6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
If you go with the Hornady's Iron Press, suggest purchasing extra Priming Cups and the SSPF Cap (part number 399610 on the Auto Priming System). The SSPF Cap easily breaks since made of pot metal. I broke two during the time I had my Iron Press. Also, the Primer Cups are easily damaged in either the large or small primer cup. I can't remember which one but could be both. Hornady will replace those parts for free, but you'll have to wait for them to be mailed to you.

Also, a couple of other negatives I noticed about the Iron Press. The spent primer collection cup misses a lot of primers when primers are pushed out of the brass. Poor design IMO. And be carefully dropping a tube of primers down the Auto Priming tube. Primers would would either stick in my pickup tube or hang at the plastic fitting at the top of the Auto Priming tube when I pulled the pin to drop the primers. Spilled more than a couple of tubes of primers when using the Iron Press.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you go with the Hornady's Iron Press, suggest purchasing extra Priming Cups and the SSPF Cap (part number 399610 on the Auto Priming System). The SSPF Cap easily breaks since made of pot metal. I broke two during the time I had my Iron Press. Also, the Primer Cups are easily damaged in either the large or small primer cup. I can't remember which one but could be both. Hornady will replace those parts for free, but you'll have to wait for them to be mailed to you.

Also, a couple of other negatives I noticed about the Iron Press. The spent primer collection cup misses a lot of primers when primers are pushed out of the brass. Poor design IMO. And be carefully dropping a tube of primers down the Auto Priming tube. Primers would would either stick in my pickup tube or hang at the plastic fitting at the top of the Auto Priming tube when I pulled the pin to drop the primers. Spilled more than a couple of tubes of primers when using the Iron Press.
Thanks Ed308. The auto prime system was the frustrating thing about the AP for me. If I get the Iron Press I’ll start with the manual prime model. I really didn’t have any complaints with the Classic, I thought maybe the Iron Press might be an upgrade.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Definitely an upgrade to the Classic. The Auto Prime is a nice feature that really speeds up a boring task. It pumps out quality ammo. But since a single stage, just not as fast as I like which is why I sold mine.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
BTW..., MIdway and Graffs has the Co-Ax press in stock.

I guess if you're going to keep a single stage press on your bench, the Co-Ax would be the one to have. I've never owned a Co-Ax press. But everything I've read about it has been nothing but positive and people swear by them. The Co-Ax press would retain more of it's value compared to the Hornady Iron Press. Probably similar to a Dillon (70-80%).

I came close to buying a Co-Ax for loading precision rifle cartridges but decided on Dillon 550 instead. It works great for me since I wanted more speed. I use my 550 similar to a single stage. After prepping and resizing the brass, I'm pulling the handle once instead of 3 to 4 times for each loaded round. So instead of pulling the handle 300-400 times for 100 rounds, I'm priming the brass, dropping the powder (manually via a funnel on the press), seating a bullet and then crimping the bullet (if desired) all with one pull on the handle. Haven't had much of chance to judge accuracy on all the calibers I reload due to limit range time this year. But I like it so far and the loads seem to be just as accurate as what I produced on a single stage press.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks again folks, tough decision, had to buy some glass for my build project, press has got to wait a little while longer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll vote for the Rockchucker because it's what I use, all I've used since I began reloading what, 3 or 4 years ago and It has produced ammo good enough for .21" groups in my Mk12 clone. Having said that, and being very happy I chose the rockchucker, I'll admit to being on the lookout for a Redding T7 turret press. I know someone on here has one listed but I cant grab their attention it seems.
The Rockchucker is a solid choice if you're looking for that first, and maybe last, press. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an abundance of presses, 5 metallic ammo and three shotgun presses.

I started on a reloader special 3 and used it enough it now has lots of slop after about 35 years. My second press is a Dillon 550b.

I bought a Redding big boss 2 new and just started using it but also picked up a used rock chucker and a lightly used Forster co-ax.

The co-ax is very slick but I still use a regular single stage for depriming and the odd bullet pulling with a Forster collet type puller. Both are better suited to me on a O style press and certainly not the Dillon.

The Dillon sits on a Dillon mount. I have an in-line brand mount with bases for the co-ax, the big boss and my heated lead bullet luber.

You will be happy with any of the co-ax, big boss or rock chucker. Big boss and the co-ax handle spent primers well.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Getting close to panic mode buying here on the Big Island. Gunshop sold their last Iron Press kit and would special order. Good thing for Amazon Prime, out of the kits, ordered the IP manual prime, auto prime upgrade, micro-adjust seating stem. Ordered the Trim-It 2 trimmer with 6.8 and 6.5 Creedmoor cutting dies from Black Widow Shooting Supplies. I still need more tools, but getting much closer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I been loading on a RCBS Rockchucker and I wouldn't change it. I recently put Inline Fabrication mount and roller handle to raise it while sitting. It made a world of difference. Progressive presses goes to Dillon IMHO

21 - 33 of 33 Posts