6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have never seen anyone being censored for say anything religious before. Interesting video. I think there might be a backstory.
Quite the opposite in fact. Almost every Army ceremony of any importance opens and closes with the Chaplain. I'm sure there was more to the story than that article.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If he was spewing Aloha Snackbar he would have been left alone

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
God help him and the United States if he had mentioned ISIS or ISIL, maybe they would have shot him.

The officer in charge should be FIRED, as in Congress forcing him to go NOW. And those PC should be forced to under go training in the Bill of Rights, they can and should have said NO.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
God help him and the United States if he had mentioned ISIS or ISIL, maybe they would have shot him.

The officer in charge should be FIRED, as in Congress forcing him to go NOW. And those PC should be forced to under go training in the Bill of Rights, they can and should have said NO.
Disturbing the ceremony for any reason is wrong. If religion is your driving force then find a place that will accommodate you.

Why must everything turn into a pile of "stink" because of anyone's religious beliefs?

Silver

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds like the Air Force now has political officers just like the old soviet union did, ensuring that the proper "king Hussein" approved political/religious view is expressed!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sounds like the Air Force now has political officers just like the old soviet union did, ensuring that the proper "king Hussein" approved political/religious view is expressed!
The ceremony was disturbed.

That is wrong.

It is what it is.

Your "king Hussein" reference is offensive as it is an irrational religious retort to someone that does not want religion to play a part in a ceremony that has a history of honoring someone under the flag.

Some folks just need to get a grip. There are many of us that don't think that religion has delivered anything but pain to this planet since the first person decided that we needed to believe that the world is flat.

Silver

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
someone that does not want religion to play a part in a ceremony that has a history of honoring someone under the flag.

Silver
the vet being honored requested

"Rodriguez retired from the Air Force in 2013 after 33 years of service to his nation. He has a clear and distinctive voice and is frequently asked to deliver the flag-folding speech at retirement ceremonies.

On April 3, 2016, Master Sergeant Charles Roberson was retiring from active duty. Roberson had heard Rodriguez give his stirring rendition of the traditional flag-folding speech and asked Rodriguez if he would give that speech at Roberson's retirement celebration at Travis Air Force Base where Roberson served in the 749th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron."

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the vet being honored requested

"Rodriguez retired from the Air Force in 2013 after 33 years of service to his nation. He has a clear and distinctive voice and is frequently asked to deliver the flag-folding speech at retirement ceremonies.

On April 3, 2016, Master Sergeant Charles Roberson was retiring from active duty. Roberson had heard Rodriguez give his stirring rendition of the traditional flag-folding speech and asked Rodriguez if he would give that speech at Roberson's retirement celebration at Travis Air Force Base where Roberson served in the 749th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron."
The honoring and performing soldiers probably had no clue of Rodriguez's last request. Typical VA and government sand in eyes and ears. It may well be that deviation from the ceremony is not allowed.

I respectfully submit that I have a right to be free from religion as anyone has a right to practice what religion they feel is right for them.

Silver

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The honoring and performing soldiers probably had no clue of Rodriguez's last request. Typical VA and government sand in eyes and ears. It may well be that deviation from the ceremony is not allowed.

I respectfully submit that I have a right to be free from religion as anyone has a right to practice what religion they feel is right for them.

Silver
You do have that right, especially if you are the honoree, but the retiring guy wanted it to be part of his ceremony, while the commanding officer chose to discriminate against his wish. From the circumstances reported in the article, I see that the base commander thinks his opinion or the DOD's policy supersedes the retirees wish, but I imagine that the retiree specifically requested this to test the policy that currently is being enforced. At this point the courts will determine what is allowed given the fact that it is a military retirement and not a civilian one.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
My problem with this is that it comes from the policies of some one who did not serve, who refuses to believe that the muslim religion can any way become terrorist as in ISIS or ISIL, and his policies are resulting in the death of many US Citizens.

At least most of the news networks mentioned that the fbi deleted mention of ISIS or ISIL from the hours of his rants to TV and radio stations. The purpose of the deletions are not for what they say, but due to his royal highness policies.

Some day the truth will come out about his criminal acts as he prefers to let terrorists do their thing so he can remove the guns from the sheep who will give them up, like Australia did. H Rodham C would love that.

I do agree more lives had been lost over religions in man kinds history, the Germany had what, a hundred years of war, The popes used to go to war all the time. Japan had their living God.

That being said the base commander should be fired. Trump should have these fine retired airman on live TV give his retirement in full!!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Typical VA and government sand in eyes and ears. It may well be that deviation from the ceremony is not allowed.

Silver
First off, this is an old story that is being reported as something it is not (only the lawsuit part is new). The Squadron CO, Lieutenant Colonel Sovitsky, had a personal beef with Senior Master Sergeant Rodriguez. A Retirement Ceremony was absolutely NOT the place to pursue this beef.

As far as deviations go, first the VA has zero to do with the ceremony. I am retired, and have participated in MANY retirement ceremonies, as Sponsor (the person in charge of overall planning, organization and execution of ceremony), Official Party (on the dais/stage as command rep), a member of various performances (like the flag folding shown), as a reader, a presenter (presenting awards or gifts) and finally as the retiree. While there is much tradition in the retirement ceremony, and many follow a boilerplate program, the content of the ceremony is fully up to the retiree.

I retired under President Obama, but the Presidential Letter I was presented was signed by President GWB - as I requested. I selected a Presiding Officer that was not my CO. I Selected an Awards Presenter other than my Command Master Chief. I selected ALL of the people that read, performed, presented and presided at MY ceremony. I selected friends, peers and people I respected, just as I'm sure Master Sergeant Roberson did. For his CO to interfere with this mans retirement is absolutely unsat! This had nothing to do with religious freedom. This was about a piss poor CO with a personal vendetta who had no problem screwing over a Senior Enlisted Airman at a once in a lifetime event that meant a lot to him and his family.

Lieutenant Colonel Sovitsky's actions that day brought discredit upon the United States Air Force, and he should be properly disciplined for those actions. He obviously has low regard for his enlisted men, and IMHO, that makes him unfit to lead them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.