6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hog and Coyote problems,, I've been looking at and studying IR night vision scopes vs Thermal scopes for a year or so. The cost of thermal seems a lot higher but I think the thermal will be better for my need and want, I'm looking hard at the lower coast of the ATN Thor 4 - 1.25X5 but seeing reviews all over the place from different stores, vendors and youtuber's
Can anyone here give their own exspearance with the Thor 4 / 385??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Todd Huey with Lone Star Board has a YouTube video and talks about the ATN Thor Scopes. He had absolutely zero good comments about them.
Pulsar seems to be the way to go, but they aren't the cheapest. I don't have digital but I have the NV455. I havn't had a chance to try it out, but it seems to be a quality piece of gear. It's on a Bobro QD mount and I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on a Larue QD mount so I can swap between night and day use. I may put one of the larger scopes with more magnification and bigger objective. Havn't decided yet. I have a friend with the Trail 38 thermal and loves it. Like everything else, you will get what you pay for.

Flir has stopped selling commercially. There is another line made by FLIR but I can't recall the name.
Personally, I think the thermal is better for finding targets but I would prefer the NV for resolution and being able to see a good target. With the thermal you are shooting at a blob of light. JMHO.. You'll get pros and cons for both types.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess if was my job or was in the business like Mr. Huey I would spend the bucks for the best their is too, what a fun job that must be,, I'm still looking around and shopping for something that's closer to my budget,, good review and some pretty cool stuff out there,,, Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess if was my job or was in the business like Mr. Huey I would spend the bucks for the best their is too, what a fun job that must be,, I'm still looking around and shopping for something that's closer to my budget,, good review and some pretty cool stuff out there,,, Thanks
Todd Huey with Lone Star Board has a YouTube video and talks about the ATN Thor Scopes. He had absolutely zero good comments about them.
Pulsar seems to be the way to go, but they aren't the cheapest. I don't have digital but I have the NV455. I havn't had a chance to try it out, but it seems to be a quality piece of gear. It's on a Bobro QD mount and I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on a Larue QD mount so I can swap between night and day use. I may put one of the larger scopes with more magnification and bigger objective. Havn't decided yet. I have a friend with the Trail 38 thermal and loves it. Like everything else, you will get what you pay for.

Flir has stopped selling commercially. There is another line made by FLIR but I can't recall the name.
Personally, I think the thermal is better for finding targets but I would prefer the NV for resolution and being able to see a good target. With the thermal you are shooting at a blob of light. JMHO.. You'll get pros and cons for both types.
Hurry up and try the NV455 out and give us your review ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I too wanted an nice thermal (still do), but as infrequently as I'm usually able to get out and hunt, I couldn't really justify a $5000 optic. I ended up trying an ATN X-Sight 4K 3-15x digital nightvision scope, and it's worked well so far. I use it with a QD mount so I can switch scopes for night/day use, because the "day" clarity is awful compared to traditional glass, but the NV is adequate as long as you're using a good IR illuminator. The one it comes with is ok, but I already had an Elusive Wildlife XLR500, so I just bought an IR LED for that.

A neat thing about the digital NV and IR light combo is that a hog's eyes will shine under IR light, which can make them easier to spot. "Shootable clarity" is good to about 200yds, if you don't have much to block/reflect the IR light back at you between you and the target.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too wanted an nice thermal (still do), but as infrequently as I'm usually able to get out and hunt, I couldn't really justify a $5000 optic. I ended up trying an ATN X-Sight 4K 3-15x digital nightvision scope, and it's worked well so far. I use it with a QD mount so I can switch scopes for night/day use, because the "day" clarity is awful compared to traditional glass, but the NV is adequate as long as you're using a good IR illuminator. The one it comes with is ok, but I already had an Elusive Wildlife XLR500, so I just bought an IR LED for that.

A neat thing about the digital NV and IR light combo is that a hog's eyes will shine under IR light, which can make them easier to spot. "Shootable clarity" is good to about 200yds, if you don't have much to block/reflect the IR light back at you between you and the target.
Yea, that's more in my budget range. I't would probably never leave my property, just looking to keep the hogs out of my deer patch and coyote away from the house.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure hate the thought of spending $800/$2000 on something that's going to give me trouble or only last for a short couple of years,, like I said the reviews are all over the place on ATN, looks like about 50/50

·
Registered
56 Posts
You might try the Sightmark Wraith. I got one just before Christmas for less than $500 and it has been great on hogs. They are supposed to have a new one out by the fall, but may not make it because of the virus.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Do you like it better than just using the scope and light? I have a light that I had built that is comparable to the 500 (has a little bit longer throw and 300 yards is no problem with the green and the white could go even further but I don't shoot past that distance. 200 yards is the longest shot I've taken at night using one of the old 250's with white light. I actually haven't had a problem spooking pigs with the white at all but am careful how bring the light down to them. Just wondering. I was thinking it would be nice to not have to worry about spooking them though. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I started out with a red flood light and Accupoint scope buy 1/2 the time the hogs would run when the light shined on them. I switched to an ATN-X 4K two years ago. It has been doing great. Its not all perfect. Here is a link to the details of how I have used it and adjustments I made to improve its use in the field.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you like it better than just using the scope and light? I have a light that I had built that is comparable to the 500 (has a little bit longer throw and 300 yards is no problem with the green and the white could go even further but I don't shoot past that distance. 200 yards is the longest shot I've taken at night using one of the old 250's with white light. I actually haven't had a problem spooking pigs with the white at all but am careful how bring the light down to them. Just wondering. I was thinking it would be nice to not have to worry about spooking them though. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Yes, for me there is no comparison-- digital NV wins, hands down. Every precaution you have to take when using a visible light goes away with IR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts