6.8 SPC Forums banner

ideas on a tacticle scope that is good for hunting

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ccoker 
#1 ·
I am looking for a reasonably priced tactile scope, but the rifle will be mainly used for deer hunting. I will be mounting it on a 16" 6.8

any ideas or recommendations appreciate

thank you

#2 ·
Assuming use on an AR15, it all depends on the likely engagement distance for your hunting needs...

For primarily 0-200, an Aimpoint T1 or M3 on a LaRue mount with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier on a LaRue LT649 is a good option.

For primarily 100-300, a mid-range optic like a Leup 1.5-5x, a Trijicon 1.25-4x, a NF 1-4x, or S&B 1.1-4x on a LaRue mount is a good way to go.

For primarily longer ranges 300-500+, then something like a Leup 2.5-8x or Leup 3.5-10x, NF 2.5-10x or NF 3-15x, or a S&B 3-12x or S&B 4-16x in a LaRue mount are more appropriate.

#5 ·
T1 and 3x is about 900 or so, an expensive option, just quick check at Midway Usa, anyone know of any better deals on this seutp? Want to put on my Recon maybe?

#4 ·
Scope

I tried to think this one through pretty well and came up with a Trigicon 1.25 to 4 withan illuminated reticle. It's a little pricey at 650.00 however it suits both of my primary purposes. I wanted somethinhg well suited for out to 200 as well as something I could use around the house if unfortunately that ever became necessary.

Also if anyone is interested PRO MAG has got 20rd mags at a reasonable price. I have two new ones and they function well in my Ruger Mini! They actually hold 22 rounds instead of the advertized 20 asw well.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for the posts

looking for out to about 200 yards but up close if need be as well. Would like it for home defense if needed. I live in South Carolina, so the yardage is not that far. We just don't have wide open spaces

thank you for the input

#10 ·
+1 on the Millet DMS. I hunt in deer woods that often require a quick shot at dawn or dusk. I had an ACOG that i sold with another rifle and for my purposes the illuminated doughnut on the millet is perfect for less than $250!

#12 ·
So far, I really like the Millett DMS. I haven't had the chance to use it for hunting yet, but I imagine it will be a very quality optic for hunting. I have mine setup with a Larue spr-e mount, the entire setup ran me about $440 or so.

Has worked great for some of the comp. shooting I have done so far.

#13 ·
Another little scope that's worked well for close range deer and coyotes is the Weaver V3, 1 X 3.
It's nothing fancy but it's clear and holds zero well.
I liked it so much I now use one on both my 5.56 and 6.8.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have tried a BUNCH of scopes, ACOGs, aimpoints with magnifiers, etc..
I have finally after a year of experimenting settled on the Trijicon Tr24 1-4 german #4 with the green dot

I personally have found that scopes with "tactical" reticles are more distracting than helpful for hunting
too bright even on the lowest settings and just too much

the TR24 is I think the perfect scope for a 16" 6.8 for hunting 0-200 yards

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2386/reconcoker.jpg

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.