6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Still trying to get used to the Block 10mm, I removed the rear glo sight and trying a Leupold delta point.
First one ever, is this something you get used to or does it grow on you; and gets better with time?
When picking up or draw; I have a heck of a time finding the dot, twice as long to get on target as with regular good pistol sight, are these sight more or less for hunting and target shooting? or is it something you have to train with to use??
On a another note a pick up a small pack of 180gr hard coat lead and bullets and have them running about 1200 fps for now. I really do like the pistol but it is different
I tried putting a fastfire on my Glock 20--which does not have an optics cut-out on the slide and bought one of those ridiculous plates with screws. It does not work, and I could never get it to stay put to maintain a consistent mount position for the optic. "Finding the dot" is a discussion I just had on another forum--I too had trouble finding the dot and posted something about it. Match shooters basically say they are worth the training--but you DO have to train. I found a few videos on YouTube by professional shooters, as far as I could tell you basically have to learn to draw and present the gun with the proper level (meaning the dot already centered in the optic glass) to become proficient with it's use. For me, it was too much of a challenge without having a professional trainer help--so I removed the fastfire and returned to using the stock irons.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I tried putting a fastfire on my Glock 20--which does not have an optics cut-out on the slide and bought one of those ridiculous plates with screws. It does not work, and I could never get it to stay put to maintain a consistent mount position for the optic. "Finding the dot" is a discussion I just had on another forum--I too had trouble finding the dot and posted something about it. Match shooters basically say they are worth the training--but you DO have to train. I found a few videos on YouTube by professional shooters, as far as I could tell you basically have to learn to draw and present the gun with the proper level (meaning the dot already centered in the optic glass) to become proficient with it's use. For me, it was too much of a challenge without having a professional trainer help--so I removed the fastfire and returned to using the stock irons.
I'm thinking that I shoot and carry different pistols for different situations and that I shouldn't spend to much time on this, It's pretty cool, I really like the shake and wake dot but still I have to look for it, this pistol was bought for woods and swamp walking with power and rounds; I won't and don't have time to look for the sight..

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm thinking that I shoot and carry different pistols for different situations and that I shouldn't spend to much time on this, It's pretty cool, I really like the shake and wake dot but still I have to look for it, this pistol was bought for woods and swamp walking with power and rounds; I won't and don't have time to look for the sight..
The hotshot shooters tell me it's worth it to train enough to get proficient at; my problem is that I just don't shoot handguns all that often to really get good at em (though I do have a dozen or so of them that I feel I'm "good enough" with). The hunting handguns I have are big revolvers with scopes, my Glock 20 I convert back and forth from 10mm to 9 x 25 Dillon which can fire a 9mm bullet VERY fast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Still trying to get used to the Block 10mm, I removed the rear glo sight and trying a Leupold delta point.
First one ever, is this something you get used to or does it grow on you; and gets better with time?
When picking up or draw; I have a heck of a time finding the dot, twice as long to get on target as with regular good pistol sight, are these sight more or less for hunting and target shooting? or is it something you have to train with to use??
On a another note a pick up a small pack of 180gr hard coat lead and bullets and have them running about 1200 fps for now. I really do like the pistol but it is different
Drawing with a RDS is no different that drawing with regular sights. Both take practice to develop the muscle memory to get quickly on target. When i put new sights on my handguns i spend 15-20 minutes a day, just going from a "low ready" to presenting the gun on a target (i use an old dart board on the wall for something safe to point at). I start with a low ready then move to drawing from the holster once i get some muscle memory.

The first time i handled a handgun with a RDS I had a heck of a time finding the dot. But with some practice ive grown to like it, especially if you don't have the greatest eyesight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Try Underwood for Factory 10mm

Don't reload yet, but do like Underwood factory ammo for everything handgun from 380 up to 10 mm. Lots of choices in 10 mm. Fast stuff....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I can certainly see the appeal, and I don't live in Alaska.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Going to one of the biggest gun shows in the state(Raleigh, NC), November 23 & 24. I’m looking for a 1911 in 10mm. Been wanting one for awhile, and this thread has made me want one more.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Going to one of the biggest gun shows in the state(Raleigh, NC), November 23 & 24. I’m looking for a 1911 in 10mm. Been wanting one for awhile, and this thread has made me want one more.
Give the Ruger SR1911 a look-see. Lot's of features at a won't break the bank price. A ramped barrel is a desirable 10mm 1911 feature.

Here's mine........added EdBrown arched MSH w/magwell, Pearce finger grips and Burris FF reflex.

SR 10mm.jpg

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Give the Ruger SR1911 a look-see. Lot's of features at a won't break the bank price. A ramped barrel is a desirable 10mm 1911 feature.
...and tapered bull without a barrel bushing. Nice and tight locking barrel feature. Really accurate right out of the box.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd also give Springfield armory's new 10mm 6" version of the operator a serious look--that extra inch will make a difference over the 5" versions. SA pistols are generally very reliable.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Glock 40 is a good selection and choice if you want a hunting and woodsy gun. Its a little big for "General Carry" some others say.

I took a deer yesterday with a Glock 40, standard iron sights in near low light conditions. All that dry firing and sight picturing on live deer paid off pretty well. I'm going to get an RMR for it next season, in a black hawk glock safe holster I was surprised how well the 6" barrel worked. Its more compact than my Ruger Superredhawk for hip riding. The RMR will fight with the black hawk holster. The G40 fit all the needs I need for a trail/woods/hunting hand gun, well a G20 can do that two but since I could only afford 1 at the time I went with the more multipurpose model. I would of got the PRO Match Ultra 6” HC - 10mm 52000 but Couldn't find one at the time. So went with the AR of hand guns a glock for after market support products.

One thing to note my After Market Barrel a Lone Wolf Alpha Wolf didn't like the hornady 180 XTP HPs. A lot of FTF when I had to hand rack it a few times but the first shot I did was a one shot DRT. Its not "TROPHY" sausage buck but will be a good eater. I'm switch back to the regular glock barrel for the G40 after test hand racking/cycling other JHPs. I had the LW AW barrel in for the 200 lead hard cast from DT due to bears trying to break in the farm house due to people putting damn bait stations on both sides of the property. I never figured I needed to change it...seems I do. I think it might be the feed ramp or tighter tolerances, I'll check with my regular Older model lone wolf barrels on them as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me too

I finally found an old aftermarket 4.6" G29 barrel with no ports, think I'll try out the Gen4 to Gen4 adapter with a G20 slide, and remove the finger grooves. I put the round extender on 2 of my mags, swapped the front post out for a front sight plug and installed a rear bullseye sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
10mm is great round I have killed deer out to 80yds with one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a Springfield Armory XDM-10 this past summer after looking at 10mm for the last two years. Originally I bought it primarily as a backup handgun when hunting, but it’s become my daily carry. 200gr Underwood Hard Cast should stop any threat in North America

·
Registered
74 Posts
My ccw of choice since 2005 is a
Glock 29. I load the Hornady 155 gn XTP using a healthy dose of Power Pistol. Its proven to be a very accurate load & I’ve killvested a lot of big feral hogs with it over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm in the same damn boat.... I have a Gen3 G20 and Gen3 G29. Lw 6" barrel for the G20 but it just looks funny lol. I'd love a dedicated hunter but choosing between the P220, G40, Springfield Operator or SR1911 is just a losing battle lol. I own a 10.5" RW upper in 10mm that I love too but can't really carry that...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Les Baer Hunter 6” long slide. I reload a copy of Underwoods extreme Hunter. I’ve killed both deer and hogs out to 50 yds. I did recover one bullet in a deer after a through the ribs and far shoulder just under the skin. All the rest pass through with massive wounds.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts