6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There, I have owned a factory built Daniel Defense carbine in 6.8 SPC but sold it to fund another project a few years ago and now I am wanting to get back into the 6.8 game after watching those K&R Ranch hog hunting videos.

I've chosen to go with a Bison Armory 8.5 inch barrel running 90gr Speer projectiles almost exclusively since such a rig would be the most logical choice for a disabled person like myself in the field(I need a cane to walk/stand and my guns need to be easy to maneuver single handed).

I know some of you have put plenty of rounds downrange with the Bison shorty barrels and I wanted some healthy critique/observations of the parts I have selected for my build before I start torquing and staking everything in it's permanent locations.

Bison Armory 6.8 SPC II 8.5in barrel
BRT Mk12 Gas Block with selectable gas port inserts.
V7 Weapons Inconel Pistol Gas Tube
Griffin Armory Taper Mount 2.25in Flash Hider
Daniel Defense M16 5.56 Bolt Carrier
LWRC 6.8 SPC II Bolt Head
BCM Ambi Charging Handle
Aero M4E1 Threaded Uppper Receiver w/ FA
Aero M4E1 Lower Receiver
Aero Atlas R-One 7in MLOK Handguard
Wilson Combat CCU modular trigger
KNS Anti-Rotation Pins
LWRC UCIW Buffer, Receiver Extension and Spring
Noveske short throw ambi safety
BCM Gunfighter pistol grip
SB Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace chopped to UCIW length(maybe fixed length due ATF rules)
KAC RB1 Skyscraper T1 mount
Aimpoint T1 RDS
Aimpoint Twist Lock magnifier mount
Primary Arms long eye relief 3x magnifier(to go with new ATF rules)
Twist Lock adapter for Sionyx Auroroa color night vision device
Griffin Paladin 300 suppressor(UCIW rated by Griffin and LWRC)
Midway Stoner 6.8 SPC 25rd magazines
PRI 25rd magazines
PRI 5rd magazines
Barrett Rec7 30rd magazines

I will be running 90gr Gold Dots or the equivalent whenever possible but may wander off into Bison's arcane subsonic solutions for fun just to see how it all works out and if it can be tuned to cycle without a suppressor if desired.

Have any of you experienced guys had any problems with any of these parts or combinations of parts n your own super short 6.8 builds?

What is barrel wear like on a super short stainless barrel with a fast twist running 90gr Gold Dots?

Any and all observations from other builders would be greatly appreciated so if I have chosen some goofy or bunk items please let me know. Also if there are tips and tricks for any of these selected parts please tell me because I will follow your advice wherever feasible.

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
849 Posts
Looks like a good list. My pistol is a 10mm not a 6.8, but for my full size I use stoner mags. I have the 15 round and 25 rounders. For trigger I use a James Madison Tactical. The rest is all builder preference.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I was hoping someone with experience with this barrel would comment . I'm trying to decide whether I want a 8.5 " 6.8 to put my supressor on or go . 390 bo. I have 12.5 " -16" and 18" 6.8s . I'm leaning towards the 300 because with it you can use bullets that expand over an inch sub sonic . If I was going to be using it more super I would definitely stick with 6.8

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the Vseven short throw is way better then the noveske one.
Whats the twist rate on the bison barrel?
The Bison 8.5" barrel has a 1:7 twist ostensibly for stabilizing longer 200gr subsonic projectiles.

I like the idea of something that knocks on the door of 300BLK performance with subsonics but can still slab out a pig at 200 yards using 90gr Gold Dots(or that MSR clone of it).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't speak to the majority of the parts on your list, as I haven't used them. I also haven't put a lot of rounds down the pipe on my 8.5" Bison barrel yet either. Having said that, it runs fine w/out adj. gas block, w/ & w/out a suppressor (Form 1 can) using supers (110gn OTM Hornady). I haven't really looked into trying subsonic loads as of yet.

I'd caution you on trying to use a Sionyx aurora mounted to it, as the rated versions are only rated for 5.56. Mount the Sionyx to your head, not the pistol. Make sure you have enough height on the RDS riser to see it (~1.93" or taller). Look into an IR laser for an aiming solution as well.

As far as "wear" on the barrel from shooting it, it's a stainless barrel. Heat, aka long strings of rapid fire, are not kind to stainless barrels. If you keep the sustained volume of shooting down, it should be just fine. When the throat erodes enough to negatively impact accuracy, buy another barrel & get back to work. JMO & YMMV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't speak to the majority of the parts on your list, as I haven't used them. I also haven't put a lot of rounds down the pipe on my 8.5" Bison barrel yet either. Having said that, it runs fine w/out adj. gas block, w/ & w/out a suppressor (Form 1 can) using supers (110gn OTM Hornady). I haven't really looked into trying subsonic loads as of yet.

I'd caution you on trying to use a Sionyx aurora mounted to it, as the rated versions are only rated for 5.56. Mount the Sionyx to your head, not the pistol. Make sure you have enough height on the RDS riser to see it (~1.93" or taller). Look into an IR laser for an aiming solution as well.

As far as "wear" on the barrel from shooting it, it's a stainless barrel. Heat, aka long strings of rapid fire, are not kind to stainless barrels. If you keep the sustained volume of shooting down, it should be just fine. When the throat erodes enough to negatively impact accuracy, buy another barrel & get back to work. JMO & YMMV.
All good advice, thanks

Too bad about the Sionyx thing though as head mounted NODS are just too time consuming to get on in a bump in the night situation. I guess 1,000 lumen tac lights are back on the menu. I was kinda looking forward to being able to check things out without shining a bright light to give away my position, oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts