6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at my BC to check the staking that was done by the people at Rock River. To me, it looks like they half assed it. All they did was put a slight nick in the key, there was absolutely no metal hanging over the screws to keep them from coming loose. I have never staked a key before, but I don't know anyone to do it for me. I pretty much know how it is done and have an idea of how it should look if done properly. I have fired about 400 rounds though the gun, so I was wondering would it be best to check the screws with a hex key before staking. Also, could someone please let me know what would be the best tool to use and give me a few instructions on how to secure the carrier before I get started.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I know Denny's Guns GTS and ADCO can stake it properly for you and it only costs a few bucks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably have to do something like that. Do you know how long it takes to do something like that. I really don't want to be without my gun for too long.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
buckNrut said:
I will probably have to do something like that. Do you know how long it takes to do something like that. I really don't want to be without my gun for too long.
A couple of days. I'd call them up first and speak with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe Brownells sells a gas key staking tool that would cost you less, and without the wait, than then shipping if you like doing things yourself. I'm always curious about the whole staking thing. I have 4 years of machining back ground and was always taught that you stake or peen in the direction of tightening. Yet the proper way to stake a gas key fasteners is straight across with no direction towards tightening? Just always wondered about that. I have done my own staking on a couple of BCs with a punch in the direction of tightening (clockwise), and after thousands of rounds they have never come loose. You could go that route if you're comfortable just make sure to dress up the metal with a extra fine file when you done to avoid any possible contact with you upper.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
A local gunsmith could do it while you wait? It's very easy if you have the tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts