6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
ar, bolt, mini
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendation on suppressor for a 6.8. The coyotes have killed all my fawns and turkey.
I have 6.8 ar's and a bolt action with a 16" H barrel, all threaded. I reload, so I think that will help.
I will be shooting up to 300 yds but mostly 200 yds or so.
I have read some of the older postings but since suppressors or updated constantly, what current ideas.
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
668 Posts
Need recommendation on suppressor for a 6.8. The coyotes have killed all my fawns and turkey.
I have 6.8 ar's and a bolt action with a 16" H barrel, all threaded. I reload, so I think that will help.
I will be shooting up to 300 yds but mostly 200 yds or so.
I have read some of the older postings but since suppressors or updated constantly, what current ideas.
Thanks
Tony
I use the q trash panda on my 6.8 12.5” sbr. If you want to here what it sounds like with super sonic loads. Take a look at the my YouTube channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
My 2 cents is go with direct thread, that way you don't have to purchase muzzle devices for each rifle.

I have a Sandman TI and a Q Full Nelson they are the same length and weight. They are both good but my preference is for the Full Nelson as it has a larger diameter and is welded baffles instead of a tube with baffles installed. This gives it a different tone and due to the larger internal capacity "seems" to be a bit more effective at suppression.

·
Super Moderator
12,504 Posts
Just curious what a suppressor has to do with coyotes? Just not quite following why you need a suppressor because of the yote problem or what one has to do with the other. I use a suppressor to save my hearing. They are not quiet enough to be able to shoot one without running the rest of them off so not sure how it would help any with the coyote problem. If you want to be really stealthy quiet get a 22 and a rimfire suppressor and shoot subs, or a 300 BO. Those are the quietest guns I have shot suppressed. 6.8 not so much.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Coyotes and hogs are temporarily confused as to the source of gunfire, allowing multiple follow up shots during engagements...,
Here are two examples:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Lots of great choices on the market right now.
I always suggest people to do the following:

1: decide your budget.
2: decide what features are important to you (weight, length, direct thread or mounting system, etc )
3: make your choice based on the above 2.

I run a Silencerco Harvester (original and the new evo) on my 6.8 bolt gun and it is amazing. Very light, minimal length added and joyful sound signature. And, it’s very affordable.
I run a Surefire SOCOM in my 12.5” AR and it isn’t as quiet, but reduces sound enough.

·
Premium Member
ar, bolt, mini
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good points Woodstock
The suppressor is the first step of coyote/hog setup. Thermal scope next.
I have lost 70 per cent of my hearing already. Trying to use rifles that I have already, 6.8.
Neighbors, wife, dog in equation also.
I like the idea of using the bolt action, thinking it would be quieter than a ar???

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There are a lot of great suppressors out on the market so just expect that responses will only highlight what people are familiar with. I think Leatherneck is right in that you need to consider a few attribute that are important to you. For me, I wanted a system with good choices for Muzzle Devices so I could use one suppressor on multiple firearms. I wanted to firearms to also look and function great w/o the suppressor attached, so even the aesthetics of muzzle devices mattered to me. That's what largely drove me to Griffin Armament's Taper Mount system. I also have and like the Surfire SOCOM system and Rugged system.

There will be a tradeoff in weight and cost.

Consider if you want the extra benefit / cost of a "user serviceable" can

For me, I chose the Griffin Armament Paladin, a lightweight, user serviceable can that supports taper mount or direct thread with an adapter. This is what I use on my 12.5" 6.8

·
Premium Member
ar, bolt, mini
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boilerup
All that makes since to me. I have 3 different types of 6.8 and they all have the same thread so I was thinking I could move the suppressor to any of them if I understand correctly. I am older, 75, so the weight is an issue also.
Good info
Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
I run a variety of cans from direct thread with 0.277" endcap to quick change multicalibler cans. Have to decide if a few db more suppression or wide variety of hosts is most important. My 0.308" multicaliber cans compared to my 0.277" direct thread cans with full power ammo are not significantly different in "sound signature" but there is some. I use cans to reduce number of neighbors affected when killing coyotes. If you can keep range of engagement inside of 125 yards can run subsonic ammo which is where the magic is found.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I run a old tbac 30pss on my 12.5, great for length and takes the edge off for a shot or 2 on deer or yotes.

Lots of great options out there vs my setup, if I had to get something new for deer stand hunting, prolly be another short one like the Ultra 5. Keep in mind the shorter, the louder they are.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts