6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
22,751 Posts
I wouldn't stake my tomatoes with a .300WTF barrel. But I still want to throw-up in my mouth at the thought of its "daddy". I'd do a .45ACP for sub-sonic door kicking, if I was still in the business of kicking doors once in a while. That would interchange loading into my sidearm.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I have a .45 acp with a 10" barrel (sbr) that is one of the my guns that is at the top of the fun list. My impression that the only thing that might make it more better would be a suppressor. On my to do list is a .458 with a similar length barrel. I think it would be more akin to a catapult impact when it hit something at 100 yds or so with a 400gn bullet.

Around here, the BO is referred to as that rainbow gun due to the trajectory. Everyone agrees that it is a nice suppressed round but no one seems to know what to do with it and no one talks about it anymore.

I don't hear much at all about the .224V or any of the recently introduced calibers either. Of course, we are out in the boondocks and most guys that actually shoot a lot tend to stick to stuff that is tried and proven. It's hard to get deader than dead and things like .223/5.56, 22-250, and .308 work. Amazing how many guys I know pay absolutely no attention to bulletin board commandos. Idiots like me that have more guns than sense give them something to laugh about but they are right. They usually kill more things with two or three guns that some of us will ever shoot with 40 or so.

It should scare manufacturers to know that much of the market is either built upon fear, or a few of us nuts that like them a lot more than we use them. It's a house of cards with all the calibers that are being "invented" and then forgotten when they don't take off with other than initial interest.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I don't hear much at all about the .224V or any of the recently introduced calibers either.
It wasn't really that much better than the 223/5.56, and too many had trouble with the heavy bullets. IMO, they would have been better off making the Valkyrie a 6mm based on the 95gr SMK instead of a pencil lead.

I've got a 300BO, but only because I picked up the barrel dirt cheap. I remain unimpressed with it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'm going to be the trouble maker here . The 6.8 is the best AR caliber hands down . That said I love my 8.5" BO. It is easy and cheap to load for and 90% of the time I don't need the power of my 12 .5 " 6.8 . The 8.5" with suppressor is as short as the 12.5" with linear comp. and a lot quiter . Yes I know I can get a 8.5" 6.8 but that would mean I would be using up prescious 6.8 brass better spent on something besides armidello and ground hogs. Since I live in the least populated most rural country in the Mo. Ozarks I actually use my" truck gun" regularly on my 400 acres of wildlife habitat . As far as a deer hunting rifle it does have limitations and if it were not for the CBB 125 I would not even consider it a good close range (0-150 yd ) and if it were not for the 195 CBB I would not consider it any better than a 45 for subsonic self defense . Of course if cavity back would come out with a sub 6.8 bullet around 195 - 205 grains and H would make a 8 1/2 " fast twist barrel for it my . 300 BO . Would be replaced and I would just have to go back to keeping the brass catcher handy .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
IMO, the best all around gun ever produced is a .410. I looked down this morning while I was putting some water in a bird bath and realized my right foot was 2" from this little gem. She never rattled, never moved her head but she was looking at me. I think she was coiled up waiting to get a bird because I had scattered some seed on the ground right in front of her for the birds that like to eat off the ground like buntings and such. Six buttons.

Plant Twig Grass Wood Terrestrial animal

Leg People in nature Road surface Asphalt Flooring

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
IMO, the best all around gun ever produced is a .410. I looked down this morning while I was putting some water in a bird bath and realized my right foot was 2" from this little gem. She never rattled, never moved her head but she was looking at me. I think she was coiled up waiting to get a bird because I had scattered some seed on the ground right in front of her for the birds that like to eat off the ground like buntings and such. Six buttons.

View attachment 76266

View attachment 76265
What , you didn't humanly relocate her to a safe place out of harms way !!!

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 300BO for a special purpose just in case. I think it's better than a 9mm subgun but can't be compared to a 6.8 for hunting. If I shoot 208 gr subs and 110gr supers there is 10" difference in POI at 50 yards so that is a no go even with a ranging reticle, I zero it for one or the other.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have a 300BO for a special purpose just in case. I think it's better than a 9mm subgun but can't be compared to a 6.8 for hunting. If I shoot 208 gr subs and 110gr supers there is 10" difference in POI at 50 yards so that is a no go even with a ranging reticle, I zero it for one or the other.
Before I put a can on it with mine dead on at 50yd with 125 CBB . 220 grain S&B was 4" low and 2" left with can it became 2" high 1" right with 125 s and 3" high and 2" right with 220 . I found this odd but didn't test any farther because when my 5" straight tube arrived I'm going to switch the barrel to a new upper .

·
Vendor
2,363 Posts
Not my fave caliber either. However we can get 200 fps more with CCB 125's than any other 125 out of it.
I sell quite a bit of ammo and projectiles for it.
Our stuffs not cheap either.
Inside 100 yards it works pretty well though from the reports I get from customers.
Deer, bear and hogs are what I see guys using it on.
Every cartridge has a place.
Travis Haley made the 300BO be a thing by getting behind it.
Suppressed subs in the 200 grain range are pretty wicked for CQB. It does that better than anything in an AR15

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have a 10.5 inch 300BO upper for my SBR. It's an easy round to load and with heavy pills (sub-sonic) and my suppressor, fun to shoot. Not sure I'd hunt anything serious with it, unless of course social justice warriors invade my neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Not my fave caliber either. However we can get 200 fps more with CCB 125's than any other 125 out of it.
I sell quite a bit of ammo and projectiles for it.
Our stuffs not cheap either.
Inside 100 yards it works pretty well though from the reports I get from customers.
Deer, bear and hogs are what I see guys using it on.
Every cartridge has a place.
Travis Haley made the 300BO be a thing by getting behind it.
Suppressed subs in the 200 grain range are pretty wicked for CQB. It does that better than anything in an AR15
What powder do you use with the 125 and 195s

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 10.5 inch 300BO upper for my SBR. It's an easy round to load and with heavy pills (sub-sonic) and my suppressor, fun to shoot. Not sure I'd hunt anything serious with it, unless of course social justice warriors invade my neighborhood.
Ah, my "special purpose"

·
Vendor
2,363 Posts
What powder do you use with the 125 and 195s

Shooters World BO for the 195 subs
Shooters World SoCom for the 125
Lil gun also works well with the 125.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Shooters World BO for the 195 subs
Shooters World SoCom for the 125
Lil gun also works well with the 125.
Thanks , I have been using h 110 for 125s . I use cci 400 primers ( because I have a couple of bricks I have no other use for ) and have not gone high enough to crater them so I'm probably not close to max yet . I also have not gone past manual recommendations for lead 125s .

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like it in my 8.5”. I haven’t got a kill with it yet, but that little SBR is handy getting in and out of SxS when hunting in the woods. I suppress everything. I also like the loading logistics, and don’t sweat if I lose a piece of brass like I do with the 6.8.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts