6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to see this website! I am certainly a believer in the 6.8SPC. I always had a hard time trusting the 5.56 to do much in a combat situation when I was in the Army. Fortunately, I never had to put it to the test.

My question - has anyone else out there had problems with their M468? Heard of problems? I am having feed problems with mine - have tried the Barrett Mag that came with the weapon, a PRI mag and C-Products mag. Same feed problems with all - so I suspect the issue is with the rifle.

Weapon is kept very cleaned - both after and before use. Stored in A/C environment and NOT exposed to the elements.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Am waiting on response from Barrett.

Thanks!

Gregg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome aboard. What kind of feed problems are you having? What ammo are you using? Is it with just one type of ammo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I hit the bolt release, the first round in the magazine "hangs up" and the bolt doesn't close all the way. Sometimes pulling back on the charging handle and doing the drill over again works. After the first round, the rest chamber without a problem. At first I thought the rifle just needed some extra lubrication and additional break-in, but I am now at 300 rounds, and clean it regularily.

Problem gets progressively worse as I put more rounds through it during a session. Today, the PRI mag worked without a hitch for two 10 round loads, so at first I thought it was a magazne issue - if you compare a PRI and C-Products 6.8 mag you can see subtle differences which I thought could be causing the problem. Before long though, I started to have the same problem with the PRI mag.

I have been using Hornady 110gr BTHP and SSA 110gr ProHunter.

Thanks!

Gregg

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sounds like the magazines are loaded to full capacity, so much tension on the first round it hangs up. I've seen this with 5.56 weapons as well. For the PRI and C products make sure you have no more than 25 rounds in them, 24 is even better. For the 30 round Barrett's try 28 or 29. I've not had any issues with Barrett's 30 rounders but maybe you just have a tight one.

I haven't needed to tweek any of my PRI mags but the c products have needed the fix. I have six Barrett 30 rounders and the round already sit at an upward angle and feed smoothly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering about that also - new magazines sometimes have issues when loaded to full capacity, so I tried only loading 5 rounds - improved a bit, but still far too many feed issues.

I ordered a magazine feed lip tool from Brownells, and have tweaked one of my C-Product mags so a round angles upwards - hope to get a chance to test next weekend.

Thank you for the response - has been a help to know I have not been the only one experiencing this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
GREGG ; I HAVE SAME PROBLEM; USED MIL-TEC LUBE AND FIRED 5 X WITHOUT PROUBLEM ; NOT ENOUGH TO GIVE TRUE EVUAL. AS I HAD FIRED 50 ROUNDS WITH FAILRE EVERY TIME CANT BE THAT EASY; I NOTIFIED BARRETT NO REPLY YET BUT DID TELL THEM RESULTS WITH MIL-TEC SO MAYBE THEY THINK I SOLVED PROUBLEM; DOUBTFUL. DID YOU GET ANY REPLY? I WAS USING SSA AMMO ; THANKS OLD CUTTER AKA JIM ROHRER [email protected]

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Gregg, has the problem been fixed, or are you still having problems?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is - thanks! The lip feed tool adjuster from Brownells worked, and I also added some Tetra Gun Grease to the bolt. No problems as of late.

I have referred several other people interested in 6.8 to this forum - appears that feed issues are a common problem.

Thanks again everyone!

Gregg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts