6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Didn't mean to have so many post on this subject, They are so spread out in time, they got lost or I did.
And weight is not really a problem but lesser is better for me, I guess my problem is mostly with the manufactures seem to be all over the place with the 308 AR-AR10/LR10 and what ever AR ,,, and just wishing there was a slight standard on aftermarket part and what fits what and who fits who's .... Can't seem to get a straight answer on that from makers or venders..
BUT I am just starting to venture in to this 308 thing and was kind of hoping for insight,
I'll get it; this is my first long action AR or what ever they call it? I'll learn and get;)

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
The problem is that the AR-10 never was a standard. Stoner began with it originally but the cry for lightweight weapons with a bunch of ammunition in the magazines caused him to start over with the AR-15 and nothing official was every established for the AR-10 as I understand. Then in the early days we had parts that were supposed to be the same as the the Armalite stuff on the market and then we had stuff that was considered AR308. That was not too bad-except we had variations as to the height on the rail or such. DPMS seems to be at the source of many of the "problems".

At any rate, Solutions to common .308AR platform problems tried to document the problems and it was a pretty simple situation, Now that board has grown a lot but it still has a lot of info on the subject.

I recall waiting for months and months to receive the MaTen billet receiver set so I could start my build and it was not cheap by just about anyone's opinion. It's still not. It was/is nice tho but there are good, cheaper options out there.

These days, I would probably go with Aero Precision or Palmetto for a set of receivers. The rest is not too bad as long as one does his homework with forearm hand guard heights for the upper receiver selected.

On the first one, I built, I went with a Wilson single stage tactical drop in trigger and it was fairly expensive for the day but it is still one of the nicest drop in triggers that I have ever bought. Usually, if it fits an AR15, it fits the AR10/AR308 when it comes to triggers.

Over all, it is not too bad if you do your research before you buy parts. I have found the gas control system to be one of the things that can be a problem to nail down as the .308 style round can generate a bunch of gas. Some use a heavy bolt to slow things down. Others are horrified by the thought of adding a couple of ounces to the rifle weight. I have found some of the adjustable gas blocks don't pass enuf gas to do the job. Lots of opinions on the subject online and you can find a bunch of them on this forum as I recall LOL

It's really not too hard to build an AR308 once one is aware of the compatibility issues. It is a real pain when it comes to mixing and matching receivers so that is the main issue as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's really not that bad. There are two "patterns" out there: SR-25 and Armarlite AR-10. You need to know which one you are working with and stick within it, and, yes, sometimes the vendor doesn't make it very obvious. You can mix and match some components, primarily the buffer system, but you need to know exactly what you are doing. So, like I said when this originally came up, just stick with one manufacturer for as much as you can and you should be fine. And you can always ask questions here and you're likely to get the answer.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's really not that bad. There are two "patterns" out there: SR-25 and Armarlite AR-10. You need to know which one you are working with and stick within it, and, yes, sometimes the vendor doesn't make it very obvious. You can mix and match some components, primarily the buffer system, but you need to know exactly what you are doing. So, like I said when this originally came up, just stick with one manufacturer for as much as you can and you should be fine. And you can always ask questions here and you're likely to get the answer.
I may build one later on if the 308 fever ever hits again. I have put enough $$ in to this one with purchase and up grades that it's probably close to the same cost. 9.5 Lb's with scop and empty mag, sure makes me love my 68;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have two lr308’s both with 20” semi bull Black hole weaponry barrels. Almost identical builds difference is one is an 80% Juggernaut Tactical lower and the other is a Aero Precision lower. Why you might ask would I build a 2nd almost identical rifle ? Well because the thing is crazy accurate. When I went out to sight the Rifle in at 50 yards I strung my very first five shots of m80 ball. First one was low right corrected and I kept shooting . The next round dead bullseye. Shot the remaining 3 rounds and I did not see any hits on paper nothing. Really stomped me. When I went to check the target you could see. Ever so slightly the rounds were basically going threw the same hole. Most round al weights up to 225 grain HPBT’s shoot sub moa.

Note I did take it out again and shot the m80 ball at 50 yds but the temperature was different I guess and they would clover leaf but never again in the same hole. These rifles weigh in at 12 plus pounds with scopes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I bought the new Ruger 308 SFAR rifle yesterday. 6.8lbs, 4 pos AGB, Magpul furniture and mag, Ruger Elite 2-stage trigger and tank muzzle brake for $1,200 out the door. Its an AR15 with an enlarged magwell and enhanced bolt carrier. I haven't shot it yet but plan to run suppressed. If it fails, Ruger will stand behind it, as always, so I've really not taken any risk. If it pans out, it will be a benchmark for 308 rifles and their builders...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I bought the new Ruger 308 SFAR rifle yesterday. 6.8lbs, 4 pos AGB, Magpul furniture and mag, Ruger Elite 2-stage trigger and tank muzzle brake for $1,200 out the door. Its an AR15 with an enlarged magwell and enhanced bolt carrier. I haven't shot it yet but plan to run suppressed. If it fails, Ruger will stand behind it, as always, so I've really not taken any risk. If it pans out, it will be a benchmark for 308 rifles and their builders...
Post your review, I'm Interested .

21 - 30 of 30 Posts