6.8 SPC Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1253 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to consolidate the intros in one thread. Can everyone please post your intro here so it is all in one thread instead of having several threads all over the place.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone. I purchased my first 6.8 upper last year and i am on my second one, which is the Ko-Tonics 16" Chrome Lined barrel with 1:11" twist. I got into the 6.8SPC cartridge because I wanted the best cartridge available in the AR-15.

I joined this site because I wanted a dedicated 6.8SPC Forum without all the BS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I found out about this site while searching for parts/info on AR15.com. I don't have an AR of my own yet, just the one Uncle Sam gives me to use at times in the reserves. I am looking to build one for deer hunting. Some friends think I'm nuts but, I think it would be a good "do all" whitetail rifle if set up properly. I hunt northern WI in late Nov and it gets cold. That is why I think the ACE stock would be good, won't have to put my face on cold plastic or alum. We do a lot of tree stand hunting and deer drives here. The 6.8 should be good on stand to 200 yds and nice to carry through the thick swamps and woods. I want to get an 18" pipe from KO-TONICS but, I don't know which would be the most practical hider/brake to put on it. I see many of you have expieriance with this. Something to keep the muzzle down for follow up shots would be nice but, I don't want to blow any ears out with the increased report from many brakes. Any suggestions would be great. I want to do this right the first time, and all options to be practical for a whitetail slayer.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.
Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
All,
Finally found a forum that strictly surrounds the 6.8SPC. I do won 3 6.8SPC rifles and enjoy shooting this kick ass round. Also, I do own the 6.5 Grendel which is by far my favorite AR cartridge. Before anyone slams the Grendel, I am neutral between the two since they both have their won purpose. I hope to gather new information from this forum especially from the reloaders.

Best regards!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OPFORguy said:
Hello all. I found out about this site while searching for parts/info on AR15.com. I don't have an AR of my own yet, just the one Uncle Sam gives me to use at times in the reserves. I am looking to build one for deer hunting. Some friends think I'm nuts but, I think it would be a good "do all" whitetail rifle if set up properly. I hunt northern WI in late Nov and it gets cold. That is why I think the ACE stock would be good, won't have to put my face on cold plastic or alum. We do a lot of tree stand hunting and deer drives here. The 6.8 should be good on stand to 200 yds and nice to carry through the thick swamps and woods. I want to get an 18" pipe from KO-TONICS but, I don't know which would be the most practical hider/brake to put on it. I see many of you have expieriance with this. Something to keep the muzzle down for follow up shots would be nice but, I don't want to blow any ears out with the increased report from many brakes. Any suggestions would be great. I want to do this right the first time, and all options to be practical for a whitetail slayer.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.
Tony
Welcome aboard Tony. If you want a muzzle brake, the best one right now is the PRI 6.8 brake. If you wait a month or so, Primary Weapons Systems is coming out with a brake/flash hider combo that will be the absolute best for the 6.8. If you just want a flash hider, the Smith Vortex is one of the best.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
thmpr said:
All,
Finally found a forum that strictly surrounds the 6.8SPC. I do won 3 6.8SPC rifles and enjoy shooting this kick ass round. Also, I do own the 6.5 Grendel which is by far my favorite AR cartridge. Before anyone slams the Grendel, I am neutral between the two since they both have their won purpose. I hope to gather new information from this forum especially from the reloaders.

Best regards!
Welcome

Your not the only guy here with both 6.8 and 6.5 rifles.

We just try to keep it focused here as opposed to what happens on occasion on other sites! Thanks for stopping by!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thmpr said:
All,

Best regards!
Welcome aboard. I also like the 6.5Grendel and I believe they will both stay around for a long time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
New to the board and relatively new to the 6.8, but I'm hooked.

I've put together a 6.8 on a dedicated Stag Arms lower and LEFTY upper. My 2nd lefty AR as my first one was a custom 204 Ruger for prairie dog shooting.

I've grown to love this little cartridge already and look forward to taking a few deer with it. The limit is 5 right in my area and I can legally hunt on my own property so I try using various rifles and handguns to do my part in thinning the herd to keep it interesting. (I've got a local pastor that will take all the venison I'll donate him as he has 10-12 foster kids in his home at all times.)

I've been going crazy trying to figure out a way to build a lefty bolt rifle in 6.8. Then I saw the post by RealTeacher on the topic of converting the CZ 527 to a 6.8. He's been a great help in my efforts to convert a lefty CZ 527 .223 I have to 6.8. I have the barrel, rifle and stock together. Now when I find the bottom metal I need Then I'll be set to put it together.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have one 6.8mm platform and I'm interested in what capabilities of the caliber will prove to be.

A few years in the Mil and a few years in LE - working patrol.

Erick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello One and All,

First time joining any forum. New to this stuff. Hooked on the caliber so I decided to join this forum for the information available.

Been shootin AR's for many years. Love the design and function of the AR platform. Built a 16" flattop carbine kit in 6.8 for my 10 year old to start hunting with a couple of years ago. Perfect gun for a young hunter.....Low recoil, plenty of knockdown power for medium game. Loved it so much that I started using it myself. Now that he is a little older he doesn't want to share. He told me to get my own. Therefore, I just purchased a Ko-Tonics 18" upper for myself. Can't wait for deer season this fall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, do not have 6.8 at this time but I have .223 ar and thinking about buying upper .trying to find out asuch as I can before buying anything.so any information to help me would be great thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I am a lineman and trapper in northern Minnesota. I am fairly new to the world of AR's.

My purpose for the 6.8 is deer hunting, and a little more power for coyotes.

I am still waiting on my 6.8 upper, hopefully get it before deer season. I already have lots of ammo and an ACOG optic for it.

I like all kinds of hunting. I bowhunt with home made longbows and arrows (successfully) I don't prefer compounds for my own self, and I also like hunting with AR's. EXtreme ends of the spectrum, EH ! I am not much of a shotgunner, a fair pistol shot, and better than average rifle shot.

Hoping to learn more here.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Welcome Dale

I know we all love to see photos of Animals taken with the 6.8 SPC

If you get any yotes/song dogs with your 6.8 be sure to take a photo if you can and post it here!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the great site.

I built up a "Truck Gun" around a Ruger 77MKII all action with a 20" take off Mountain barrel from a Remington 700.

It shoots sub moa with all the loads I have tested so far and wears either a NEGC detachable peep sight or a Trijicon 1.1-4x Accupoint.

Less than a $1000 in the gun including the scope. Makes a great varmint and deer shooter and has a lot more power available than the rifle had in it's 223Rem original condition.

Next to my Blaser rifles and the metric calibers, it is my favorite rifle. Much like the 6.5x55, it kills way out of proportion to it's paper ballistics.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the great site.

I built up a "Truck Gun" around a Ruger 77MKII all weather action with a 20" take off Mountain barrel from a Remington 700.

It shoots sub moa with all the loads I have tested so far and wears either a NECG detachable peep sight or a Trijicon 1.1-4x Accupoint.

Less than a $1100 in the gun including the scope. Makes a great varmint and deer shooter and has a lot more power available than the rifle had in it's 223Rem original condition.

Next to my Blaser rifles and the metric calibers, it is my favorite rifle. Much like the 6.5x55, it kills way out of proportion to it's paper ballistics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, my name is DM, and I'm an SPCoholic...

No, seriously though, I'm here because I'm related to one of your industry partners, http://www.Ko-Tonics.com. I've been an avid supporter of the 6.8SPC industry since I first heard of it about two years ago. I use it to hunt, usually pigs, but gonna try it out on deer soon. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a good deal on a LMT CQB MRP in 5.56 & 6.8. Aways wanted a MRP so I took the jump and have not looked back or regretted it since. Just going to have to start reloading so I can shoot more.

Mick

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hey guys,
Pleasure to join up. I thoungt I posted my intro last week, must have been dreaming or a bad network link...yea, that's it! Nice web space you have here to talk 6.8 stuff. I just ordered my first "civilian" AR platform last week, should be here in a few days. After many weeks of looking at several companies, I went with the Stagg Model 5. I opted for the original carry handle w/sights. I may add optics latter, after I become intimately familiar with my new "sweetheart". I decided on the 6.8 because I have used it before and it was origially developed for the 16.5" barrell. Besides, on my USAF pention, I can only afford one rifle right now, and I need a versital round--varmits, deer, tresspassers. I may have errored on choice of sights, but that's why I am here...to get feed back and dicsuss things.

1 - 20 of 1253 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.