6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 68’s but I’m kind of getting interested in a 308 in a AR platform, probably and mostly because a few friend have them and some are having troubles with them. I’ve never delt or fooled with the 308 caliber or built an AR-10 or other longer AR type rifles,,, So I’m looking at the Savage MSR 10 Hunter… anyone here know anything about this rifle ???

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
No experience with that particular Savage. Seems to have a decent reputation. The only qualms I'd personally have is that it looks like a proprietary interface for the upper receiver to handguard. The advantage there is that it looks very strong and rigid, but the disadvantage is that you likely won't have any replacement options. Daniel Defense has a similar design.

For the money, the Aero Precision M5 is hard to beat, but I suspect you'd be pleased with that Savage. Savage knows how to make a good barrel.

Yes, assembling you own AR 308 is likely to require a bit more fidgeting to get it running perfectly but this is greatly alleviated if you don't mix & match too much.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The barrel got my attention, it almost sounds like one of AR-Performance barrels, and I agree that it looks proprietary and I'm wondering what other parts may be? Thanks

·
Registered
512 Posts
No experience with that particular Savage. Seems to have a decent reputation. The only qualms I'd personally have is that it looks like a proprietary interface for the upper receiver to handguard. The advantage there is that it looks very strong and rigid, but the disadvantage is that you likely won't have any replacement options. Daniel Defense has a similar design.

For the money, the Aero Precision M5 is hard to beat, but I suspect you'd be pleased with that Savage. Savage knows how to make a good barrel.

Yes, assembling you own AR 308 is likely to require a bit more fidgeting to get it running perfectly but this is greatly alleviated if you don't mix & match too much.
This. Probably the best all around factory built quality / price AR10. Or build your own, not too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also don't have any experience with the Savage, but, I built my own LR-308 in the beginning of 2020. If you opt to build your own there are a few things to be aware of. First of all there are 2 different patterns for lowers, DPMS(LR-308) and Armalite(AR-10). The uppers are different as well. Like BoilerUp said don't mix and match too much and you'll be a lot better off. I opted for the DPMS pattern lower, I got a matched set from Noreen Firearms. Based on my research at the time of my build, the DPMS pattern had more aftermarket support. DPMS was coming out with a Gen II around the time I was building mine, I don't know much about it, but, something else to consider. The gas tubes are slightly different between the DPMS(LR-308) and AR-10 as well; the AR-10 is about an ⅛" shorter than the DPMS. I went with a 24" Xcaliber barrel, +2" gas, with factory ammo shoots .5 moa all day. I didn't go with an ABG, but, something that I would recommend from the start. My LR-308 runs fine right now, but, eventually I'm going to get a can and need the AGB.
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Brickwork Brick Wood Building material Musical instrument

·
Registered
13 Posts
No. There is no such thing as a "small frame 308". The closest thing to that is the DPMS Gen II which is smaller and lighter in several areas than the "standard" SR-25 pattern but still larger than a standard AR-15.
POF makes a smallish frame 308 it's called the revolution

·
Registered
79 Posts
No. There is no such thing as a "small frame 308". The closest thing to that is the DPMS Gen II which is smaller and lighter in several areas than the "standard" SR-25 pattern but still larger than a standard AR-15.
Bad wording on my part, but g2 isn't the only one. Zev, Adam Arms, colt 901, and POF have smaller frames than armalite and aero.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Bad wording on my part, but g2 isn't the only one. Zev, Adam Arms, colt 901, and POF have smaller frames than armalite and aero.
Ah, got it. Yes, if I was looking at a factory gun I'd certainly consider the intermediate (in between the standard small frame and large frame) rifles. The biggest downside there is you get into solidly proprietary rifles which, to me, takes away some of the advantage of the AR platform in the first place (the broad aftermarket support and ability to reconfigure your rifle).

Larue is worth considering for a factory gun, but now you are getting into the $3-4K range.

Personally, I'm a fan of the LMT MARS (MWS) platform but they are a little pricey and hard to get right now. LMT has the best ambidextrous receivers, both small and large frame, on the market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love my 68’s but I’m kind of getting interested in a 308 in a AR platform, probably and mostly because a few friend have them and some are having troubles with them. I’ve never delt or fooled with the 308 caliber or built an AR-10 or other longer AR type rifles,,, So I’m looking at the Savage MSR 10 Hunter… anyone here know anything about this rifle ???
I built an AR10 on Armalite receivers, bcg, 18.5” RCB rifle gas barrel…I love it but that was before POF came out with their light weight 308…a do over would include a POF for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went with the LR-308 DPMS back in 2015. 20" Fulton Armory 1-10 stainless barrel. AR-Gold Trigger, which is in the 3lbs area, and very crisp. This platform is for long range target as the thing weighs in excess of 16 lbs. Spend your money on a good barrel, good trigger and decent glass.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was feeling the same way. I was also looking at the POF revolution. I was able to handle it at the NRA show in Atlanta a few years ago.

Nice rifle. Smaller than most A.R. 10‘s.

However, the reviews are quite mixed. Some were really bad. It seems reviews for accuracy are also hit or miss. I got the feeling the small frame was causing poor harmonics.

So I ended up with a 16 inch 308 Daniel Defense. DD5V3. About 2K used.

It’s perfect. Super accurate… easy sub moa with almost 168g anything.

However, it made me appreciate my 6.8’s even more. The .308 has considerably more recoil than my 6.8’a for follow up shots.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just put together my first LR 308.it was kind of a budget build. I went aero precision recievers, aero adjustable gas block,
18 inch faxon big gunner barrel, VG6 gamma muzzle break, mission first minimalist stock, AR stoner LR308 carbine buffer tube assembly, magpul moe+ grip, AR-stoner bcg and the smoke composites carbon handguard. The handguard was the only expensive part I bought because it saves a good amount of weight. The gun came out to 7 pounds 4 ounces. With the sig buckmasters 3-12 scope and a aero light weight mount it weights 8 pounds 5 ounces. A 16 inch pencil barrel would have saved some weight but I wanted to go 18" and the gunner profile was all i could find. So far I'm happy with it, the only ammo I've shot through it is ppu 149 grain fmj and shoots right around moa. It handles really good and I don't mind a tiny bit of extra weight since it's a 308. The recoil is pretty mild but definitely more then my 6.8. I'm not sure if I'll hunt with it yet, I doubt it'll kill deer any deader then my 6.8 does.

·
Premium Member
18,742 Posts
I was feeling the same way. I was also looking at the POF revolution. I was able to handle it at the NRA show in Atlanta a few years ago.

Nice rifle. Smaller than most A.R. 10‘s.

However, the reviews are quite mixed. Some were really bad. It seems reviews for accuracy are also hit or miss. I got the feeling the small frame was causing poor harmonics.

So I ended up with a 16 inch 308 Daniel Defense. DD5V3. About 2K used.

It’s perfect. Super accurate… easy sub moa with almost 168g anything.

However, it made me appreciate my 6.8’s even more. The .308 has considerably more recoil than my 6.8’a for follow up shots.
I had heard the same about the POFs but wasn't going to say anything.
There are a lot of people out there that hate DPMS but I have never had any regrets using their receivers to build complete rigs on. I have 1 DPMS G2(small frame 308) and wish I had purchased about 3 more. I replaced the barrel with one of mine, it has been reliable and it's lightweight. I hope PSA can turn out parts as good as DPMS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two LR-308s. One is a PSA 20" upper with an adjustable gas block and PSA lower with a Timney trigger. Sub 1 1/2" with Sierra 180gr SP at 100 yards. The second is an Aero Precision upper, bolt carrier, X-Caliber 20" 1-10 HBAR barrel, Rubber City bolt, Midwest free float tube, rifle length gas tube, Fixed front sight base, DPMS A2 flash hider. The second lower is a stripped PSA with Timney Trigger, A2 butt stock, rifle spring and buffer, and lower parts kit. It shoots 10 shots into 1" or better at 100 yards with Nosler Custom Competition 175 gr. Neither is light. But neither is a Garand or an M1A.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered and picked up a 308 last week, and very disappointed so far, When I picked this one up; the store had just got in a six pound Ruger 308 and was putting on the wall,, Not really a ruger fan but 6Lb's,,,,,,,,,,, Dang....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts