6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I broke in a virgin shooter...

So we have this Engineer up from Florida assisting us with a project that was way behind schedule. He's been here for about a month and he's been commenting that he's seen every opening movie so far, and also that he's seen all the tourist attractions around. There's only so many time you can go see the Pike Place Market and Snoqualmie Fall here is Seattle.

I was going to go out shooting that upcoming weekend and asked if he wanted to go along. He said it sounded like a better plan than he already had. I asked if he'd been shooting before and he laughed and said yeah, all the time, and he paused... and added "In X-Box". I laughed, and was like, "Really"? and he said, "Yeah, man, I've never shot a real gun in my life".

So the following Saturday morning we head out to some public National Forest Land East of Seattle. I truly despise "shooting ranges" with all their "damn rules". Anyway, we go to this place that I know of, probably, 75 yard for the longest shot. I place a 12" metal target about 25 feet out, and two 6" metal targets at the 75 yard mark. We talked about safety etc... then proceeded to shoot several hundred .22lr through a pistol at the 12" target 25 feet out, and another hundred 9mm at the same 12" target. I reiterated about keeping your finger out of the trigger guard, and muzzle discipline, and never sweep someone etc... hitting the 12 target at 25 feet was do'able, and provided feedback that we (he) was hitting where he aimed. We then fired six twenty five round magazines of 6.8 at the 6" targets at 75 yards. You can hit those shots all day long. My rifle has a 2-7x33 scope, so, yeah, you hit the 6 inch plates all day long. We moved on to .458 SOCOM and fired about 10 rounds of four different loads that I loaded. The 458 kicks pretty good, and it kept knocking over the targets after a couple of shots so we did a bit of walking back an forth.

When we were all done shooting and all the firearms were back in the trunk, I broke out the little ice chest and we had a victory brew. Good times.

I'm pretty sure the dude enjoyed it, he keeps asking when we're going again. I tell him that we need to buy his first rifle. I'm thinking of suggesting a Ruger 10/22, or a Marlin 795. I'm not up on all the Marlin models, but maybe I should do some research... Maybe I'll get one for myself.

Anyway, overall it was a good time, and I think I've spawned another shooter...

Peace.

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
Go to the Marlin Owners forum and "know-up" before buying a Marlin. When they were bought out in '09, the factory was shut down and a line opened up in Ilion, NY where Remingtons are made. All the know-how of building Marlins was lost when the move happened. They had hell learning how to make a lever action.

Congrats on the outing.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
If he really liked the ARs, then a good AR is good way to go. There are tons of 5.56 AR models out there for good prices, and that ammo is sold everywhere. Even a .277 Wolverine would be a good choice if he might want to get into hunting. Commercially loaded ammo from subsonic to supersonic is available as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh man, that's a lot of firearms transfers without going through a background check.
Thanks asshole (just kidding about the asshole part) for reminding me of our new background check law. For people that don't know, here in Washington State, Bloomberg came in and spent 10's of millions on a Universal Background Check law campaign (backdoor firearm location database law), and my stupid neighbors (other Washingtonians) stuck their tongue so far his ass they could taste what he had for breakfast. It's totally understandable being as there's so many anti 1%'re around here... (sarcasm off) God people are stupid. And they are proving it again, by supporting Bill's whore of a wife... Anyway, the background check law, stipulates that I can't go out to some private or public land to shoot and while doing so, I can't hand a rifle or pistol or shotgun to you to shoot or even to look at, unless you get a background check. Yep, NCIS 4473, for me to hand a firearm to you. And even worse, being that it was my firearm to begin with, you can't hand it back to me without me going through a background check. F'ing insanity. It makes my blood boil.

Go to the Marlin Owners forum and "know-up" before buying a Marlin. When they were bought out in '09, the factory was shut down and a line opened up in Ilion, NY where Remingtons are made. All the know-how of building Marlins was lost when the move happened. They had hell learning how to make a lever action.
Congrats on the outing.
Thanks RD, I owned a marlin years (and years) ago, I can't even remember which model. I also had 10/22. Back then, both seemed "good enough" and today, I want to support the underdog. I may change my mind after further research. Thanks for the heads up...

If he really liked the ARs, then a good AR is good way to go. There are tons of 5.56 AR models out there for good prices, and that ammo is sold everywhere. Even a .277 Wolverine would be a good choice if he might want to get into hunting. Commercially loaded ammo from subsonic to supersonic is available as well.
Acutally, I am thinking of stearing the dude towards a 5.56 AR. I think everyone should own one. Just so versatile (as we all know).

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts