6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather new member here but been lurking for years. I’m a die hard hunter and since the silencer decade the ways I use to hunt and rifles I use to use have evolved but now finding myself wanting to put the cans away and at the same time hang up the ear pro for deer hunting only. It had been a long while since I popped off a shot without either ear pro or a can and the other day by mistake and or an aging brain, I made a terrible mistake. I was on my property working and toward the end of the day had to chrono 3 rounds, threw my ear pro on my head, mag in the weapon walked 5 steps to the chrono dropped the bolt and pow!
Yea forgot to lower my ear pro, 29.4 grains of 4198 in an 8” 6.8 with you guessed it, dang muzzle brake. Took 2 days to shake that one off and now thinking about pulling the brakes off my hunting rifles and going to 3 prongs or bird cages. Anybody have experience shooting 6.8 and there alike with 18-20” barrels with either 3 prongs or bird cages without ear pro that could offer input?
35 years ago when I use to hunt with 6mm rem Carbine crowned I didn’t have a problem popping 1 off here and there for hunting purposes without ear pro, so what say the 68ers here, should I just keep hunting rifles crowned muzzled or you think 3 prongs and birdcages are doable?
When I popped off that 8” braked little monster I could feel the pressure like somebody had a air hose stuck up my nose haha, no joke

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
If you are using your 6.8mm for hunting, why use a muzzle device at all? I use a thread protector on my hunting ARs. I also use noise cancelling ear protection. I can adjust the volume to actually hear better and they keep my ears warm in the cool/cold weather. I like the noise cancelling because I can hear the bullet impact which is a good indication that I connected with the shot.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had used Ear muffs like those for awhile but after a couple hours they would painful to wear

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is what my family uses.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Linear compensator is the answer to the question you seem to be asking. Muzzle devices that direct sound and blast away from the shooter. Definitely not quiet or hearing safe.

Owning silencers and electronic earmuffs and deciding not to use either seems silly, to be honest. Electronic earplugs, as have been mentioned, are more comfortable than earmuffs.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
One of the reasons the Bushmaster Door Gunner never caught on..........muzzle blast.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Let me say you're not alone in remembering your hear gear .009 seconds to late .

Bird cages I think actually make the blast worse if you're anywhere other than dead square behind the thing . The old timers refer to what I have as the little crickets that keep me company . Advancements what they are I should be springing for hear gear but I think I'll wait for the spring line up . I've been an always covered on the line , when I remember in the field guy . If I have time to prep for a shot it's easy . Don't be me .

I like those buds .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Blast forward devise.. No problems popping a shot off or two on a 16" or so barrel. 12" and under run full ear eye and face protection from the thermonuclear blast.. lol

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I have a 14.5” 308 with a triple port muzzle brake on it. I’ll never shoot it without ear pro! My neighbor is half deaf without his aids and didn’t think he’d need ear pro when he shot it. Now he knows better!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was going to direct you to AR15performance.com to look for one of his "gas forward" muzzle devices. I just looked at the website and don't see them listed anymore.
I fired my 16' 6.8 with the brake that came with my can and it was a great warm up for having Tinnitus in the future!

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Tromix has some very nice muzzle devices.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Look into Kaw Valley linear comps. I got one for my 16" ARP and it has made a world of difference over the bird cage. Fortunately I have one of H's linear comps on the 18" and it's not bad either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look into Kaw Valley linear comps. I got one for my 16" ARP and it has made a world of difference over the bird cage. Fortunately I have one of H's linear comps on the 18" and it's not bad either.
Yes sir. I run the same, definitely works and did not affect accuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Insane to ever fire a shot if your life doesn't depend on it without a silencer or muffs. I never will. Ears are already bad enough from playing in a band in my youth. Maybe with a 26"+ long hunting rifle with no brake on the end but even then, you're asking for hearing damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts