6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal on pulled 6.8 brass.........but it is staked primers. Since I have no experience with this type of brass, could someone tell me if the staked primers are hard to remove and after a primer pocket swage application will the brass hold up like regular unstaked brass?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Buy a pocket swager by RCBS, after you pop the primer, swage the hole, gtg

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Once fired military brass with crimped primers should come off with the decapper/sizer wo any problems.
One can swag the primer pockets or simply cut them with a chamfering. RCBS has a swagger tool but they also sell a simple chamfering/crimp cutter that
you can install in a drill or the power station.

Initially I simply run the cutters so I don't have to put unnecessary tension at the web of the case. In some occasions I use the swagging tool but this
tool works by putting substantial force on the web of the brass and molding the brass. This is something that I leave for softer brass brands
and batches.

Crimp remover/cutter.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I got a deal on pulled 6.8 brass.........but it is staked primers. Since I have no experience with this type of brass, could someone tell me if the staked primers are hard to remove and after a primer pocket swage application will the brass hold up like regular unstaked brass?
They are not hard to remove and can generally be reamed out with a simple neck chamfer tool. Far easier to deal with than crimped primers and require far less reaming.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
They are not hard to remove and can generally be reamed out with a simple neck chamfer tool. Far easier to deal with than crimped primers and require far less reaming.
I'd be interested to know if these are actually staked primers, or if the OP is referring to crimped primers. The only staked 6.8 primed brass that I know of was the very first run of Remington that shipped with Barrett rifles.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reading the helpful comments, I think I may have used the wrong term. I thought the proper term was staked, but it maybe crimped, as there is a ring of stamped brass holding the primer.

Feel free to correct my terminology if needed. Thank you

I went down to Academy weeks ago hoping to find the RCBS primer pocket swage tool, but they were out of stock. At present many of the Academy reloading items are "out of stock" and appear to be dwindling to a "we can order it for you" status.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Reading the helpful comments, I think I may have used the wrong term. I thought the proper term was staked, but it maybe crimped, as there is a ring of stamped brass holding the primer.

Feel free to correct my terminology if needed. Thank you

I went down to Academy weeks ago hoping to find the RCBS primer pocket swage tool, but they were out of stock. At present many of the Academy reloading items are "out of stock" and appear to be dwindling to a "we can order it for you" status.
It is the same but different. You pretty much do the same thing to get rid of the crimp. Either swage or ream it, or both in some cases. Federal brass was the absolute biggest PITA for me. Hornady not so bad.
This is the model I use: http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...76348a&gdfms=46DC2A77018C450187F76B556E2B3D39

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Not sure if your aware but Academy has caved to the anti AR liberal agenda.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ports-pulling-modern-sporting-rifles-shelves/
In addition Daniel Defence pulled their distribution status.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...rminates-agreement-academy-sports-no-guns-us/

Here are a thread on the matter.
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?62562-Quality-move-by-Daniel-Defense-fired-a-retailer

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly I am all too aware of Academy's gun aversion responses to current and past maniac massacre events. The Orlando Massacre happened after I check on the parts.

I am also aware that Academy's management are really falling down on the job. Shelves are half-ass organized and stock is not replaced as it should be. Heck, even the restrooms are not being maintained properly.

Still........they have better prices than the local gun stores.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like the RCBS unit as well, got one from the classifieds here awhile back, good tool, easy to use.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My RCBS unit works great with Federal 6.8 brass with crimps. When I Bought my Razorback it came with 500rds of the Federal ammo. Still have 400 rds. I'm like my hand loads better so I just keep in reserve.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
It is the same but different. You pretty much do the same thing to get rid of the crimp. Either swage or ream it, or both in some cases. Federal brass was the absolute biggest PITA for me. Hornady not so bad.
This is the model I use: http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...76348a&gdfms=46DC2A77018C450187F76B556E2B3D39
Yes, Federal is a real PITA. I tried swaging and had very limited success, then I reamed and had marginal success reaming the same, and as much, as I do with 223 cases. Then I got pissed and reamed the crap out of it with my drill and Lyman reamer tip down till it bottomed out in the pocket. SUCCESS! I had someone sell me a bunch of Fed brass that he said was swaged in a Dillon Super Swager. Well, 75% of it had to end up being reamed like the last step above. That's probably the main reason I don't own a Dillon Swager. Either the guy didn't do it correctly or it's no better than my RCBS setup which, BTW, works fine on other crimped brass like 223, 308, 30-06.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've read that reaming makes for a more uniform pocket and therefore equal pressure to seat across a bunch of brass, I buy mostly virgin brass now, so very little swagging any more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I use the RCBS swager and the crimp remover. I bought 1K Federal from someone on here about a year ago. Used the swager first. A tip- make sure you take your time getting it set up right or you'll get loose pockets more quickly. Using the crimp remover until it bottoms out has led to loose pockets quicker for me in Fed brass too. If I had it to do over again, I would've gone minimalist at first and dealt with harder to load primers on the first two or so reloads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts