignment. I leave it torqued for at least 5-10 minutes per step.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not want to remove that much either. So when I fit it without the abrasive compound I could get a piece of paper on the top left side (facing the upper). After I go close to being flat I switched to the fine compound. I didn’t realize it was off like it was. I checked it more than 6 times during the whole process. 😂

·
Registered
444 Posts
The first time I checked it like a dozen times 😆

I did the worst accuracy one first. Blown away at the difference. Went from a pile of shims to none.

I got X-Caliber's Bart ll for the Aero M4E1 regular upper and also the one for the Enhanced uppers. They worked 👍 Now I am thinking of doing the Seekins with the Enhanced tool. Seems like it will work on the IRMT-3. Can't find anybody that's tried it yet to say. I just may nut up and do the one I have with me today since I'm at the shop for the barbeque.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Remember - you can always take more off, but its a real bear to put it back on.

The whole point is to simply make it square and level.

Reactions: earlytom
1 - 8 of 8 Posts