6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not very impressed with my build.
I'm using an ARP 16" 6.8 scout profile barrel, ARP Super Bolt, ADM mount with Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10, Geisselle SSA trigger, Adams Arms midlength lite kit.
I shot SSA 90 gr PPT bonded and 115 gr OTM loads.
I zeroed right away at 25 yards and moved out to 100 yards. My best groups with both loads were 2-3".
Thinking it was the YHM ULT suppressor, I pulled it off and other than a POI change, the group size did not change.
I had my buddy shoot and he couldn't get any better.
We double checked the optic and it was tight.
Just wondering if these two loads, or SSA in general are not an accurate load?
I am set up to hand load, but I don't have the time with a 3 year old running around.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have no experience with those loads. My only offering is that I too use an ADM mount and I have seen on several occasions people (myself included) getting bad groupings while using that mount and ultimately it was traced back to the ADM mount not being secured tight enough on the rail. The ADM instructions state that the mount doesn't need to be too tight...etc. In my experience that is NOT the case...the mount needs to be more tight than what the instructions indicate. I'm not saying that is your issue of course...and you did state that the optic was tight...just wanted to offer this as I have seen it several times so far. I'm also not ripping the ADM mount...I love it and use a few on multiple guns...I just make sure it is on the rail very very snug.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i have some older ssa 110 prohunters that only get 2-3 inch groups. I have to reload and found a sweet spot with h322 that brought it down under 1 moa.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you have a concentricity guage I would check the ammo with it and sort them into batches to get a better idea of what the ammo is capable of. I have some SSA 110SPH ammo that I've found as much as 50% of a 20round box to have .008" or more run out, no good for accuracy testing. The rest of your build sounds pretty solid.

Just wanted to add that the same SSA 110SPH sorted into batches that have .004" run out or less will shoot under 1 moa or better in both of my 68 rifles.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well if you think it is the ammo then start with measuring the COAL and see if there is a big difference, maybe pull a few bullets and check the charge weight for inconsistencies. Or look at it like this, each barrel likes certain bullets, powders, primers, and brass. So, you could prep the brass and have everything ready so that when your little one goes to sleep, kiss the wife good bye and load up some test loads with know accurate recipies.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I shot some SSA 90 PPT (Nosler BPB) and had the same 2 to 3 MOA accuracy. They were loaded up to max. When I pulled the bullets and dropped the charge, they started shooting under 1 MOA. Don't judge your rifle by these rounds. Suggest Hornady 110 BTHP factory for the best accuracy. BTW, both SSA and Hornady crimp their primers so be prepared to swage them, etc.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
My ARP barrel is picky too.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I shot some SSA 90 PPT (Nosler BPB) and had the same 2 to 3 MOA accuracy. They were loaded up to max. When I pulled the bullets and dropped the charge, they started shooting under 1 MOA. Don't judge your rifle by these rounds. Suggest Hornady 110 BTHP factory for the best accuracy. BTW, both SSA and Hornady crimp their primers so be prepared to swage them, etc.
Looks like the OP has his culprit here. Thanks for the info Xman

SSA stuff has really gone downhill post Nosler takeover. Too bad too they had the best 6.8 ammo around. At least we still have Hornady making great ammo, but I handloads only now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Most quality barrels take anywhere between 100-200 rounds down the pipe before they settle down. This is especially true for Nitrided barrels.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Most quality barrels take anywhere between 100-200 rounds down the pipe before they settle down. This is especially true for Nitrided barrels. And I can personally attest to the poor quality of the SSA/Nosler loads. Recently returned a 1K rounds...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Agreed
Use Hornady factory 110 BTHP to see what it will do.
The S&B 110 PTS factory loads also shoot well for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts