6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5,529 Posts
Lots of great choices on the market right now.
I always suggest people to do the following:

1: decide your budget.
2: decide what features are important to you (weight, length, direct thread or mounting system, etc )
3: make your choice based on the above 2.

I run a Silencerco Harvester (original and the new evo) on my 6.8 bolt gun and it is amazing. Very light, minimal length added and joyful sound signature. And, it’s very affordable.
I run a Surefire SOCOM in my 12.5” AR and it isn’t as quiet, but reduces sound enough.
Sounds advise....to add to it

In my experience suppressor selection is dependent on use case rather than "best for XYZ caliber". When I am selecting a can I consider what does it need to do and which features are must have and nice to have.

This will narrow down the options then to get the list narrowed down ever more I eliminate the ones outside of my budget. That should leave a handful on the list.

Now to get the one I will buy I research value for money and long term reviews or repair reviews. If I am stuck between 2 or 3 I may ask around for practical experience with ownership.

· Registered
2 Posts
Need recommendation on suppressor for a 6.8. The coyotes have killed all my fawns and turkey.
I have 6.8 ar's and a bolt action with a 16" H barrel, all threaded. I reload, so I think that will help.
I will be shooting up to 300 yds but mostly 200 yds or so.
I have read some of the older postings but since suppressors or updated constantly, what current ideas.
Thanks
Tony
Leatherneck probably has the best advice. All suppressors in the market today are pretty good quality. Some better, some not as good; but all work well. I like Griffin, so I am partial that direction. Have an Optimus 9 and Bushwacker 46 which I have used on my 6.8 AR to good effect. That said, whatever fits in your budget is what works best.

· Registered
75 Posts
I like my Q Thunder Chicken. It's longish, but I don't mind it. I swap my suppressor(s) between multiple guns, which means you need the barrel mounts. A little more money to spend on mounts, but cheaper and less time consuming than buying multiple suppressors.

· Registered
28 years as FFL 07/SOT
8 Posts
Just curious what a suppressor has to do with coyotes? Just not quite following why you need a suppressor because of the yote problem or what one has to do with the other. I use a suppressor to save my hearing. They are not quiet enough to be able to shoot one without running the rest of them off so not sure how it would help any with the coyote problem. If you want to be really stealthy quiet get a 22 and a rimfire suppressor and shoot subs, or a 300 BO. Those are the quietest guns I have shot suppressed. 6.8 not so much.
That's what I use and have for years...Liberty on my CZ 452 and Aguila subs. Inside 75 to 100yds on calm days you don't need a centerfire rifle. We've killed hundreds of small game to control rabies and deer on crop destruction permits. Rabid critters get buried deep and deer go to "Farmers feeding the poor". and sometimes those that weren't.

I also built a H&R single shot in 44 mag with a can and inside 50 yds it was perfect but past that it got into the basketball trajectory shooting subsonic 265 gr Keith bullets. It was a perfect corn field gun when the 22 subs might get deflected shooting thru the corn at deer...just like the movie...build it and they will come.

· Registered
818 Posts
Concerning a hunting rifle, myself, I’m partial to the lightest weight, followed by shortest length. Again, in My opinion, suppressors add a very noticeable length to a rifle followed very closely by noticeable weight, particularly if you’re stalking and not hunting from a blind/stand.
Ultimately, it’s your investment to get what makes most sense to you.

· Registered
168 Posts
I use a Dead Air Nomad 30. Lots of great options that have been mentioned. I swap between the 6.8 and 300blk rifles. I don't have any experience with other suppressors to be able to compare, but the reduction is sound is excellent! Very impressed. The range officer behind me when I was shooting the 6.8 was also impressed. I'm using the keymo QD system which is handy. I suppose the only downside is that I don't believe it is not full auto rated, not a problem for me.

· Registered
153 Posts
I run two SiCo Omegas on my 6.8s. One 16” the other 12.5”, both are run as DT. IMO the Omega offers the best compromise of OAL, Weight, and Noise Reduction. That being said, I’ve run the DA Sandman Ti, S, K, EA VOXk, SiCo Harvester30, Hybrid46, all work, they’re either too heavy, long, or too loud

· Registered
754 Posts
Remember suppressors are "wear items" and based on type, design, materials like most things get what you pay for. I have used suppressors for a long time back to cans that use rubber wipes and need new "guts" every few hundred rounds. Curr3ntly have well over a dozen of all types. Lots of good cans out there but with political landscape I worry about replacing worn internals like baffles some day down the road.

Now I buy at minimum suppressors with titanium baffles but prefer Inconel as last near forever. If only buying one can to use for a variety of uses over a lifetime I would consider looking at "full auto" rated as most will never wear out a full auto can. The weight savings of titanium or Inconel on end of rifle is another bonus. Consider spending that little extra now and if your can is obsolete or maker out of business in ten years you may not be having to buy a replacement because replacement parts are not available for some odd spec can.

· Registered
243 Posts
Remember suppressors are "wear items" and based on type, design, materials like most things get what you pay for. I have used suppressors for a long time back to cans that use rubber wipes and need new "guts" every few hundred rounds. Curr3ntly have well over a dozen of all types. Lots of good cans out there but with political landscape I worry about replacing worn internals like baffles some day down the road.

Now I buy at minimum suppressors with titanium baffles but prefer Inconel as last near forever. If only buying one can to use for a variety of uses over a lifetime I would consider looking at "full auto" rated as most will never wear out a full auto can. The weight savings of titanium or Inconel on end of rifle is another bonus. Consider spending that little extra now and if your can is obsolete or maker out of business in ten years you may not be having to buy a replacement because replacement parts are not available for some odd spec can.
Another solution are independent shops like ECCO Machine that can recore, repair and build cans.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

· Registered
754 Posts
What concerns me is future legislation like the 2017 ATF ruling on wipes in suppressors that had Dead Air immediately discontinue sales of wipes for one of their popular suppressors.

Have three suppressors from the 1980s and 1990s that use a wipe or multiple wipes. As far as I know still can't replace them myself. My FFL who buy majority of suppressors from sends someone to Lowes to get a handful of rubber washers when I need a wipe change. At work have bins with hundreds of different size rubber washers (used to pull a washer or washers from bin pre 2017 and swap myself) but not only do I get my FFL to swap my wipes now make them charge me and provide receipt.

Lawyer says since I have a machine shop, welders, ability to fabricate almost anything to build a chain of evidence that follow shows intent to follow the rules. I used to put wipes in my "home built" Form 1 cans as a single wipe behind the end cap is a measurable reduction in dB level but now leave them out. Have copies of all my ATF paperwork in console of every vehicle as never know what truck may decide to drive and what firearm may carry.

Today friend had to bring me to Shepard Spinal Center (had 13 surgeries this year and two more before New Years) so had him grab one of my 5.56 pinned suppressor rifles and my FBI issue armored briefcase with suppressed SIG 9mm and spare mags for both guns. Since doc wants me in back brace (started in 2009 after broke spine second time) after examining a covert level 2 vest he said its better support than brace I wear armor daily, even in house when back is hurting. Am so deep in Form and Form 4 items I make sure to be really careful as a trip to Ace Hardware for plumbing parts could be interpreted by aggressive ATF officer as "intent".

Have been interviewed twice and having good paperwork going back to 1980s on NFA items saved me a lot of hassle. In 1996 the Olympic Rowing venue was on lake behind my house and was inside security zone. From my deck the awards podium was about 308 range and rowing lanes began in 22 Hornet range. First day they set up roadblocks had to pass through to get home had a suppressed M11 in seat and tactical turnbolt as well which resulted in a kind visit. Another time ATF was auditing my FFL the day I was picking up 120 AR 15 lowers bought on a deal and had already purchased 60 earlier that year.

Almost wish I was a single suppressor household with a good quick change suppressor could move to whatever firearm I needed it on. My lawyer says 40 years of being a good boy (3 NFA select fires plus SBRs, Form 4 and Form 1 cans) he can prove intent to follow the rules unless get a crazy liberal judge. His biggest warning has been solvent trap parts and advised not using on Form 1 cans even if wait on the form to be approved. Said ATF has used computer records and credit card bills from such providers to build a case. If building a Form 1 can to build the entire thing not get the form then order pre-made parts to screw together.

Watching rule changes over 40 years and now having to take three of my cans to an FFL to have rubber washers replaced is reason for my advice to buy durable can. With a single letter next week "Bills Machine" may not be allowed to work on a suppressor they did not build. A single letter could make it where if original manufacturer is not there to support the product may not be able to get it repaired. This is edge of paranoia but giving current political climate I tend to lean toward paranoia. Buy best can you can afford if going to only have one and keep good paperwork. I have three Firearm Trusts to keep tidy now because of rule changes.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts