6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these in a magazine add a while back and finally got around to looking up some info online about them. They are made by CEB Cutting Edge Bullets. They offer a 110gr .277 ESP Raptor.

Anyway, these bullets are quite odd. They are a brass hollow point with a solid brass base. And come with plastic ballistic tips that the user can choose to install or not. Apperently the front part of the bullet shatters into 6 petals within the first 4" of penetration creating a star shaped wound channel, while the core/base remains intact and penetrates very deep. At least that is how I understand it from reading on their website.

They sure are proud of these bullets! The price is crazy, and they only give you 25 tips with 50 bullets!! that's pretty lame considering how much they are charging for them. At least IMO.

So what say you? marketing hype or innovative new bullet design?

here's a couple links for further reading and pictures.

bottom of this page has the Raptor info
http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/pages/bullet_types_brass

pic of the bullets fragging tip and solid base
http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/pages/bullet_design_brass

the .277 bullet with a bit of reloading info.
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ESP_H110_RAPTOR

·
Registered
247 Posts
The bc is only .26 with the tip and .12 without it. That's not too good.

Sent from my BRAIN using ESP

·
Registered
615 Posts
It almost sounds like an April Fools thing to me...
/rant on:
For one thing, a "bullet *system*?" Give me a break. A wrench is not a "nut tightening system" just because you can use a cheater bar. Popping on a tip does not a system make, no more than adding a copper jacket to a lead bullet does. Methinks that the marketing people believe that folks will pay more for anything that is labeled a "system."
Likewise the name: Raptor. I guess everybody wants a cool name for their product, but I have noticed a positive relationship between the "cool factor" of a product's name and the MSRP relative to its competitors without impressive monikers. Go into the Ace Hardware, for example, and buy a wrench. It will be inexpensive and good. Then look online for a Ninja Astronaut wrench or whatever...it will probably be less than you think it should be for the price it costs.
/rant off. Whew, sorry about that...apologies for breaking the cardinal rule of giving an uninformed opinion.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also, with a 1:9 twist rate or faster, we probably could'nt stabalize then anyway.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope not an April Fool's joke, although it seems fit to be one.:a06:

As for brass bullets, they are commonly used for dangerous game, with no ill effects to the barrel that I am aware of.

Bison's new 6.8 BSP 1:7 barrels could stabilize them fine. They also make some all copper VLD bullets 120-140gr. But they are expensive as hell too.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Ya know...I've heard of a "system" that has a plastic tip, produces 1 MOA out of my rifle and kills stuff DEAD on the spot that doesn't cost nearly that much. It's a Hornady 120 SST. I don't plan on going after dangerous game with my 6.8 SPC.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
For that price they better kill multiple targets with one bullet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Feel free to ask me any questions about the Raptor bullets

Feel free to ask me any questions about the Raptor bullets.These are not your average bullet as you can tell.All precision lathe turned solids with minimal bearing surface with a brass that is easy on your barrels.I am trying to get a special 6.8 SPC bullet made designed for correct bullet protrusion to work in most magazine lengths.There is already a 100 grain 308 version for the 300 blackout. I would like to see a 90 grain bullet made for the 6.8 SPC. These bullets love velocity and when hunting under 200 yards these things should make you quite happy. If you want to cut costs on your bullets these are not that kind of bullet. Beyond the 6.8 I hope you try them out for your hunts and post the results you find. You should be hearing a lot more about Cutting Edge Bullets and the whole line up beyond the Raptors in the future. They make great products. These bullets out of the 6.8 will not be for long range but where they excel is in lethality. You can read a lot more about these bullets and the development of them on the accurate reloading website on the big bore forum on the terminal bullet performance thread. I think the Raptor bullet development gets started around page 190 ish. It's a long long thread but informative to the max.Yes they come with 25 tips to keep costs down but you can order more. The tips are lathe turned too but I think will be injection molded in the future to bring costs down again. Yes these are not plinking bullets but premium hunting or defensive bullets with premium results.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ESPEnhanced System ProjectileThese bullets have the same nose profile on either side. Whatever way you load it the other end acts like a boat tail. Load it as a solid or as a hollow point and have the same POI. If you use the tips the BC is higher and you can shoot at farther ranges. What you have here is 7 projectiles. Six blades cutting to the vitals and a base that penetrates deep. The bases have been out penetrating the heaviest of Barnes X bullets in the same caliber.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't see any benefit for these in the 6.8 with all the options we have that are much cheaper, other than for our wall of fame poster, just my 2c
With all due respect that's because you are not familiar with the product or have a closed mind. It's easy to dismiss a product you have no experience with. Im not asking you to buy them but compare the performance with every bullet on the market and imho, field results and test prove these are the most lethal within functional impact velocity (most down to 1,600 FPS) and incredibly accurate. These bullets increase lethality significantly. While I concede they are expensive compared to some bullets they are of high value to those who want lethality and accuracy. Is that not what you want in a bullet? If they were 10 cents a piece would you like them more? Yes they are not plinking bullets. They are the bullets you want with your life on the line, the hunt of a lifetime or you just care about having the best and killing your game quickly. I see you are a proud vet and I thank you for your service. I hope and pray that the boots on the ground get these bullets so they have the best there is. These bullets in the 223 and 308 are nothing short of amazing. We are trying to get these bullets in the hands of some of those serving right now not to mention law enforcement and the other special agencies.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I would love to give these bullets a try on some tough hogs, but the price stops me in my tracks since my current 95gr. TTSX gets the job done effectively. But I do believe they would perform awesome and would make some DRT's of some 250+lb. hogs.

If your ever looking for a field tester I would love to be on your list. Of course I will provide extensive kill pics and dissect the hog to study the damage, which I do with every kill I get. I might try to convince some of my local 68ers to pitch in on the cost and split up the batch for field testing, but that might be difficult since most reloaders are penny pincher including me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please contact Randy Leupold the National Sales Manager and see if he can provide you with some samples.
I would love to give these bullets a try on some tough hogs, but the price stops me in my tracks since my current 95gr. TTSX gets the job done effectively. But I do believe they would perform awesome and would make some DRT's of some 250+lb. hogs. If your ever looking for a field tester I would love to be on your list. Of course I will provide extensive kill pics and dissect the hog to study the damage, which I do with every kill I get. I might try to convince some of my local 68ers to pitch in on the cost and split up the batch for field testing, but that might be difficult since most reloaders are penny pincher including me.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
With all due respect that's because you are not familiar with the product or have a closed mind. It's easy to dismiss a product you have no experience with. Im not asking you to buy them but compare the performance with every bullet on the market and imho, field results and test prove these are the most lethal within functional impact velocity (most down to 1,600 FPS) and incredibly accurate. These bullets increase lethality significantly. While I concede they are expensive compared to some bullets they are of high value to those who want lethality and accuracy. Is that not what you want in a bullet? If they were 10 cents a piece would you like them more? Yes they are not plinking bullets. They are the bullets you want with your life on the line, the hunt of a lifetime or you just care about having the best and killing your game quickly. I see you are a proud vet and I thank you for your service. I hope and pray that the boots on the ground get these bullets so they have the best there is. These bullets in the 223 and 308 are nothing short of amazing. We are trying to get these bullets in the hands of some of those serving right now not to mention law enforcement and the other special agencies.
Send me some and I'll test them out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Send me some and I'll test them out.
I'd love to get your report on them but like I said I'm lobbying to get a lighter bullet with the right protrusion length with tip to fit in the 6.8 mags. These bullets love velocity. There is a pic on the terminal performance thread that shows what a high velocity 40 grain 22 cal did to a deer. Quite impressive. An 80 to 90 grain Raptor @ 2,800 FPS will be quite the killer of deer, hog and human size targets. For an anti personnel bullet I would want nothing else. I'll keep you updated. There has been much testing in the big bore sizes recently. Here is the testing done by Michael on the 9,3 bullets. Here is his post as follows.___________________________________________________________________________________
Originally posted by michael458:I am also busy loading 9.3 B&M 210 ESP Raptors for the trip in a couple of weeks! So I just grabbed two of them out of the loaded ones, took them to the range for a couple of last terminals, just to make sure. Both were tipped with the short tips, and performance was superb! I am very pleased with them and I think they are going to hammer the hell out of whatever I happen to shoot! As long, as I follow the rules of engagement, 225 yards and in--Maximum Shear Range for this bullet, my rifle, this load, starting at 2900 fps!
This will do.Now, I want to show you some test medium and a witness card out of this. Do you recall me speaking about how when the blades are still close to the bullet after they shear, they are working with the bullet to rip and tear tissue, so that it is actually torn, and ripped, therefore more massive trauma, and permanent wound channel for a short distance after penetration of 1.5-2 inches. This seems to work from 2 inches up to 5 inches before the blades have dispersed far enough away from center to become projectiles on their own for another few inches. Captured, a little anyway, here in the wetprint you can see that ripping starting good at 2 inches. The photo of the newsprint is at 4 inches even, and it goes in another inch or so. This is exactly what I have been seeing in animal tissue. Remember the buffalo heart with the big hole through it? This is what is happening when blades are still close to the center with the bullet.
Tissue being elastic, we know that, this is ripped and torn, no more elastic and closing back up for that distance from 2-5 inches or so. Enjoy!Michael

1 - 20 of 118 Posts