6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had both the LNL AP and single stage Classic. In the market for a press again. I’m leaning toward the Hornady Iron Press. Anyone out there use that press? Your likes/dislikes... thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I really like my rock chucker, but I had a Lee classic as well and that's hard to beat for the money.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Bonaza (Forester) single stage and a Redding turret press. I like them both. I really like being able to set up my dies and not having to make many adjustments on the Redding. I have two turrets that I can change back and forth. I have 10mm and 45acp on one turret and 6.8spc and 6.5CM set up on another.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man, I've got a Rock Chucker Supreme kit that was given to me many years ago.

I'd someday like to upgrade myself, but this press with plain 'ol RCBS dies (the 40 dollar sets) produces legitimate 1/2 MOA ammunition in a couple of my rifles. I see no reason to spend the coin on the upgrade right now (or the last 10 years) because of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Man, I've got a Rock Chucker Supreme kit that was given to me many years ago.

I'd someday like to upgrade myself, but this press with plain 'ol RCBS dies (the 40 dollar sets) produces legitimate 1/2 MOA ammunition in a couple of my rifles. I see no reason to spend the coin on the upgrade right now (or the last 10 years) because of it.
Been looking at the Forester press for 3 years now but my RCBS just keeps on giving me great results.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Crzy_mike, my Rockchucker is still soldiering on, my brother and two nephews use it now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gavintoobe ultimate reloader channel on You tube did a great review of fourteen presses. He loaded ammo on each of them and then tested the ammo for runout. I don't remember if a Hornady press was tested but it was a very interesting vid, worth the time to watch. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Myself, I'm not convinced that just the press is the one major factor in runout(Gavintoobe never said it was) but I will say a sloppy press will be harder to produce good straight loads on. I bought a RCBS Summit press to replace my aging Rockchucker based on his review; quite happy with it even though it works "backwards" from my old chucker.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gavintoobe ultimate reloader channel on You tube did a great review of fourteen presses. He loaded ammo on each of them and then tested the ammo for runout. I don't remember if a Hornady press was tested but it was a very interesting vid, worth the time to watch. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Myself, I'm not convinced that just the press is the one major factor in runout(Gavintoobe never said it was) but I will say a sloppy press will be harder to produce good straight loads on. I bought a RCBS Summit press to replace my aging Rockchucker based on his review; quite happy with it even though it works "backwards" from my old chucker.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM
i watched his single stage press review, good stuff. The Iron Press was included in his review. I like his channel, he seemed to think favorably of the IP, had good things to say about all the products. I started reloading on the Hornady presses, I like their products and price point. Would like to try a Forester, probably go with the Hornady.
Thanks all for your input.
No Iron Press owners out there...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am so into RCBS that I bleed green. When it was time to upgrade, I bought a RC Supreme. I used it for a while & was disappointed they hadn't provided a reliable spent primer catching feature. I dumped it while it was still new to try & recoup most of my money. I bought a MEC Marksman & I'm very happy with it. It's an excellent press in all respects except for no onboard priming feature. I always prime separately so not a problem for me.

BTW: I hear the very newest Rockchucker finally got a hollow ram & now can now keep spent primers off the floor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No Iron Press owners out there...
Yeah I'm big into green also, mostly RCBS and some Redding. Both great companies with good products and outstanding customer service. I do love me some Hornady bullets though and expect a Hornady case comparator set for this birthday.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I had a Hornady Iron Press for three to four years. Recently sold it and bought a Dillon 550. I use my 550 like a single stage press by manually dropping the powder. Much faster than the Iron press so I spend less time reloading. The priming system on the Iron press has some cheap parts that break. The Dillon 550 is a better press IMO. The Hornady Iron Press also has less resale value. My 550 produces ammo thats as accurate as ammo I've produces on the Iron Press, RCBS Rock Chucker and a Hornady Classic Single Stage. More money, but way faster.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a MEC Marksman a couple of years ago to go along with my RCBS jr press I bought second hand 38 years ago. I really like it. Lots of good presses on the market right and it would be hard to go wrong with any of them I think.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also just rescently got the mec marksmen, very smooth press and $189 from brownells ain't too bad especially if you catch their free shipping as well.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good reading folks, really want a Forster CoAx, out of stock everywhere I’ve looked. I had good results with the Classic probably settle on the Iron Press if the CoAx remains out of stock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good reading folks, really want a Forster CoAx, out of stock everywhere I’ve looked. I had good results with the Classic probably settle on the Iron Press if the CoAx remains out of stock.
Did you try ordering from Forster directly?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you try ordering from Forster directly?
I went to the Forster site last night, not in stock and at 528, the Iron Press is looking like the one for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts