6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah I'm a little nervous. I just got into the 6.8 and I'm having trouble finding ammo and or components to load my own.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yeah I'm a little nervous. I just got into the 6.8 and I'm having trouble finding ammo and or components to load my own.
Try reading posts on here . Several people have shared links recently about ammo . Try googling 6.8 .... Lee dies are on sale at several locations . Google S&B ammo for sale and get great brass with your factory loads . Contact cavity back bullets for great hunting loads

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depending on purpose. I have 6.8 SPC, 5.56 (just built) and a 10mm AR. I can get 5.56 and 10mm ammo, though I reload so its not a big deal for me. I setup for versatility. I can use small rifle primers in all 3, I can in a pinch use the same powder in my 6.8 and 5.56, while i have pistol powder for my 10mm.
Where do you find small primer 10mm brass? I’ve shot 10mm for a long time and have never seen small pocket brass. Is this something new and confusing like they’ve done with the 45? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Where do you find small primer 10mm brass? I’ve shot 10mm for a long time and have never seen small pocket brass. Is this something new and confusing like they’ve done with the 45? Thanks.
Blazers 10mm brass is small primer, a couple other are now as well

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Really? Ok. Personally, having to sort 45 brass by primer size is the bane of my existence. I’m glad I don’t have to do it with 10mm.
Yeah it was an experience when I found that out, as every loading manual says 10mm is large, but smalls work and I can change small pistol with small rifle in a pinch. I did a write up about it in the reloading section. As with any reloading do so at your own risk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The cost of 6.8 spc ammo is high…when I can find it. I could basically get .308 win for the same price. It got me to thinking, considering the current national/economical trend, should 6.8 spc ammo dry up, my 6.8 spc AR’s would be useless.
If there was not the 6.8 spc and rifles to shoot it, what would be your 6.8 spc replacement round/rifle? I had 7.62x39 AK’s before the 6.8 spc came around, so I’d probably just have stuck with them. But I’m curious to hear what other 6.8 fans would have went with or stayed with had the 6.8 spc not come around.
I just ordered a 300 Ham'r barrel from Wilson Combat. They always seem to have ammo available. You can use 30 round, 300 Blackout magazines, and the standard .223/5.56 bolt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a pretty big fan of my 7.62x39 PWS upper on a Franklin Armory lower, when I'm not running my LWRC razorback. Ammo is cheaper than 6.8 and easier to get. I know there's cheapish 6.8 fmj's out there, but I found some HP 7.62x39 for a good price and stocked up. I do have everything to reload all calibers I run, but I work on the road and don't have a whole lot of time because of work.

I'm a really big fan of getting different caliber uppers to slap on the AR15 lower.

·
Registered
104 Posts
D is always my fallback plan :unsure:

Thanks, I have a about a pound and a half of H335 and 1lb of CFE223 and H233 but no bullets.
Keep looking at your local stores the bigger ones are getting some projectiles in from time to time midway and mid south has had some hit and miss. I got some from Speer a couple years ago 90gr.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I purchased over 25,000 pulled and primed cases when they were cheap. Also bought 1,000 rounds of XM68GD everytime Palmetto ran a sale and have around 12,000 rounds of it left. At present have about 50,000 cases that are unfired once fired, a other 15,000 getting a few loadings on them and 20,000ish loaded rounds in locker. That said most of my range timeshare 5.56 as have much more and uses less powder to load till prices come down.

Can cast, swage or pull from case after case of factory projectiles. In past month have purchased 1,800 Hornandy 115 grain HPBTs at a deal. My rule is have minimum of 15 years components in stock. Every AR type rifle added to inventory add 1,000 rounds just for it to be stored. Like I have two 1,000 gallon tanks of propane at home, 1,000 gallons at work, 500 gallon tank of 92 octane ethanol free gasoline at each plus 250 gallon tank of diesel at each.

Following Katrina while others waited for fuel my trucks rolled. If natural gas quits convert my heat and hot water to propane. If ammo runs out have enough brass to last, lead to swage/cast, powder in four locations plus have my primerrepacking up to 99.6% reliability. Have punch to make new primer cups as have to be retired after a cycle or two and enough chemicals if mixed it all atone time and had accident national news would think earth had been hit by meteorite. Have ability to reload rimfire and all I need to shoot an average of 500 rounds per week mixed ammo till death if live to 100.

Won't run out of food or toilet paper, never understood people who had to stop and buy ammo on way to range. In 1999 with worries about Y2K supply issues purchased a 55,000 round pallet of IMI 5.56 M855, 40,000 round pallet of 7.62 M80 and pallet with 80,000 roundsof mixed handgun ammo plus components. Still have most of that and loading primers with $12.95 to $19.99 (CCI military) at this point. Had it not been for Sandy Hook might still be using $9.99 per 1,000 primers. Hoard, if buy hungry guns hoard more. If have several trucks have at least a few months fuel. Then when in doubt know how to make what you need.

Reactions: mtcur3

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the best alternative cartridge to the 6.8 SPC as far as performance and purpose is the 300 HAM'R; both run in an AR-15 platform and put out similar energy. Both are characteristically accurate cartridges, both work great in shorter barrels, both work very well on Whitetail and hogs.

That's the way I've gone and I really love the cartridge. Bought into HAM'R as a curiosity not a replacement.
I load most all of the ammo I shoot. There are more advantages for the handloader; components are very easy to get because of the ability to convert 5.56/.223 Rem. casings (or what your friends and strangers call "trash") to 300 HAM'R, proper .308 projectiles are easy to get even now.
It's mostly a handloader cartridge. However, it's also the flavor of the week (or last week?) and loaded ammo is made by 11 manufactures and counting; and it's even in stock.

If you don't reload, get a 7.62x39 and you'll not have to worry about ammo. Despite what's frequently said they can be accurate with quality modern ammo, especially handloads with nice .308 cal. bullets.

·
Registered
672 Posts
7.62x39 is a fine little round for what it does in rifles designed for it. While have sold over two dozen preban AKs bought for $129 with 600 round can of corrosive steel core ammo and two spare mags back when could still get them in the local mall. SKSs were $79 with 600 rounds and SKS-Ms were $99 with ammo. Stacked them so deep took four panics to sell all but a few AKs, pair of SKS-Ms but have a pile of SKSs to burn the big pile of x39 ammo.

Wife and I each keep a pair of SKSs modified with tuned Tapco triggers, tritium sights, extended butt pad and 20 round box mags. Can carry huge amount of ammo on strippers compared to weight of loaded mags. They are our fence line defense rifles that own 100 yards even using 160 grain cast handloads. If build an x39 AR (makes it a more accurate x39 lobber) use lowers that accept AK mags instead of modified AR mags as saves many issues.

Have built at least two ARs in each of a dozen plus cartridges. My favorite AR cartridges are 6.8 spc II, 5.56 (just too much ammo & parts available to place lower in order though prefer others), 6mm×45 (single step to convert 5.56 brass, can be reversed & easier bullet to make cast fly or swage bullets using 22 Mag cases for jackets), 22 Nosler (hungry bugger, eats powder but uses 5.56 bolt face & reaches out tills smoke barrel, have spares), 458 SOCOM (the last word for subsonic AR15s, easy to cast for but have to dig deep to stock brass). There are several cartridges could reccomend but after building 5.7×28s, 20 Practicals, 204 Rugers, variety of 224, 243, 6mm, 6.5 (Grendel is my least favorite), 257s, 6.8/277s, 7mm/284s, 308/312s, 357s, 375s, 401s up to 458s have thinned the fleet of variety.

In AR 15s have two dozenish 6.8s, same in 5.56 shooters plus dozenish collectibles, eight to ten 22 Noslers, half dozen 458 SOCOMs pair of 6mmx45s with more barrels and a few odd wildcats plus some of the odd Olympics in 300 OSM and SAUM cartridges. In AR 10s prefer 6.5 Creed, 308, 338 Federal but have 7m.-08s, a couple of wildcats and pair of 32" 6XCs that shoot sub MOA at 1,000 to 1,200 yards but carry little energy on target. That said they fling 115 grain DTACs in manner 600 yard coyote and ground hogs only live if.the operator misses his dope or pulls the shot (with me it's generally pushing the shot from too little pressure on the trigger). The idea of finding a cartridge that's not been tried is well beyond most and if it works already has a following. Give me a selection of.6.8s with a few 5.56 rifles, a couple 458s for subsonic work plus spare parts then a couple AR 10s in 6.5 Creedmore plus 308 barrels in case 6.5 ammo gets rare and your done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
First, in case it hasn't been mentioned yet (didn't read every post)
Best Ammo for Finding Ammunition 2022 - Guns Mags Reloading
Shop around

Second, I'm shooting more for precision than speed nowadays (with all my guns), so price per round isn't as much if an issue as it's all lasting longer.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If your shooting for precision that does not totally break the bank, an AR10 in 6XC is a realistic 1,200 yard rifle. Yes, many will say 308 will reach but the dope is significantly different. U.S. military using the Army Shooting Team, combat snipers down through unit SDMs has determined 6.5 Creed is 40% more likely to hook up out to 1,000 yards than a 308. 6XC takes it another magnitude or three, built one and could not hardly wait for second barrel to be made while saved my pennies to top it with a March 5-50x scope.

If want to spend large on a repeater then step past the AR10 up to a Noreen BN-36 chassis and build it in 280 Ackley Improved. A pair is on my wish list and will have once I have appropriate scopes in the parts locker and turn bolt projects finished. Nothing I hate more than a premium finished rifle with underpriced and underpowered glass on top. AR15s only have so much room and about every combination has been tried.

If I wanted to milk an AR15 for all the accuracy possible would probably use 6mm×6.8 SPC as my starting point. Can use mostly 6.8 parts except having someone like White Oak or Compass Lake spin you a barrel from premium single point cut rifling blank. If someone knows a better option please weigh in as have this on list as project to pursue when the smith finishes custom turn bolts have ordered and build at least one BN-36. Bolt rifles have ordered are 6XC, 6.5 Creed and 280 AI to pair with existing AR10s and the upcoming BN-36s.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The cost of 6.8 spc ammo is high…when I can find it. I could basically get .308 win for the same price. It got me to thinking, considering the current national/economical trend, should 6.8 spc ammo dry up, my 6.8 spc AR’s would be useless.
If there was not the 6.8 spc and rifles to shoot it, what would be your 6.8 spc replacement round/rifle? I had 7.62x39 AK’s before the 6.8 spc came around, so I’d probably just have stuck with them. But I’m curious to hear what other 6.8 fans would have went with or stayed with had the 6.8 spc not come around.
I went with a 223 Wylde 18in upper from Palmetto. Initially I just swapped it with my 6.8 upper, but then set up a lower just for it. The rifle length gas system is real gentle on the shoulder. I experimented with some commercial stuff, and it like the 55gr white box, but really shined with the Frontier 75gr 5.56. Very consistently into an inch to an inch and a half at a hundred yards. This is very satisfactory for cheaper 75gr ammo. The drop out to 500 yards is very close to white box 5.56 55gr, which it happens the Leupold 3-9 scope is calibrated for. Of course the dial is calibrated in milliradians, too. With the 75gr ammo it's my 600yd AR. How much damage it will do at that range, I don't really know, yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh, I should mention I've got a small stockpile of 6.8 ammo, and a fair amount of reloading components, so I'm not directly concerned with the price of 6.8, although some of the prices are alarming. I got a bunch of the 6.8 90gr white box when it was cheap. It turned out to be superbly accurate, and an excellent whitetail round. Past 200 yards the 110gr Accubond with 28.6gr of Accurate 2200 has better ballistics, but whitetail are usually bagged in the woods at less that 100 yards in my experience.

·
Registered
485 Posts
OP, great question and the responses from the members all make sense for each individual based on their current supply and abilities. I don’t reload myself and don’t plan on getting into it. Outside of the 6.8, I believe the 5.56 (.223) and the 7.62 (.308) are going to give you the best ammo availability. Unless you are a commie and want to shoot x39 which is widely available. .223 Wylde with some length on the barrel is probably a good option with some of the heavier bullets. While I love the .308 in an AR10 platform, it’s really a big heavy rifle. I recently got .308 bolt gun for that reason to add as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Google: laxammunition.com
Winchester is filling in the gap and should have 6.8 available to the general public pretty soon. It's already at some venders. Google is your friend! :)

I have plenty of 6.8 SPC ammo purchased in the last 30 days as well as reloading components to easily get to 1K!

Smiles,

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
7.62x39 is a fine little round for what it does in rifles designed for it. While have sold over two dozen preban AKs bought for $129 with 600 round can of corrosive steel core ammo and two spare mags back when could still get them in the local mall. SKSs were $79 with 600 rounds and SKS-Ms were $99 with ammo. Stacked them so deep took four panics to sell all but a few AKs, pair of SKS-Ms but have a pile of SKSs to burn the big pile of x39 ammo.

Wife and I each keep a pair of SKSs modified with tuned Tapco triggers, tritium sights, extended butt pad and 20 round box mags. Can carry huge amount of ammo on strippers compared to weight of loaded mags. They are our fence line defense rifles that own 100 yards even using 160 grain cast handloads. If build an x39 AR (makes it a more accurate x39 lobber) use lowers that accept AK mags instead of modified AR mags as saves many issues.....
They (duramag) pretty much have the mag stuff figured out now. Once they started curving the body for the tapered case it seems to have fixed the feeding issues. Though if you already have AKs, i agree get the AK mag lower.

Hard to beat moa with wolf and tula ammo in an AR hunting round.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts