6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm.. my last 3 rifles have been bolt guns...

Howa 1500 stainless .30-06 w/Leupold 2.5-10x50 VX-L right after Christmas
Marlin .22mag Wal-Mart special

and then I got my latest from Ace Hardware yesterday...

Rem 700 .308 Varmint Synthetic stock with fluted barrel ($675... hell of a deal)

I haven't put an optic on it, but I'm tempted to get the barrell threaded so I can add my can when I get it...

·
Registered
441 Posts
that actually beats a price on a used one being sold at my local Gander Mountain Store. It beats the new ones that were on sale before deer season and for Christmas by 2 bills. Not being an online sale thats a good deal for sure.

I use to live just outside DC in Northern VA. I don't remember even seeing an ACE Now I'm 80 mile out from there, close to Winchester on the other side of it. There are ACE , True Values, Tractor Supply, Southern States, and many mom and pop HW store. Some even sell firearms just like the "good old days" I feel like I time warped back 30 - 40 years except you use to be able to buy a Thompson's FA Sub Mach from the same store no issues. It is nice to see other post getting their firearms from them as well and at a good price to boot.

Good buy. Now see what they can get you a Rem in 6.8 or a Ruger Mini. 8)

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They can :)

I'm tempted to get them to order me either a Rem 700 6.8 or a T/C Contender in some other caliber, then I'd order a 6.8 barrel from Ko-Tonics.

Going to Simpsons Ace Hardware in Sumter IS like a walk back in time. The prices on non-firearms are slightly more than Wal-Mart. As much as possible is Made in USA, though not much is these days... The place is about the size of a traditional non-SuperWal-mart. The customer service is incredible and everyone has a smile. All 3 of Mr Simpson's daughters are reported to have worked there in high school (so yeah, he's teaching them good work ethic.) Corn, kayaks, hardware, cast iron cookware, clothing, firearms, powder and primers, bicycle tires and equipment... he's got it all!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, it's very cool to still have stores like these around. People being willing to pay just a little more than the local walmart price is what will keep them alive.

I always when ever possible shop at small owner operated stores for my self. In fact I'm about to trade in a glock 31 .357 sig. I'm doing it at one place that is a big top sporting goods store. Then I'm going to a local owner operated gun store to buy a S&W MP 45. I could have gotten a better deal by buying it from the same place and just trading the Glock in instead of out right selling it. But I would rather give my business to the small privately owned gun store then to a billion dollar company. If it costs my an extra $50 its worth it to me. One, I know who owns it and if I ever have a problem I know the type of service I will get. Secondly, it is absolutely an American owned business. Not one that fronts like they are USA owned but then get most if not all of there products from China and have there production plants in other countries. No thank you, I will keep and spend my money in my own country on products made in my country. It is actually one of the reasons I'm trading out the Glock. Not the main reason to be honest but still a significant one.

The MP is just a better gun then the Glock which was really only designed to handle the 9 mm and then was shoe horned into chambering rounds like the 40 and 357 sig. Plus, I'm tired of getting my hand "slide bit" and that crappy angle of the grip has to go. If Glock was smart they would start offering replaceable back straps. They have built a great rep, and what use to be the best poly gun out, but they haven't done any real innovations on their base gun in along time. Even the ones done weren't huge. Mean while you have cutting edge innovative ideas being put into guns like the XD and MP. That along with every manufacture coming out with some type of plastic pistol.

Hell people want a glock with a better grip they are filling the hollow back strap with epoxy and filing down the grip and also adding beaver tails to stop the slide from biting their hand. you would think that would send them a message that changes are needed.

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since we've got some serious corporate knowledge here, what can I do to further accurize this rifle? Should I put 200 rds through it before messing with it? The trigger seems a tad heavy (I handled a Rem 700 PSS .308 at the same time but balked at paying $400 more...)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Get snap caps and fire it as much as you can is one thing you can do. Given its a factory barrel I would get some of Tubbs (Superior Shooting Systems) TMS system bullets or ammo. Factory barrels and chambers usually have tooling marks and are very rough. It can take a very long time to smooth them out by shooting and you are burning up you throat and ammo in the process. Not to mention all the cleaning. I've never heard anything but + from people that used them in factory guns. Cut some of their groups in 1/2. Once you do the TMS I would do a standard break in although probably unnecessary. This is a good one to follow http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm If you feel competent you can polish with Flitz all the trigger parts. DO NOT CHANGE ANY ANGLES OR TAKE OFF METAL. Just look to polish it up and make it nice and smooth. Because its a bolt gun you can also use that flitz to polish the chamber itself. Bolt guns are meant to have all the pressure on the bolt. This will have chambering and ejecting smoother. The only other things I would suggest is if it doesn't have target crown on it or if the crown has any inconsistencies at all redo it or lapp it. You can do a very good job with a tool offered by`Brownells http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=628&title=79\ MUZZLE CROWNING CUTTER or have a gunsmith do it for you.

The rest of performance can come from proper precision reloading techniques. Get the Book Precision Shooting Reloading Guide here http://www.precisionshooting.com/books.html. Also an online link that offers very good info is here http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Hope some of this helps

Tim

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am going senile, but thought I had remembered that, that rifle has an adjustable trigger. Polishing will help tremendously though no matter what.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Adjustable, I thought so and I'm glad I don't have to slap myself for speak up or out. I am not positive on adjusting it though, it may be of the type that you gotta remove from the gun to adjust. Oh but it should be a good shooting weapon and had for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Tim,
I have had a bunch of Glocks and while I never had a single issue with them, I just don't like em....
I much prefer a 1911 :)

I recently came across a great deal on very clean full sized M&P 40
nice shooter out of the box and it fits my hand so much better and points more naturally to me..
I also bought a SA XD a few years ago, the 5" tactical 40 and didn't keep it but a day.
had lots of Sigs too, and I have a SA 1911 and a few revolvers of course

the M&P line is good stuff
wish they made a compact 10mm !

BTW,
congrats on the 308, I love my 308 bolt (Tikka T3 lite stainless)
In fact, I bought a Sako 270 earlier this year, a new 85 stainless Finnlight and if push came to shove I would probably keep the 308 just because I love the caliber and available ammo for it, can get match grade stuff fairly cheap from a local LE shop and while I do handload, it's nice to be not have to.. of course there's a ton of 270 ammo easily available to but the 308 will do everything the 270 will do, both shoot a ragged hole and the Tikka was considerably less money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts