6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gun show got the best of me today: I've never been a block'y Glock fan at all but I brought home a mod 20 this afternoon. After only 25 rounds just before dark I think this thing will be a keeper, different sound, different push recoil and at 15 yard rang a 8" gong like a an old brass bell. yep a keeper I think it will be ;)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'm not a Glock block fan either so I purchased a Ruger 1911 10mm. With stout handloads, it's a whole new world for the 1911. It really comes to life!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My first pistol (G20) in 1991. Ex-wife got it by mistake after I made a comment about a G21. However, after shooting it I knew it was with me to stay. If you are going to reload full power, do yourself a favor and get a 21-22# recoil spring. Will feel better and keep your brass from being flung into the next county. (10mike-mikers are brass rats)

It's what got me into reloading and the shared lineage w the 6.8 is cool.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not a Glock block fan either so I purchased a Ruger 1911 10mm. With stout handloads, it's a whole new world for the 1911. It really comes to life!
Moose I have a .45acp, Colt Government mod. and I agree on the 1911's,,, their is nothing in my safe that fits my hand and points like it. I just wanted more round count for when I stroll through the swamp, we are over run with hogs and now plenty of bears.... I was kind of worried about weight but both fully loaded one with 8-240gr and the other with 15-180gr and only a couple of ounces more I couldn't resist the want...
New sights on the way and looking for the right holster; it's going to be all good.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first pistol (G20) in 1991. Ex-wife got it by mistake after I made a comment about a G21. However, after shooting it I knew it was with me to stay. If you are going to reload full power, do yourself a favor and get a 21-22# recoil spring. Will feel better and keep your brass from being flung into the next county. (10mike-mikers are brass rats)

It's what got me into reloading and the shared lineage w the 6.8 is cool.
Copied and saved on the springs greentick, Thanks ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Definitely get the 22# spring if you're contemplating full-house loads (why else would you want one?) and I think it's a good idea to switch to a solid stainless one-spring guide rod. I don't know about the reduced ejection thing--my G20 has been known to knock satellites out of orbit with it's spent brass. If you don't have one already--make sure you have a fully supported case chamber barrel, preferably 6" in length, if you want to see those 10mm loads shine.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Got the same one. It was my second Glock. Handload the big 10. Now on 180 XTPs.

15+1 of sure fire power. The G20 is pleasant to shoot too! In the hog woods, what’s not to like.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i like the 10mm enough that i have three a 20sf glock, dan wesson pm-7 10mm and a eea witness elite match 10mm. Every one of them has new recoil springs 22lb. the glock i use for home defense or carry. i carry the either of the other two when in the woods

·
Registered
280 Posts
i like the 10mm enough that i have three a 20sf glock, dan wesson pm-7 10mm and a eea witness elite match 10mm. Every one of them has new recoil springs 22lb. the glock i use for home defense or carry. i carry the either of the other two when in the woods
That dan Wesson I bet is sweet. I've got my eye on SA's elite operator as my next 10mm pistol.

Once you get to know the 10mm well--then you'll be ready for the next step up-- 9x25 Dillon--IMO the hottest pistol cartridge going if you like the idea of a 9mm bullet going 3000 fps. : )

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TruGlo TFX Pro.jpg New sights on the 20 and I'm liking the block more and more.
Santa's getting in my pocket hard already so this will be a one piece at a time thing and it looks like a thousand different parts, manufactures, stores and websites for the Glock, I'm not sure where to start for the rest of the wants... Help please...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not sure what gen you got. I got the calibration pack from Wolff. Read the descriptions. I also did a steel guide rod at the same time.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what gen you got. I got the calibration pack from Wolff. Read the descriptions. I also did a steel guide rod at the same time.
It's a Gen-4, greentick and after re-reading what I wrote it's A Glock-40 long slide and barrel with the cut out for optics,, don't know where I got 20 from:a32:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
10mm

Welcome to the 10MM club. If you're going to reload at the upper end of 10MM performance (I load 200grn hardcast GC to 1,300fps in my G20 6"KKM), you might want to upgrade to a more fully supported chamber barrel like KKM, Lone Wolf and others to avoid the infamous case "smiley" or bulge.. Good off the shelf ammo would be the Hornady XTP's and the Sig Sauer Performance ammo. The DD guide holster is a great choice for hunting carry. I use a Burris Fast Fire optic.......many trigger options out there to improve the mushy Glock trigger but they'll never approach 1911 excellence, and with practice you can achieve excellent accuracy with your Glock as is. enjoy!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holsters do seem to be hard to find for this long slide'd thing, I mostly use and like the locking type holsters such as blackhawk for woods walking, atv riding and other,,, maybe something like a leg or thigh holster for the long Glock-40
Any ideas if the blackhawk holster or other similar holsters for the G20 will work with the G40??
Besides the slide and barrel protruding through the end of the holster, are the frames the same; the slides the same width on the Gen-4?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the 10MM club. If you're going to reload at the upper end of 10MM performance (I load 200grn hardcast GC to 1,300fps in my G20 6"KKM), you might want to upgrade to a more fully supported chamber barrel like KKM, Lone Wolf and others to avoid the infamous case "smiley" or bulge.. Good off the shelf ammo would be the Hornady XTP's and the Sig Sauer Performance ammo. The DD guide holster is a great choice for hunting carry. I use a Burris Fast Fire optic.......many trigger options out there to improve the mushy Glock trigger but they'll never approach 1911 excellence, and with practice you can achieve excellent accuracy with your Glock as is. enjoy!
The 6" kkm barrel and SS guide rod/springs are definitely on my lest, thinking of 200gr hard cast, hard coat flat nose??

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
10MM info..........

-Ammo: Double Tap is a good source for the FN hardcast, either loaded or components for reloading

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=125_395

-Holsters: Two G-40 holster options for hunting are.......

-D&D Guides Choice This is the one I use for my G-20

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

g20 DD.JPG

- And Kenai (I have one of these for my Ruger SR 1911 10MM)

https://gunfightersinc.com/shop/custom-kenai-chest-holster/

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holsters do seem to be hard to find for this long slide'd thing, I mostly use and like the locking type holsters such as blackhawk for woods walking, atv riding and other,,, maybe something like a leg or thigh holster for the long Glock-40
Any ideas if the blackhawk holster or other similar holsters for the G20 will work with the G40??
Besides the slide and barrel protruding through the end of the holster, are the frames the same; the slides the same width on the Gen-4?
Answered my own thoughts or question and tried a Blackhawk for a G20 and the G40 fits and locks perfect with about 1.25" sticking out of the end. This will work for now for woods/swamp walking,maybe something nicer later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Answered my own thoughts or question and tried a Blackhawk for a G20 and the G40 fits and locks perfect with about 1.25" sticking out of the end. This will work for now for woods/swamp walking,maybe something nicer later.
I was going to point you in the direction of G-Code and Bravo Concealment but neither make holsters for the large frame glocks for some reason. May be worth looking into safariland if you end up wanting something to replace the blackhawk.

EDIT* I cant post the link beings im a newb.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to point you in the direction of G-Code and Bravo Concealment but neither make holsters for the large frame glocks for some reason. May be worth looking into safariland if you end up wanting something to replace the blackhawk.

EDIT* I cant post the link beings im a newb.
Thank's; and I will still be looking around for other holsters, barrels, up grades of all kinds, but for now this will work for what I like to do, it's out of my way for Bow hunting, no flaps or snaps to worry with, covered trigger, draws quickly and easily with out holding moisture.. I do wish it a better belt loop system and maybe little heaver/stronger build... I have four other blackhawk holsters and have come accustom to them I guess.
Shell holder, reloading dies and some hard cast hard coated bullets on the way:a21:

I understand about the posting rules but you'll have you numbers up before you know it if you like the forum.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Delta Point Pro 2.5

Still trying to get used to the Block 10mm, I removed the rear glo sight and trying a Leupold delta point.
First one ever, is this something you get used to or does it grow on you; and gets better with time?
When picking up or draw; I have a heck of a time finding the dot, twice as long to get on target as with regular good pistol sight, are these sight more or less for hunting and target shooting? or is it something you have to train with to use??
On a another note a pick up a small pack of 180gr hard coat lead and bullets and have them running about 1200 fps for now. I really do like the pistol but it is different

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts