6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I received #3 from this thread: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?61316-Spring-2016-Scratch-and-Dent
Firearm Gun Airsoft Fashion accessory Airsoft gun

One day I might do an SBR but for the foreseeable future it's going to be a pistol. I know I don't want a brake and a can is highly doubtful so I've been looking, reading and thinking about my options to reduce/redirect blast and flash. I've narrowed it down to the JAL linear, an A2 style or just using a thread protector. I know the first two do well on carbine length barrels but I don't know how effective they are on pistols/SBRs. I like the VLTOR VC-301 on my 18" but again, no idea how well they perform on a shorty.

I'd like to hear thoughts and suggestions from other short barrel users. Wait, that didn't sound right...

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd recommend a KAK blast can or noveske pig brake.

maybe a kaw valley or keis master blaster as second options.

i have a JAL and it does send blast forward but I believe due to its short overall length compared to the above and smaller (slender) profile that it isn't as effective as traditional forward blast muzzle brakes.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
My brother has the KAK on his 12.5" pistol. You can tell it pushes the blast down range.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot about the Kaw Valley, thanks!

The blast cans are an option but IMO they don't look right unless mostly covered by the handguard and that's not the case here. Just a matter of personal aesthetic preference but not off the table on the next build.

Minor thread derail. I found this pic while looking around and reading and it sure looks good to me. Something like this may be my next carbine project:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't forget the Black River Tactical linear comp. I have the Kaw Valley and both versions of the BRT and I prefer the looks of the BRT over the Kaw Valley.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I forgot about the Kaw Valley, thanks!

The blast cans are an option but IMO they don't look right unless mostly covered by the handguard and that's not the case here. Just a matter of personal aesthetic preference but not off the table on the next build.

Minor thread derail. I found this pic while looking around and reading and it sure looks good to me. Something like this may be my next carbine project:
That's pretty cool, I have the handguard and end cap.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
YHM? I think that's who I saw with a cap like that. How long is the hand guard?
YHM and MI both have end caps and they are similar.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Yesterday I received #3 from this thread: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?61316-Spring-2016-Scratch-and-Dent
View attachment 16425

One day I might do an SBR but for the foreseeable future it's going to be a pistol. I know I don't want a brake and a can is highly doubtful so I've been looking, reading and thinking about my options to reduce/redirect blast and flash. I've narrowed it down to the JAL linear, an A2 style or just using a thread protector. I know the first two do well on carbine length barrels but I don't know how effective they are on pistols/SBRs. I like the VLTOR VC-301 on my 18" but again, no idea how well they perform on a shorty.

I'd like to hear thoughts and suggestions from other short barrel users. Wait, that didn't sound right...

Thanks!
Nothing out there will direct blast downrange any better than a crowned muzzle or thread protector. An A2 will direct some of the blast and noise out to the sides and a break will direct the noise back at you. I used the KAK can just because I like the way it filled the end of the hand guard. While it doesn't change the direction of the sound any it is definitely a different sound. The pressure change by being dumped into the much larger diameter can is noticeable, almost more high pitched for lack of better description.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've got a thread protector on the way until I make a final decision. It seems counter intuitive to me that a crowned muzzle or thread protector would direct blasts down range better than a linear comp designed to do so. Not disputing the information, just trying to visualize it.

Agreed, the blast cans look better IMO when mostly covered by the handguard. Makes it look like something in the 40-Watt range...:a21:

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
I've got a thread protector on the way until I make a final decision. It seems counter intuitive to me that a crowned muzzle or thread protector would direct blasts down range better than a linear comp designed to do so. Not disputing the information, just trying to visualize it.

Agreed, the blast cans look better IMO when mostly covered by the handguard. Makes it look like something in the 40-Watt range...:a21:
Blast and flash comes straight out the end of the barrel if there is nothing like a flash suppressor there to divert it any other direction. Where else could it go. A linear comp does very little from personal experience as a muzzle break but it also does not direct any gases to the sides like a flash suppressor or to the rear like a regular brake. It just lets it go the same direction it was already going.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
You guys are getting way too technical about this.

ANY linear style compensator is going to be better than a bare muzzle (target or flush).

All you have to do is ask your ears to be the judge.

Ive shot my rifles with no brake and hearing protection is required.

Ive shot the same rifle with linear comps and it is more tolerable (hearing protection still required)

I don't need the Internet to explain to me why it is that way it just is - Try it with a sound meter from the exact location of where your earhole rests - if you need proof.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
You guys are getting way too technical about this.

ANY linear style compensator is going to be better than a bare muzzle (target or flush).

All you have to do is ask your ears to be the judge.

Ive shot my rifles with no brake and hearing protection is required.

Ive shot the same rifle with linear comps and it is more tolerable (hearing protection still required)

I don't need the Internet to explain to me why it is that way it just is - Try it with a sound meter from the exact location of where your earhole rests - if you need proof.
So all I am asking is how could that be possible. The linear comp does not reduce noise and a crowned muzzle will direct it straight down range in line with the bore so how is it possible that a linear comp is quieter than a crowned muzzle or thread protector? No question that a linear comp or crowned muzzle is quieter to the shooter than a standard brake (comp) or flash hider but how could it be quieter than a crowned muzzle? They both direct gasses downrange away from the shooter. To my knowledge, none of them have ever claimed to be quieter than a crowned muzzle.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Why not just say what you have to say. I can't decipher all that. Got no time for that.
I am saying that any linear comp is not going to direct gasses downrange any different than a crowned muzzle or tread protector. How could it possibly? Where else could the gas and noise go?
Actually I have my own opinion on what muzzle brake to use, I was just giving the op plenty of data to make his own decision

No hidden ajenda here, just providing information so the op can make and educated decision

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Actually I have my own opinion on what muzzle brake to use, I was just giving the op plenty of data to make his own decision

No hidden ajenda here, just providing information so the op can make and educated decision
Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of anything. I wondered if that was the way my reply sounded. I am just confused as to how someone could think a linear comp could be any different than a crowned muzzle. It seems to me that without anything there to redirect gasses (like a flash hider or muzzle brake) that they would both be the same. I have noticed the pistol with the KAK sounds different if you remove the can but only in tone. Not in volume. It has a higher pitch with the can but is still just as loud to my ear.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that I'm on a real computer and not an ipad I can try and explain why I don't see a linear and crowned muzzle having the same effect.

Blast and flash comes straight out the end of the barrel if there is nothing like a flash suppressor there to divert it any other direction.
But a linear device (not blast can) uses porting to direct everything forward, right?

A crowned muzzle:
image by awp101, on Flickr

I haven't been able to find a similar pic for a linear BUT what my mind pictures is the blast and pressure being directed forward due to the porting in the linear, not immediately coming out in a ball like the above picture shows.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Imagine a spray nozzle on a garden hose turned down all the way 2 ' from a pile of dirt,the pressure is concentrated in a narrow spot on the dirt and the resistance causes it to bounce back under a lot of pressure and displace a lot of dirt leaving a hole. Now open the nozzle to spray 45 ° and you will see the wide pattern has less linear force (pressure ) at any given spot and does not spray back as much or disturb the dirt as much . Linear comps Actually direct the gas from linear to angled flow and spread the escaping gas out reducing the pressure per inch (or how ever you want to measure it ) try it yourself the proof is in the pudding .

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts