6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Won a 17hmr Henry Golden Boy lever action rifle at the CCA Banquet in Tomball lastnight... I know nothing about this round. I looked a little bit last night, it appears that it's a "super .22". More than twice as fast, more energy, much more accurate?

I'm trying to decide if this is a rifle I want to keep or sell.

It was kind of funny, because it was the last raffle being called for the guns, and I was looking at the rifle and I was like: .17? I have a pellet gun that's .177, is it like a pellet gun? And I made a face like: ew.

And my cousin was shaking his head, then they called my name and he said: yeah! It's just a pellet gun, you don't want that, give it to me!

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
I'd keep it. Great for varmints... and, it's a Henry Lever, so it's automatically got Cool-Factor built into it. :a31: Congrats

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Yea, pretty hot little round. 22mag necked down to 17.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Henry Golden Boy is a fantastic little rifle and the 17HMR is a blast for vermin and plinking.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It is a very accurate round and a blast to shoot. Gophers explode when ya hit em. I would love to take it turkey shooting but it's not approved. Head shots would be easy. Used to headshot jackrabbits years ago with a 22mag. Coyote's would be another wish if I could call em in close enough..

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Lucky Dawg! Congrats! I have a Savage bolt action in 17HMR and it is a tack driver and a serious squirrel killer. I would love to get my paws on that lever action

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nice, keep it I love Henry's. I don't know much about the 17HMR round but an old friend built 2 rifles on Winchester highwall actions in a 17 cal. They were 22K hornet's necked down to 17cal. Very accurate, flat and super fast. Ground hogs would explode at 2-300 yds. A month before he died he gave me the 22K hornet lowwall he built to form brass for them. The lowwall was built from odd parts he picked up. it didn't have an extractor you had a brass rod to extract spent brass. I sent the action in and had an extractor fitted and the bull barrel turned to cover some of the sight screw holes, they filled and or covered some with the forearm. I mounted a new scope but left the crazy stock he made. I will never part with that rifle. Every time I pick it up I think of him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts