My name is Dave and I am very new to the AR-15 community. I want to build one myself, but I really need to soak up some wisdom first and I figured this is the best place!
...So here come the questions!
1. The Barrett M468 first got me interested in the 6.8mm caliber, and I began looking for complete rifles. This is when the POF P-415 (http://www.pof-usa.com/6-8np3/P-415-14- ... LENGTH.htm
) really caught my attention. POF claims to have a newly-designed system that requires no lube and only basic cleaning with a dry cloth after each firing session. Here is some additional info if you are unfamiliar with what I'm referring to:
<-- The first page of this one says it all
So then my first question is this: Is this for real? I can cycle thousands of rounds through this gun and only clean the barrel after each range session?
2. Next question: Is this hefty price tag for the POF upper ($1475.00) worth it?
3. If I choose the POF upper, should I just get the complete rifle package?
4. If I choose the POF upper, can I switch out the muzzle break for a PWS FSC30, or is it permanently attached?
5. I hear a lot of people talking about AR Performance Xtreme uppers.. Looks like a great deal, but the price almost seems too good to be true... The upper comes with the 16" chrome-lined 11.25 twist barrel with 5R rifling, right?
6. I'm in Colorado Springs and I see that AR Performance has an address in Pueblo West. Is there a storefront or showroom I could visit and get my hands on one?
Now some more general questions:
1. Do I have to get a lower receiver that says "6.8" on the side? I thought the .223 lower was exactly the same as the 6.8 lower, right?
2. If there isn't a difference, then I should just be able to put the POF or Xtreme upper on any lower and it should work just fine, right?
3. I've seen a lot of different brands of lower receivers and they all look exactly the same to me (I realize that many of them are made by the same company). What makes one lower different from the next? (and are there any for sale that I don't have to wait 14 weeks for?)
4. I would kind of like to have a left-side charging handle instead of the traditional charging handle that pulls straight back into your face.. Is this something I can change later, or do I need to buy a special upper receiver to accommodate it? If so, who makes them?
Okay, I think that's all I have for now... :wink: This is a great opportunity for all of you to share your advice, opinions, and ideas with someone who is new to the AR-15 world, so please, don't hold back! Thank you all in advance!
(Btw if you were wondering about my name, even though I am currently in Colorado, I used to live in Michigan and I am very loyal to such a fine state for hunting!