6.8 SPC Forums banner

I gotta ask

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  rcrandall 
#1 ·
I'm a former lurker, and haven't posted before really, but am considering getting a Mini 14 in 6.8 for a light caliber hunter. But I am reading a lot of articles of elk hunting with the 6.8 and I have to ask, is this the norm?

Please, I am NOT here to diss the 6.8, honestly not, but having never shot an elk (barely saw them on the one hunt I did) but I have always read that even the 243 was minimal for elk, and it has a lot more power than the 6.8, so what gives?

As a deer round it seems that with the right load/bullet, it is an honest 300yrd round, but for an elk I see maybe 150yds? Is there something I have missed?

Again this is not a post meant to flame or cut it at all, but am wondering if it's being used well beyond where it really should.

#2 ·
H shot an elk with the 110 grain accubond at 347 yards one shot on kill....

It all comes down to putting the right bullet in the right spot.

I would use the 6.8 for elk, but if I was going on a trophy hunt and might only have one chance at one, I would probably bring something a little bigger for some added insurance.

#3 ·
It's all about bullet placement and bullet construction. More powerful cartridges might give you a little more forgiveness on a so, so shot. It's all personal preference on what you use. I've killed alot of deer with handguns that are alot less powerful than most rifle cartridges. It's just about hitting them in the right spot.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.