6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve been watching the 6.8 SPC round casually more or less since its inception. I worked someplace that had one for testing, and it piqued my curiosity. So I started piecing a very basic 6.8 SPC carbine. Most of the stuff I own is pretty basic anyway, so I felt like it’d make for a good comparison. Basically I want to try out the caliber, but without putting a whole bunch of money into it until I decide I really like it.

Anyway, aside from ammo/reloading components, the only thing I’m kinda stuck on is mags. I have a couple of the E-Lander Grendel mags that I bought for a similar build in 6.5 Grendel. Supposedly, these work for 6.8 as well. Has anyone tried them? I haven’t been able to find anything one way or another.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hi all,

I’ve been watching the 6.8 SPC round casually more or less since its inception. I worked someplace that had one for testing, and it piqued my curiosity. So I started piecing a very basic 6.8 SPC carbine. Most of the stuff I own is pretty basic anyway, so I felt like it’d make for a good comparison. Basically I want to try out the caliber, but without putting a whole bunch of money into it until I decide I really like it.

Anyway, aside from ammo/reloading components, the only thing I’m kinda stuck on is mags. I have a couple of the E-Lander Grendel mags that I bought for a similar build in 6.5 Grendel. Supposedly, these work for 6.8 as well. Has anyone tried them? I haven’t been able to find anything one way or another.
Never tried them. I use AR Stoner mags. myself.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Grendel Magazines for a 6.8?

The ASC Grendel magazines are 6.8mm mag in sheep’s clothing. Everything is the same except the color of the follower being blue instead of gray. The Grendel E-Lander magazines have a narrower inside dimensions (0.715" vs .0800”) and did feed ok in my 6.8 ARs except where noted below. The “lip” that made for the E-Lander have a narrower inside dimension resulted in unique feeding characteristics with the 6.8mm SPC’s longer case. As seen in the pictures below, this lip held the 6.8mm case down inside the magazine so the case wall did not touch the magazine’s feed lips. During feeding, this forward lip angles the round inward resulting in the remaining rounds being pushed nose-down in the magazine. This could be an issue with the second to the last round is feed. The last remaining round would nose-dive more than typical and could cause a mechanical lock of the 6.8mm rounds. The lock was internal to the magazine caused by the lip. This was not consistently repeatable with 6.8 rounds. E-Lander magazine users report different experiences depending on the capacity of the magazine. The E-Lander 17-rounders I have are of high quality and hold 18 6.8mm rounds. Their maximum COAL is 2.275” which to me was limiting as I prefer to load as long as possible. There is a version that holds more than 20 rounds, but on-line reviews suggest avoiding these. I've also seen negative feedback with the 10-rounders.

I have had to modify my AR-Stoner magazines to feed reliably by filing down the forward lip so the lip of the brass necks would not catch on it. AR-Stoner magazines also limit COALs to 2.27". ASC and PRI magazines have done the best for me and allow loading COALs out to 2.29".

This may be more detail than you wanted. Bottom line, there should be no issue with you trying your E-Lander magazines with your 6.8 AR.

Eyebrow Liquid Eyelash Cosmetics Lipstick

Reactions: Woodstock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grendel Magazines for a 6.8?

The ASC Grendel magazines are 6.8mm mag in sheep’s clothing. Everything is the same except the color of the follower being blue instead of gray. The Grendel E-Lander magazines have a narrower inside dimensions (0.715" vs .0800”) and did feed ok in my 6.8 ARs except where noted below. The “lip” that made for the E-Lander have a narrower inside dimension resulted in unique feeding characteristics with the 6.8mm SPC’s longer case. As seen in the pictures below, this lip held the 6.8mm case down inside the magazine so the case wall did not touch the magazine’s feed lips. During feeding, this forward lip angles the round inward resulting in the remaining rounds being pushed nose-down in the magazine. This could be an issue with the second to the last round is feed. The last remaining round would nose-dive more than typical and could cause a mechanical lock of the 6.8mm rounds. The lock was internal to the magazine caused by the lip. This was not consistently repeatable with 6.8 rounds. E-Lander magazine users report different experiences depending on the capacity of the magazine. The E-Lander 17-rounders I have are of high quality and hold 18 6.8mm rounds. Their maximum COAL is 2.275” which to me was limiting as I prefer to load as long as possible. There is a version that holds more than 20 rounds, but on-line reviews suggest avoiding these. I've also seen negative feedback with the 10-rounders.

I have had to modify my AR-Stoner magazines to feed reliably by filing down the forward lip so the lip of the brass necks would not catch on it. AR-Stoner magazines also limit COALs to 2.27". ASC and PRI magazines have done the best for me and allow loading COALs out to 2.29".

This may be more detail than you wanted. Bottom line, there should be no issue with you trying your E-Lander magazines with your 6.8 AR.

View attachment 76888
Thanks for the detailed description. I’m actually a gunsmith by trade, and I like to hear the specifics.

I don’t remember what the capacity of these is supposed to be, but they’re basically the same size externally as 30rd 5.56 mags.

Which actually brings another question-is there an actual 30rd mag for 6.8?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description. I’m actually a gunsmith by trade, and I like to hear the specifics.

I don’t remember what the capacity of these is supposed to be, but they’re basically the same size externally as 30rd 5.56 mags.

most I have ever seen is 28. I prefer the 15 rounders myself. I load to 2.285 on my AR stoner 15 rounders. As X stated 2.7 if your using 25 rounders for those mags

·
Registered
71 Posts

Barrett made 30 round 6.8 mags but they have been discontinued.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi all,

I have a bunch of ASC 6.8 mags I load to 25rds each using the Larry Vickers thumb nail rule. I have fired 110gr OTM, 110gr FMJ, 120gr MKZ, 120gr SST, 110gr VMax / Black and 110gr Nossler all without issues.

You can load to 26~27 rds if you don't need an administrative or tactical reload on a closed bolt. I have no feed issues with ANY of them and typically shoot several thousand rounds a year per caliber (5.56, 6.8 and 9mm).

My mags get dropped on the ground, kicked around in the dirt / dust etc. and they have proven reliable. I will say that in the past (other less quality builds) I did have a few ASC mags I THOUGHT were picky, I ended up replacing the cheap mil-spec mag catch with a Geissele that was machined using a much stiffer retention spring, suddenly the "picky" mags became 100% reliable, so be sure everything is up to snuff including the receiver feed ramps, barrel extension feed ramps and quality of the mag catch / catch spring stiffness.

Cheap out in any of those areas with something that isn't optimally designed and made, you will likely run into feed issues. Pri mags I hear a really good for loading long, but my ASC's will take some decently long loads as well. DHA's will NOT take factory loaded 120gr MKZ's and I have not found them to feed as well as the ASC's.

If you want to go the expensive route, you could buy a LWRC receiver set (upper and lower), then buy PMag's in 6.8 SPC designed specifically for LWRC's "enhanced 6.8 receivers". It's spendy, but probably one of highest quality options out there. Magpul's PMags are a true 30 rounds, but not as long as Barretts because they are slightly wider than a standard AR mag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts