6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
How convenient... they recommend using Alexander Arms 6.5 ammo for safety purposes (and AA's bank account).

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
How convenient... they recommend using Alexander Arms 6.5 ammo for safety purposes (and AA's bank account).
LOL I had the same thought but then Cold linked a problem with Robarms too. I use Wolf primers but I have no use for wolf ammo of any caliber, unless of course someone was shooting at me and the box at my feet was the last in sight. Then I would pick it up and throw it at them :lol:
OOPs, sorry, I know, no strong opinions and I'll try to speak in a monotone voice.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Did they pressure test it, or are they just going by the brass?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paulosantos said:
Did they pressure test it, or are they just going by the brass?

John Paul is not exactly a slouch, I would LIKE to think he is going beyond just brass indications, but who knows.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
This will be interesting to follow. At first glance it sounds like a quality control problem of sorts. CMMG has a Wolf disclaimer in their warranty, so JPRifles are not the first to do something like this with Wolf ammo.

I've used Wolf in my carbines and handguns for practice ammo. I've never had any serious problems with it, and I was under the impression that they were usually lighter loads as Cold alluded.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wolf out of spec, shouldn't surprise anyone, add to that their copper fouling issues. Just what one would want a barrel full of copper shooting ammo with unknown potential. Now can the 6.8 get a plinking round please.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lastrites said:
Wolf out of spec, shouldn't surprise anyone, add to that their copper fouling issues. Just what one would want a barrel full of copper shooting ammo with unknown potential. Now can the 6.8 get a plinking round please.
Sure...as long as it's not Wolf!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: JP Rifles Statement... Wolf Works for Me

Howdy All,

I have 4000 rounds downrange between my Wilson CQB, M&P 45, G21, and my Sig STX in 45acp.

I have 4000 rounds downrange between my G34, G17, Sig 226, and M&P 9L.

I have 4000 rounds downrange between my LWRC M6A2, Bushy, Arsenal SLR 106FR, Sig 556, and JP CTR 02 (horrors!)

I have had no ammunition related mafunctions in any of these guns.

I clean my rifle barrels with powder remover first, then copper solvent (Sweets 762), and I have not had copper fouling issues.

I will qualify this though. All of these guns mentioned will run with Wolf, my 1911s and Glock race guns with lightened triggers (3lbs or less) won't set off Wolf primers reliably. Maybe 50 percent. Factory springs whack em hard enough, though. 2 years ago, I did have trouble with some of the old lacquer coated line of ammo in 40S&W. After that, the new polymer coated Classic ammo has been perfect for me.

I don't have time to reload and I can't afford to shoot the volume I would like to, buying new Federal, Winchester, Black Hills, Etc.

The amounts are all the same because I started using Wolf two summers ago and I buy at regular intervals from Gulf Coast Ammunition in texas.

Keep in mind that this is mostly practice ammo. I carry Hornady TAP, and CorBon DPX rounds for my carry pistols and trunk carbines. I shoot 3 Gun with Black Hills ammo. I shoot USPSA with Wolf 9 and 45 and I do pretty well.

Jon Paul is a good dude, and I own two of his rifles (LRP 07 and CTR02) but I have had talks with him over the phone and he is set in his ways and opinions. Ask him for a custom barrel profile, or try and tell him how to reduce flex in the design of his handguards, and see what happens.

Ultimately, remember what opinions are like.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
In a gun that is perfectly in tune just about any ammo within reason will run but you cannot deny there is a HUGE AMOUNT of support for the statement that WOLF ammo has very bad tolerances and if you are going to have an issue it will be with WOLF most of the time.

On John that is usually why some very good progress is NOT made. When people like start thinking unless they have thought of it the idea has no merit as nobody could possibly be smarter then I attitude. To let people know where I stand. I think much of JP stuff is the cats ass. Many ideas I have had have come from sing designs by him But at the same time I have personally known of one of his Cooley break that was milled so out of spec (crooked bore) it caused bullet strikes which blew it apart. One of his aluminum adj gas block that literally melted from a mags worth of fast fire. It shows that no matter how great you are or think you are everyone is far from perfect. I also think his premium rifle is on of them most beautiful top preforming setups out there. His receivers are works of art. He has probably the best single stage trigger. His barrel design is very unique and shows considerably out of the box thinking in how he set it up to perform as part of the whole system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts