6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
My youngest brothers favorite round. He hates it when I point out my 18” 30-30 has more range and energy. I gave up on the 30-30 some 25-odd year ago because it lacks energy and range.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Twenty or so years ago I had thought that maybe the 300 Whisper would be the perfect .30 cal plinking round. Pretty much an improved 30 Carbine, in my mind. I liked 30 caliber for some reason and had no interest in making .223 holes in targets (hell, a pellet gun could do that!). Once the 300BO came out, I lost interest when I discovered that it was really optimized for subsonic applications and often had accuracy issues with supersonic loads. By then, I already had a 7.62x39 and 30-30's for plinking.

·
Administrator
22,751 Posts
Twenty or so years ago I had thought that maybe the 300 Whisper would be the perfect .30 cal plinking round. Pretty much an improved 30 Carbine, in my mind. I liked 30 caliber for some reason and had no interest in making .223 holes in targets (hell, a pellet gun could do that!). Once the 300BO came out, I lost interest when I discovered that it was really optimized for subsonic applications and often had accuracy issues with supersonic loads. By then, I already had a 7.62x39 and 30-30's for plinking.
You might be surprised at what some of the .30 PCP pellet rifles are capable of these days, and ACCURATE too.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
SSG Daniel Horner laughs in 300BO at this thread. As do the HSLD critters that do silent removal beyond arms length.

What other cartridge can be as Hollywood quiet in a modern rifle as the 300BO? Yeah, I'm talking about measured db.
It sure as frack not that affordable 7.62 x 39mm Commie cartridge or 30-30WIN in a suppressed SKS or lever gun, respectively. BTW, 190-220grains of quiet is a quality all its own.

BTW2, 110-125gr pills are out there that perform well in medium sized four & two legged mammals taken at distances on the low right-hand side
of the Bell Curve's X axis. With all of the information out there on the 300BO... It doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts
to figure out that it is a very fine cartridge for many uses. Did I mention 110-125gr pills or silent removal?

BTW3, how many life experienced adults (in your area) claim to shoot frequently BUTT!!! don't reload? 300BO is as financially frugal to reload as 6.8 x 43mm.
I luvzmesum both.

BTW4, don't forget about the effectiveness of a blowtorch and a set of pliers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A 10.5" .300 BO is my choice for a home defense AR. Way less muzzle blast than my 11.5" 5.56 and it throws 110 gr .30 cal pills at effective velocities with 100 yards. I just don't plan to shoot it further than 100 yrds.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts